Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Very good analogy. Speaking for the Nikon, the "old" D300S which I use has been out for 5 years now with no replacement in site. But much like the "young" 2012 Mac mini it still works fine for most people.

People used to use their film cameras for decades (I used a Minolta SRT102 for over 20 years). No reason to expect annual replacements for technology items as they become mature. Frankly I'd go broke if I had to replace my stable of Macs every year.

Even though the D300s is still very much a capable workhorse, it's starting to show its age around these high iso bodies being pumped out. With the current rumor of Nikon releasing yet another full frame during Photokina (a D750) aimed towards sports photos, I think we can kiss any update to the pro crop body line goodbye.

----------

Mac Mini... I'm hoping for an additional thunderbolt port (or two)

I don't see that happening since thunderbolt is something you can daisy chain.

----------

My wish list is upgradeability. At least a small chance of being able to swap out two drives and the ram with my chubby and clumsy fingers.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just noticed: 3279th post on a thread that was started because some time in 2013 two Italian resellers ran out of MacMinis... I sure hope they got some new supplies in the last year...

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I pulled the trigger today on an i7 quad-core Mac Mini at 2.6GHz, after waiting since July 2013 for the Godot update. So if the new Mini drops on September 9, all I can say is: you're welcome.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
It's hilarious how often this is raised - for any Apple product that is getting a bit long in the tooth. First, the future is mobile. Second, they are not repositioning, they are positioned. And lastly, it doesn't mean they've abandoned desktop Macs. If I had a nickel for each time this doom was forecast while we were all waiting for news of a Mac Pro refresh, I'd have a controlling interest in Apple stock by now.

If you can show me where I said abandon Desktops then I will hold my hand up. It's bad form to embroider or misquote what someone else has written simply to embellish your own post.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I don't see that happening since thunderbolt is something you can daisy chain.

Except not all ThunderBolt devices do daisy-chain, If part of the Thunderbolt standard required at least 2 Thunderbolt ports on every device (including new display port devices) it would different.

Personally I'd rather lose a USB3 port or two and gain another Thunderbolt Port as it is more versatile.

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
But does anyone have a spare AC3 RF demodulator with coaxial digital output that I can have? That is the last piece of hardware I need for hooking up my laserdisc player to my Mini, I already have the coaxial digital to USB...

No, but I have a laserdisc of "A boy and his dog". Don't ask why because I don't have a player...I think I liked the cover because it fits with all my old vinyl.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
I would think if we get nothing on 9/9/14 then the mini is history.

No.

several mac line ups went the same +2 years cycles including Mac Pro and if i'm not mistaken the white Mac Book and didn't get any updates.

It makes sense they release a new smaller mini with SSD and new display at an event in Oct when Yosmite is released. If not, then i think it will be released next year with the new iMacs.

I think the mac mini is just a victim of last year poor iMac sales and the slow release of the Mac Pro, Apple just don't want to release it now.

Matintosh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Mac Nano

Looking at the way things are going with the entry level iMac I would guess the next Mini will have all soldered RAM and SSD and not be upgradable.

Personally that would suit me fine, but for many it will leave a hole in the lineup of headless Macs. Perhaps they will split the Mini line into an entry level Mac Nano and a new mid level Mac Mini - with a dedicated GPU.

I'm still hoping they will officially allow external GPUs through the Thunderbolt ports - this could make any TB mac a more capable gaming machine.

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Last Working Day of Mid 2014

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, today is the last working day of the Mid2014 release time frame. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Mini around 10:00am Pacific... ;) (is the Apple Store site down yet?) Have a Great Friday everyone!

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
No.

several mac line ups went the same +2 years cycles including Mac Pro and if i'm not mistaken the white Mac Book and didn't get any updates.

It makes sense they release a new smaller mini with SSD and new display at an event in Oct when Yosmite is released. If not, then i think it will be released next year with the new iMacs.

I think the mac mini is just a victim of last year poor iMac sales and the slow release of the Mac Pro, Apple just don't want to release it now.

No new Mac Mini before new iMacs for sure. I would think Apple would release new iMacs in October for holiday sales if possible but if not then you're probably looking at about second quarter 2015.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Looking at the way things are going with the entry level iMac I would guess the next Mini will have all soldered RAM and SSD and not be upgradable.

This was part of my decision to pull the trigger yesterday. I'm upgrading from a mid-2010, in which I've bumped the memory *and* bumped the hard drive -- and, yeah, that surgery was the first time I've ever seen a screw that was meant to screw into the head of another screw.

If there's a Mini redesign, there's a good chance that it joins the everything-soldered-down brigade. I'd rather have a box that is not quite the newest but which has at least *some* user modifiability than a slightly faster one that's locked down like a prison wing after a riot.

In particular, I bought it with a spinner, and will eventually go SSD. User modifiability lets me spread out the dollars spent over a longer period.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I pulled the trigger today on an i7 quad-core Mac Mini at 2.6GHz, after waiting since July 2013 for the Godot update. So if the new Mini drops on September 9, all I can say is: you're welcome.

I did the same thing in december last year, totally certain that the new one would be released in a few weeks.. Well, still no new mini yet so I would have been stuck with a much worse computer for a whole year longer If I waited and that would have been a lot worse than buying just before an update.

It´s a great machine and looking att geekbech scores it´t still the most value for money :)

selliott

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Vegas
I have been waiting for so long and the decided to pull the trigger on a new mac mini. I am going with the Refurb route to protect myself alittle in case a new one does drop soon. (Pay less for that model, and a refurb 2014 mac mini will be atleast 6 months after a new model drops)

I have been looking on the apple site for the refurb for the past 4 days, and nothing has been listed. All the other stock of other Macs appear to be cycling through, but no listing period for the Mac mini. Is this normal? Or the sign of something else?

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have been waiting for so long and the decided to pull the trigger on a new mac mini. I am going with the Refurb route to protect myself alittle in case a new one does drop soon. (Pay less for that model, and a refurb 2014 mac mini will be atleast 6 months after a new model drops)

I have been looking on the apple site for the refurb for the past 4 days, and nothing has been listed. All the other stock of other Macs appear to be cycling through, but no listing period for the Mac mini. Is this normal? Or the sign of something else?

normal. they appear in spurts.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Keep looking is my advice. Minis tend to pop up in refurb on daily basis.
Btw; If we get the "new" mini, it will definitely forgo FireWire port :(

selliott

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Vegas
Can't you use the refurb.me app to send you an alert once the model of choice shows up?
It was useless for me because in my country, AFAIK no refurb Mini shows up in the official store. Ever.
I found a decently priced one at an auction-site.

Had I known about the site prior to right now, I could have instead of reloading that damn page 10 times a day! Thanks for the tip.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Will I need a different cable to connect a current or next gen Mini to my 20" Apple Cinema Display?

Edit: Figured out it's MDP to DVI cable.

Last edited:

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008

Where I am (Singapore) the refurbs aren't that much of a great deal when they do come along, and that's rarely.

For instance there's one there now, 2.3GHz quad i7, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, nothing else special about it; S$1,288.

Price that up new and you get S$1,368 so the refurb represents a 5.8% discount over new. A quick check of a couple of other refurb stores around the world I can't find more than an 8% discount.

I have a feeling we have a corporate discount (have to log into work and check the current offers and link) and I thought that was 6% and I never thought that was huge. When an ordinary corporate discount beats the refurb store that seems slightly wrong to me.

I'm still playing with the models, trying to decide whether to go for the base 2.3GHz quad or upgrade it to 2.6 for the extra 10%, and whether to get the 256GB SSD installed or run off the spinner until it dies. Either way I'll upgrade the RAM myself, they're really just charging over the odds for that, annoys me to end up wasting the 4Gb that does go in it.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
So, is today the last day a Mid-2014 Mac Mini could be released?

Not that there's much to look forward to. New models this year have been lower performance & lower price. MBA is 30% slower - hence the advertising about how much we LOVE our MBA's, because there's nothing else to recommend them this year.

I bought a Mini recently and I'd love Apple to release the new model within my return-period, if there is anything desirable. In the meantime, I'm happy the Apple Store matched the 10% discount other retailers were offering, with the possibility of return…

So, is today the last day for a Mid-2014 Mac Mini?

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Where I am (Singapore) the refurbs aren't that much of a great deal when they do come along, and that's rarely.

For instance there's one there now, 2.3GHz quad i7, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, nothing else special about it; S$1,288.

Price that up new and you get S$1,368 so the refurb represents a 5.8% discount over new. A quick check of a couple of other refurb stores around the world I can't find more than an 8% discount.

I have a feeling we have a corporate discount (have to log into work and check the current offers and link) and I thought that was 6% and I never thought that was huge. When an ordinary corporate discount beats the refurb store that seems slightly wrong to me.

I'm still playing with the models, trying to decide whether to go for the base 2.3GHz quad or upgrade it to 2.6 for the extra 10%, and whether to get the 256GB SSD installed or run off the spinner until it dies. Either way I'll upgrade the RAM myself, they're really just charging over the odds for that, annoys me to end up wasting the 4Gb that does go in it.

That spinner is a slow pig. Be warned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.