Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
Just wanted to confirm that this solution produces two independent screens, rather than mirrors? I have a new 2014 MBA with USB 3.0

Thanks

Mark.

BTW I am a keen fireblade rider, home track Phillip Island Vic.

This will give you 2 independent displays, but the one connected via USB won't be as 'smooth' as the other one.

This is from my personal experience with this type of adapter, as well as comments I've read elsewhere. If you're planning on just keeping mostly static images/apps/items on that display and don't think that will bug you, then by all means give it a shot.

kenmaryj

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
I read this thread to learn how to get 2 monitors, and wanted to share how I got mine working. I can even play video off the USB 3.0 port.

1. two Dell monitors using DVI. Dell Ultrasharp 2412M and Dell 2414H
2. mini DP/DP -> Dell 2414H
3. Diamond DS3900 USB 3.0 Dock in the usb 3.0 port -> DVI to Dell 2412.

The Diamond also has extra USB 3.0 ports (2) and USB 2.0 ports (4) and ethernet so you gain ports. The Diamond requires you to install 2 software updates as there are issues with the displaylink and Maverick OSX.

The link to the Diamond DS3900 Ultra Dock Dual Video USB 3.0/2.0 Docking Station is here: http://www.diamondmm.com/ds3900-diamond-ultra-dock-dual-video-usb-docking-station.html

The Maverick issue is described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=354

The beta software solution is described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

Good luck.

I would like to thank Ducati Rider and others for this thread. I have a MacBook Air mid-2013 that I needed to hook up to two Dell U2410s. After googling some keywords and finding this thread, I obtained a StarTech Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Cable to run from the Mac to the first monitor, and the Diamond DS3900 to connect from the Mac to the second monitor using the USB port on the Mac and the DVI port on the monitor. I installed the DisplayLink software mentioned above. It's all working great. I don't do much video, so haven't tested that much.

Thank you.

Ken

7Rius

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
A similar thread resides on the apple discussion forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4740489?start=30&tstart=0

They did not succeed in daisy chaining two external monitors using 10.9 either. Yet it is being mentioned that daisy chaining on a new MBP running Win 8.1 does work.

Is there anyone with Thunderbolt 2.0 and Win 8 on their MBA that could investigate?

Last edited:

GeologyRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Hey all - registered just for this thread. I bough an MBA about two months ago for work...immediately left the country for 2 months. Thus, didn't have the opportunity to return my MBA and get a pro which sounds like would do much better with dual monitors.

Anyways....having read through this thread...what's the consensus on the BESTs set up for dual monitors? I have two ASUS VS278Q-P that I will be hooking up, mostly for stock/trading and photo editing but occasional video editing. I saw some good reviews on youtube for the Matrox TripleHead2Go but the reviews on retail sites aren't very good.

What's your overall opinion on how to proceed?

7Rius

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
My current setup:
MBA via Mini Displayport to Dell U2414H Display +
MBA via AirPlay(Wifi) to AppleTV, AppleTV via HDMI to second Dell U2414H.

The external screen connected via AppleTV is undeniably less responsive than the one via Displayport. It is particularly noticeable when moving the cursor around. Yet it is smooth enough to watch videos (as that's what AppleTV is for).

If you have a second computer at hand, you can also use: Air Display. The Mac would be the host and the second computer, connected to the second screen, the client. It does cost $20. I also find it less responsive than the AppleTV solution.

tl;dr: My ideas: Either use AppleTV or 2. computer + Air Display

On a last note, I do notice an increased load on my MBA with two external 24" screens.

GeologyRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
My current setup:
MBA via Mini Displayport to Dell U2414H Display +
MBA via AirPlay(Wifi) to AppleTV, AppleTV via HDMI to second Dell U2414H.

The external screen connected via AppleTV is undeniably less responsive than the one via Displayport. It is particularly noticeable when moving the cursor around. Yet it is smooth enough to watch videos (as that's what AppleTV is for).

If you have a second computer at hand, you can also use: Air Display. The Mac would be the host and the second computer, connected to the second screen, the client. It does cost $20. I also find it less responsive than the AppleTV solution.

tl;dr: My ideas: Either use AppleTV or 2. computer + Air Display

On a last note, I do notice an increased load on my MBA with two external 24" screens.

AppleTV lag is too much for me

GeologyRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
I was scrolling through some vine videos last night and my MBA got much warmer underneath. That has me concerned that the MBA wont do well as the driver for two 27" screens. Thoughts?

GeologyRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Ok all - I got the Matrox product and currentlly have two asus 27 inch monitors connected and my MBA open as well.

I had a few paragraphs written up about my initial thoughts and experiences, but then had the bright idea of trying AppleTV from my MBA to my other TV LCD. Everything took a turn for the worse and I had to trouble shoot for about 30 minutes.

Anyways...I don't want to rewrite everything and don't think I would remember it all anyways. With that said I'll stand for questions. So far I think I will fairly happy with the product...as others have mentioned there are some annoyances. I only see one so far that is a real problem (going full screen for video on external monitor).

GeologyRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Update: BetterSnapTool is a must with the way that the Matrox splits the two additional screens. This way I can snap a window to "half" of the one huge monitor that my MBA sees, when in reality it is two monitors. This means snapping one window to half is actually a full window on one of my external monitors. The tool also gives you the option to create your own snap zones, if you will. I created four, two on each of the top of my additional two monitors. This way I can easily split two screens down the middle of each monitor. In reality the MBA thinks I have created four snap zones across a single monitor. Very nifty.

drinchev

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
MBP late 2011 with two displays

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with :

MBP late 2011 ( i7, Intel 3000 HD ) with two displays in the following configuration :

1. Elgato Thunderbolt Dock to actually bump my USB from 2.0 to 3.0
2. Elgato's Thunderbolt <-> DisplayPort Screen 1
3. Elgato's USB 3.0 <-> DisplayPort Screen 2

I read somewhere for increased CPU usage, when there is a USB monitor attached. My laptop is upgraded 16 GB RAM, SSD, i7 2.8 G ( actually that's the reason I don't want to change it to a MBP with 2 thunderbolts ) and I hope it will be able to handle the CPU usage problem.

Does anyone tried something like this ? ( At least thunderbolt -> adapter for usb 3.0 -> monitor )

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hakaslak

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Chiming in that with 3 U3014s and a Macbook Pro with dual thunderbolt ports (late 2013, 11.2), in OSX with MST enabled on the monitors I also only get mirroring.

With Windows 8.1 installed on the same Macbook, I can get daisy chaining to work with 2 2560x1600 monitors, per the DisplayPort 1.2 spec.

Therefor, this is not a limitation of the Macbook, but a problem with OSX.

mcinae

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
I read this thread to learn how to get 2 monitors, and wanted to share how I got mine working. I can even play video off the USB 3.0 port.

1. two Dell monitors using DVI. Dell Ultrasharp 2412M and Dell 2414H
2. mini DP/DP -> Dell 2414H
3. Diamond DS3900 USB 3.0 Dock in the usb 3.0 port -> DVI to Dell 2412.

The Diamond also has extra USB 3.0 ports (2) and USB 2.0 ports (4) and ethernet so you gain ports. The Diamond requires you to install 2 software updates as there are issues with the displaylink and Maverick OSX.

The link to the Diamond DS3900 Ultra Dock Dual Video USB 3.0/2.0 Docking Station is here: http://www.diamondmm.com/ds3900-diamond-ultra-dock-dual-video-usb-docking-station.html

The Maverick issue is described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=354

The beta software solution is described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

Good luck.

Ducati, were you able to get both monitors to working as separate screens or was this mirror only?

george074

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Dual AOC USB monitors

I can confirm that TWO AOC USB monitors WILL work with a 2013 13" MacBook Air (i7, 8gb, OSX 10.9). I am simultaneously using 2 of the 1659F AOC USB monitors (hooked to a cheap external USB3 powered hub) along with an Acer K272HUL 2560x1440 external monitor via minidisplayport to displayport cable. All three work fine together. I have a decent four display setup. I have both AOC's at 270 so they site vertically on either side of the MBA with the big monitor above the MBA screen.

I tried daisy-chaining another 2560x1440 monitor, and I can confirm what others here have said, the two big monitors mirror each other, so no joy.

If you are jonesing for yet additional space, I did confirm that the above setup does work when adding a 12" 2560x1600 Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 via "twomonusb". However, it consumes a huge amount of CPU just idling, so while it is technically feasible, it is not practical.

I can also confirm that I could NOT get a 4K (Acer B286HK) monitor working in place of the Acer K272HUL. Apple doesn't think we need 4k on our little MBA's, I guess. The 4k monitor hooked right up and ran fine on a MS SP3 tablet and also a 4 year old!!!!! Dell Latitude e6520 (where it is now in a three screen config). It is a shame that a 4yr old run-of-the-mill windows laptop will do things that a newish MBA can't. My guess, like others, is that Apple has strangled it via the OS. Too bad the SP3 is such a POS, as I think I would have switched.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
I can confirm that TWO AOC USB monitors WILL work with a 2013 13" MacBook Air (i7, 8gb, OSX 10.9). I am simultaneously using 2 of the 1659F AOC USB monitors (hooked to a cheap external USB3 powered hub) along with an Acer K272HUL 2560x1440 external monitor via minidisplayport to displayport cable. All three work fine together. I have a decent four display setup. I have both AOC's at 270 so they site vertically on either side of the MBA with the big monitor above the MBA screen.

I tried daisy-chaining another 2560x1440 monitor, and I can confirm what others here have said, the two big monitors mirror each other, so no joy.

If you are jonesing for yet additional space, I did confirm that the above setup does work when adding a 12" 2560x1600 Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 via "twomonusb". However, it consumes a huge amount of CPU just idling, so while it is technically feasible, it is not practical.

I can also confirm that I could NOT get a 4K (Acer B286HK) monitor working in place of the Acer K272HUL. Apple doesn't think we need 4k on our little MBA's, I guess. The 4k monitor hooked right up and ran fine on a MS SP3 tablet and also a 4 year old!!!!! Dell Latitude e6520 (where it is now in a three screen config). It is a shame that a 4yr old run-of-the-mill windows laptop will do things that a newish MBA can't. My guess, like others, is that Apple has strangled it via the OS. Too bad the SP3 is such a POS, as I think I would have switched.

can you let me know what color profile your K272HUL is using?

Shadew78

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
Dear all,

I have a MBA 13' , Mid-2013 with Yosemite 10.10.4.

Actually, I use the thunderbolt port of MBA to connect an external monitor with a thunderbolt -> DVI adapter, but I would like to connect another monitor to my Mac.

Reading some older post, I have understood that I need an USB3 to HDMI adapter and it should work well.

but I'm wondering if i can also use this product of philips http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=cz&ctn=231P4QUPE S/00, that is a monitor that works connected to USB 3 port only, so I can save the money for the adapter.

Anyone know if using this kind of product , can I still connect my old monitor to thunderbolt/DVI port together with the USB 3.0 monitor ?

Any clarification comment would be welcome

dbehterev

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Moscow, RUSSIA
Hi guys! My configuration: MBA mid 2013 core i7/8Gb RAM/512Gb HDD, Windows 7 64bit, external Dell U2410f + internal display. Need two external displays for stock terminal. Today, I've tested this configuration: MBA -> Dell 2414h using miniDP-DP cable -> Dell U2410f (daisy chain using DP-DP cable). Dell U2410f mirrored Dell 2414h, Win 7 recognized only Dell 2414h. Intel display utility also recognized only the same one. So, as I understood the best cost worth solution is Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE (not ME edition, because ME for MacOS). In this configuration I get 2 not occupied USB ports and could connect two external displays. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Im currently running 2 x 4k and 1 1080p on a 2015 air 11.6" , using thunderbolt + D3100 Dock (runs 1 4k and up to 2x1080p through usb 3)

they monitors work great for me , coding.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
So, as I understood the best cost worth solution is Matrox DualHead2Go

Have never used one of these myself, but my understanding is that it does not treat each screen as a separate monitor. It treats both screens as a single, large desktop. So, if you connect two 1920x1080 monitors they will behave like one 3840x1080 screen.

This may be fine for some applications, but not others that actually expect two separate screens.

dbehterev

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Moscow, RUSSIA
Im currently running 2 x 4k and 1 1080p on a 2015 air 11.6" , using thunderbolt + D3100 Dock (runs 1 4k and up to 2x1080p through usb 3)

they monitors work great for me , coding.
But I don't want to use USB ports for video output because MBA has only two USB ports so I can afford use only DP.

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region
I have macbook air 2013 (i5, 128GB) connected to Dell U2312HM with DisplayPort to VGA adapter. It always run very hot and the fan contstantly go wild. The "issue" went away if I detach the external monitor

Anyone experiencing this?

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Hm, have no problems here with my 2013 MBA i5 and a Samsung 23" over Displayport/DVI. Never hear the fan unless I play a game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.