Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
You could at least provide a link for the inquiring minds out there.

Here you go...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5

Get ready to do some reading. Have fun!
Oops.

Didn't think it was that hard to search Google. Especially for someone who is going to be rooting and installing a different ROM...

EDIT: Here is a link that actually goes to a rooting guide: http://galaxys5root.com/galaxy-s5-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s5/

From there, boot into the recovery and flash the ROM.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Oops.

Didn't think it was that hard to search Google. Especially for someone who is going to be rooting and installing a different ROM...

EDIT: Here is a link that actually goes to a rooting guide: http://galaxys5root.com/galaxy-s5-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s5/

From there, boot into the recovery and flash the ROM.

It's not hard to use google, but c'mon, we're talking about an iOS user delving into the world of android for the first time. The uninitiated wouldn't even know what to google for. I can imagine the OP googling...

"How to turn Galaxy S5 into google play"

Then an hour of confusion and hopelessness ensues.

Key words like ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader, Cyanogen, XDA, etc are things that have probably never entered an iOS user's lexicon.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
You could make it a Google Play edition yourself...

I'm spoiled by the official otas and lack of bugs on my s4 ge. If I'm not mistaken, generally there are significant bugs running aosp on touchwizz devices due to driver issues. Official support is so worth it.

There is no s5 ge for them to pull the rom from, so I would certainly wager the ge s4 roms are quite a bit more stable.

Really don't want to mess with flashing nightlys with a 5 mo old baby :p

Last edited:

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I'm spoiled by the official otas and lack of bugs on my s4 ge. If I'm not mistaken, generally there are significant bugs running aosp on touchwizz devices due to driver issues. Official support is so worth it.

There is no s5 ge for them to pull the rom from, so I would certainly wager the ge s4 roms are quite a bit more stable.

I use CyanogenMod on all my devices.

With the M9 version, I have experienced no bugs - only the numerous advantages. In fact, I like CM so much, installing it is the first thing I do upon receiving a new device.

Oh and, there are easy-to-perform OTA updates.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Don't flash nightlys, flash stable releases. You might be surprised what is available.

I understand though, I am over the whole flashing and rooting thing.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I use CyanogenMod on all my devices.

With the M9 version, I have experienced no bugs - only the numerous advantages. In fact, I like CM so much, installing it is the first thing I do upon receiving a new device.

Oh and, there are easy-to-perform OTA updates.

Is this on the GS5?

That's good to hear, seems like there are always caveats with the camera, Bluetooth, accelerometer or at least something.. Ir blaster works to eh?

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Is this on the GS5?

That's good to hear, seems like there are always caveats with the camera, Bluetooth, accelerometer or at least something.. Ir blaster works to eh?

Oh... Sorry if I got your hopes up - it's not on the GS 5. I completely forgot that is the phone we were talking about.

I don't believe there is CM for the GS 5 yet although I am sure you could find another custom ROM that works well (although, IMO, CM is the best).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.