Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetallicOx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I am looking to get a new school laptop. I use my computer for chrome, word, iTunes, iPhoto and YouTube. At least two apps out of the five are open at the same time. I have a flexible price limit, screen size doesn't matter too much because I would get a monitor with the laptop. This means it comes down to the processer. With the apps I use, do you think I will need the quad core over the dual core?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am looking to get a new school laptop. I use my computer for chrome, word, iTunes, iPhoto and YouTube. At least two apps out of the five are open at the same time. I have a flexible price limit, screen size doesn't matter too much because I would get a monitor with the laptop. This means it comes down to the processer. With the apps I use, do you think I will need the quad core over the dual core?
Any Mac model, including the Mac mini, can easily handle the workload you proposed, with power to spare. It comes down primarily to what screen size appeals to you most, as the other differences are so minor, you wouldn't notice them in day-to-day use.

MetallicOx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Another question then. Will either be able to power a Thunderbolt Display, and will they be able to last me 4 years or more?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The dual core CPU in the 13" rMBP will do everything you need it to do.

----------

Another question then. Will either be able to power a Thunderbolt Display, and will they be able to last me 4 years or more?

Yes, and if taken care of, yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.