Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
There is lag on the Note 3.

About battery: Ars technica has the iPhone 5s having better browsing battery life in WIFI, for example. Anandtech too, I think.

Nova launcher doesn't negate touchwiz on the status bar, dialer apps, settings apps, built in apps, etc. It's always there.

A bigger iPhone certainly has the potential to (together with the 4.7 and even 4" models) annihilate everybody else on the premium segment. Let's see.
Some may get lag on the note 3 but plenty don't. I certainly have never experienced any.

I can't comment on the 5s as never had it but the note blew the battery life away from the difference of my iPhone 5

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Some may get lag on the note 3 but plenty don't. I certainly have never experienced any.

I can't comment on the 5s as never had it but the note blew the battery life away from the difference of my iPhone 5

Of course they do. It isn't difficult, just open the phone app if you have more than 5 contacts.

Besides lack of support, Exynos ships are also known to be the touchwiz of mobile processors, so there's that.

If you use the same settings, usually the battery life is on par by the looks of it. Of course, the note has more standby time.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I agree I also never had any lag on my note 3 when I was using it.

I owned the iPhone 5S for a month. I found the battery on the note 3 to be better.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Of course they do. It isn't difficult, just open the phone app if you have more than 5 contacts.

Besides lack of support, Exynos ships are also known to be the touchwiz of mobile processors, so there's that.

If you use the same settings, usually the battery life is on par by the looks of it. Of course, the note has more standby time.

Touchwize of mobile processors? The playing field may be level now... But at one point they were the best.

Your over exaggerating the lag present. I hate Touchwize.... And am not a big fan of Samsung. But it's not as bad as you are painting.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
There is lag on the Note 3.

About battery: Ars technica has the iPhone 5s having better browsing battery life in WIFI, for example. Anandtech too, I think.

Nova launcher doesn't negate touchwiz on the status bar, dialer apps, settings apps, built in apps, etc. It's always there.

A bigger iPhone certainly has the potential to (together with the 4.7 and even 4" models) annihilate everybody else on the premium segment. Let's see.
I haven't experienced much lag with the note 3 but it depends how you define it. There's certainly some lag, as otherwise all apps would open instantaneously. However, it's how this lag is actually dealt with. On the iphone, there are transitions that hide the lag, whereas not always on Android. Either way the lag isn't enough to be bothersome.

raf66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the responses. You folks have given me some very detailed info.

I recognize that the 5.5" iP6 isn't a foregone conclusion at this point, but I'm holding out hope that it will be announced AND released at the same time as the 4.7" version. If it's not, I will likely pick the N4.

Since I use my phone for so many things besides, well, the phone, I need a device that will allow me to review/revise docs, surf the interwebz, text and email, read e-books, watch the occasional movie, work within a calendaring system, etc. in a more comfortable environment than my iP5 permits due mostly to screen size. The pen sounds like something I would use fairly regularly, and being able to multitask while on the phone also sounds like a plus, especially since I do so many things with the phone. And I do use the phone for my modest photography needs, and frankly the iP5 hasn't wowed me in that department, though I've always blamed it on the photographer rather than the camera. I think poor lighting seems to be my biggest undoing.

On the flip side, Apple's build quality and iOS have really impressed me (it was my first iPhone), and it plays well with my iMac at home. And iMessage/FaceTime are features that I've grown accustomed to since so many colleagues, friends and family members have iPhones. I've never really had a complaint about battery life with my 5. It's probably not nearly as good as some out there, but I haven't found myself anywhere where I am unable to charge the phone when the need arises.

As far as lag goes, I'm assuming that even if the N3/4 (or other new Android devices on KK) have some small amount of it, it won't be nearly as pronounced as I had on my Droid X many years ago. It made using the phone difficult toward the end of its life cycle. And while some here have said they've noticed a little bit of lag, many state they notice no lag. Maybe it's no longer an issue on the newer Android devices.

I'm not necessarily married to the iOS ecosystem, and I'm sure I don't take advantage of it nearly as much as I could. However I really do prefer the iOS of my iPhone (smoother response, never a perceptible lag, no crashes, great apps) over the old Android OS I've used in the past. Perhaps the newer iterations have closed the gap. I'm not a jailbreaker and don't plan on being a rooter, so I am just looking for something that works right out of the box. I have no doubt that the Android OS will probably work just fine for my needs, even if it may not be appreciably better (or worse) than iOS.

Thanks again for giving me so much info. I'm excited to see what the September announcements have in store for us consumers.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
No comparison IMO. Wacom digitizer and stylus with its own silo and the tiny bezels just make this a no brainer it's so much better than the ip6 rumors, of course this is for MY uses. I like iOS and at times miss its simplicity, but the other 99% of the time I don't miss feeling like I'm in 2005.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Every time i use iOS, i'm surprised how many things that are negative reminds me of Android, my OS of choice.

Scrolling, is under accelerated and android is over. Neither os does it right imo. The touch response on the iPad Air and 5S is awful. Two years ago before iOS 7 it was good i wonder what happened. it's slow to respond on the home screen and often misses my touch, an android trait.

It's still smoother with lag and pinch to zoom but you got to wonder what apple is going to screw up next, while android keeps getting steadily nicer to use every year.

It's like they even had to copy Android issues and bugs which is like WTF why?

I do like the badges and blue dot when you update an app. That's nice, and something android needs.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Couple of Samsung gimmicks like split screen, tool box and one hand use might come handy with bigger screen.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Couple of Samsung gimmicks like split screen, tool box and one hand use might come handy with bigger screen.

Split screen is SICK, I can never go back. If you root then there is an app that allows you to split screen any app. It's definitely not a gimmick, it's pretty awesome.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
S-Pen yes but split screen on a 5.5-8" phone ain't going to matter, still too small.

It matters greatly on my note 3. I use split screen on a daily basis. Its one of those duh features you wonder how you got along with after using it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
S-Pen yes but split screen on a 5.5-8" phone ain't going to matter, still too small.

It matters to me. I've used it on my note 3 and now on my S5. It comes in handy when you want to watch a YouTube video but also browse the Web. Or if you need two an pages open at the same time.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
It matters to me. I've used it on my note 3 and now on my S5. It comes in handy when you want to watch a YouTube video but also browse the Web. Or if you need two an pages open at the same time.

Really you browse the web on 1/2 a S5 screen do you use a magnifying glass? :eek:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It's probably still bigger than the original iphone screen at half size so....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Really you browse the web on 1/2 a S5 screen do you use a magnifying glass? :eek:

It's pretty easy. If you can web browse on an iPhone 4S or 5S then I don't see why you can't seem browse on half the S5 screen. Remember the windows are adjustable so you can resize them. However at least you are not as bad as those claiming that the screen on the iPad Air is too small for multi window.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
At what resolution?

If I cover half of my S5, I can still read the other half, go figure?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
It's pretty easy. If you can web browse on an iPhone 4S or 5S then I don't see why you can't seem browse on half the S5 screen. Remember the windows are adjustable so you can resize them. However at least you are not as bad as those claiming that the screen on the iPad Air is too small for multi window.

Geez, 5S = 4". 1/2 a S5 is 2.55, how is that comparable. Adjust your s5 to 4" what you going to do on 1" lol.
Open your eyes :p

I am all for multitasking would of liked a 10" tab s if it had a s-pen and didn't lag.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Geez, 5S = 4". 1/2 a S5 is 2.55, how is that comparable. Adjust your s5 to 4" what you going to do on 1" lol.
Open your eyes :p

I am all for multitasking would of liked a 10" tab s if it had a s-pen and didn't lag.

The resolution at half is more than enough to browse the web...

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
I would also consider LG G3 along with 5.5"iP6 and Note 4. At least that is my shortlist I will select one of by end of this year

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Robster3 is trying to get a reaction from you guys. He doesn't like Samsung phones. So he is going to say something negative about them whenever he can. Just an FYI for you guys. This why he is on my ignore list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.