Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Adds to the list of things Apple fans said sucks before Apple adds it to their phone/tablet.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Adds to the list of things Apple fans said sucks before Apple adds it to their phone/tablet.

I think that it's often the thought that when Apple implements a technology, albeit after others have already introduced it, that they do so more simply and eloquently.

:)

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I think that it's often the thought that when Apple implements a technology, albeit after others have already introduced it, that they do so more simply and eloquently.

Yes, because attaching files to an email in iOS is so simple and eloquent.:rolleyes:

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I see what you did there ... i think the iWatch will also be able to make mobile payments :D

Indeed, and that would be a lot more useful so you don't have to get your phone out each time. Watch is convenient! Latté in right hand, iWatch on the left!

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Interesting enough Apple's Phil Schiller said at an AllThingsD event that NFC wasn't a solution to any current problem consumers faced. This was during the iPhone 5. Not sure if they will change their veiw this year.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011

I just think it's funny when people say that technology that Android uses sucks until that same tech is inside of iPhones/iPads. I mean, why are they so against anything that anybody else has? A lot of people on this site hated the thought of NFC and larger phone sizes. Now, those same people are ok with NFC and larger phones.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Interesting enough Apple's Phil Schiller said at an AllThingsD event that NFC wasn't a solution to any current problem consumers faced. This was during the iPhone 5. Not sure if they will change their veiw this year.

Apple is notorious for saying customers don't need something until they do it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Pretty much, as to making it easier (Not directed at you sir)??? What's easier then just swiping your card across a read? All you'll be doing is choosing between using your phone or your card.
Actually, that's most likely why NFC payments never take off, the banks set the limit you can pay via it to a low amount to reduce fraud, and then you still use a card or mobile device to pay, the majority of people just use a card an a pin because we most likely think what's the point is doing the same thing another way? Apple's NFC payment system will get the exact same reaction, people will be like I can use my iPhone to pay for things? Cool... and then never use it.

----------

Apple is notorious for saying customers don't need something until they do it.

Yeap, they think it helps them to spin those sales and Apples bottom line.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
NFC =no good..

Its actually laughable, since we use screens Samsung makes, who also make screens for Android's too and other companies which do for others we all hate too as Apple fans, yet we still have the old "punch up bashing" with videos...

So funny :) It's good to be on MR.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

No one said it sucked. They said its implementation and support sucked. There is a difference. It wasnt a deal breaker for anyone because it was barely usable at all.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I’ve been working on a new joke — about NFC and a new secure enclave where you can store your credit cards, so you can pay for things at brick and mortar retail stores just by taking out your iPhone, but only if it’s one of the new iPhones — but no one seems to get my sense of humor.

-http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/08/28/september

To understand the above, you have to step back a week or more ago when John commented jokingly on his site that Apple's iWatch was going to be beat the Moto 360 to market. Every tech site took it that he was trying to communicate something based in sources and evidence and widely reported it as him leaking facts.

Today he posted the above. Masterful troll (probably) or sly reporting ("I Want To Believe!")?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In the end, Apple will include an NFC radio/antenna subsystem for the following reasons:

1. The Japanese and South Korean cellphone carriers want this feature so the iPhone 6 can be used on mobile payment systems such as Mobile Suica and RakutenEdy in Japan and Olleh Touch in South Korea.

2. There are rumors that Apple has a mobile payments deal with China UnionPay (China's #1 credit card issuer), and that will require NFC to access China UnionPay mobile payment terminals.

3. Because the iPhone 6 is a clean-sheet phone design, it can now incorporate an NFC radio/antenna subsystem easily.

4. While Apple would have preferred mobile payments through iBeacons, the long range of Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) signals--up to nearly 10 meters!--makes it too vulnerable to hacking. And nobody wants to build a mobile payment terminal that uses Bluetooth 4.0 connections.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
In the end, Apple will include an NFC radio/antenna subsystem for the following reasons:

1. The Japanese and South Korean cellphone carriers want this feature so the iPhone 6 can be used on mobile payment systems such as Mobile Suica and RakutenEdy in Japan and Olleh Touch in South Korea.

2. There are rumors that Apple has a mobile payments deal with China UnionPay (China's #1 credit card issuer), and that will require NFC to access China UnionPay mobile payment terminals.

3. Because the iPhone 6 is a clean-sheet phone design, it can now incorporate an NFC radio/antenna subsystem easily.

4. While Apple would have preferred mobile payments through iBeacons, the long range of Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) signals--up to nearly 10 meters!--makes it too vulnerable to hacking. And nobody wants to build a mobile payment terminal that uses Bluetooth 4.0 connections.

I think the other factor is the NFC chipset now has fallback low and no power modes. Already on Blackberry but hard to tell what works what doesn't powered and unpowered.

Apple also likes to piecemeal new features so Passbook was part one, and will be used for a secure back-channel for updating keys used by the NFC chip.
Part to is Secure Enclave (and TouchID) for generating device specific keys (instead of SIM per service).

NFC with emulation for EVM cards is the last piece. Part of that piece is the RFID/ EVM uses will work powered (without unlocking) or unpowered so if it's a passbook card it'll work. More active and more secure features that require user authorization or other interaction will have there own apps.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
... I do believe I stated on here before that Apple would use NFC, considering its what use already used. Great if this comes true as it means for once Apple has had to concede and not bully it's own standards onto everyone else.

I sincerely hope that the new Iphone comes with a solid translation application. Could be useful to translate "from whatever language" you are speaking to proper English...

And even after heavy duty deciphering, your comment still does not make any sense. Written on an Android phone or Android tablet?

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
All the Apple haters would say "NFC has been in Android phones for years!", however watch mobile payments actually take off once Apple releases their payment platform.

----------

NFC =no good..

Its actually laughable, since we use screens Samsung makes, who also make screens for Android's too and other companies which do for others we all hate too as Apple fans, yet we still have the old "punch up bashing" with videos...

So funny :) It's good to be on MR.

Your statement has absolutely no relevance to NFC what so ever.

collegitdept

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
If this is indeed true - then I truly hope NXP is the best NFC semiconductor manufacturer on the market. And then by extension Apple should buy them out completely.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Can you explain the difference between Apple NFC implementation and the ones already in place?
The NFC part will likely be exactly the same. NFC = NFC. Same chip, same features.

How one is technology for the sake of technology when it is the same thing?
The point is that adding an "NFC-chip" or providing a "mobile payment solution with nfc capability" is not the same thing. Any phone vendor can add a chip. Not many companies can drive a new global standard. Unless Apple is capable of driving the 'mobile payment' innovation that adds purpose to nfc, an nfc chip in my iphone remains without much praktical use.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I sincerely hope that the new Iphone comes with a solid translation application. Could be useful to translate "from whatever language" you are speaking to proper English...

And even after heavy duty deciphering, your comment still does not make any sense. Written on an Android phone or Android tablet?

The crap iPad Mini Retina actually, or the crap MacBook Pro, either way an Apple device so you can stop with the snarky Android comments. And I just deleted the bit that didn't make sense. Thanks grammar Policeman.

All the Apple haters would say "NFC has been in Android phones for years!", however watch mobile payments actually take off once Apple releases their payment platform.

No it won't, in the UK credit and debit cards have had RFID chips built into them for at least a couple of years now, which means millions in circulation by now I would think, yet using wireless, or contact less as the banks call it, payments haven't taken off really.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

----------

Your statement has absolutely no relevance to NFC what so ever.

Horse Hockey, it will only take off when all merchant card readers allow NFC payments it has nothing to do with a bunch of people buying one mobile phone over another.

As for linking this with the credit card associated with the iTunes account, that's stupid. Who is going to pay the 30% fee Apple will undoubtably put on the payment for using there system?

No one really thinks Apple are going to let any volume of server traffic happen for free do they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.