Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nxp_logo-250x92.jpg
Apple will feature near field communication (NFC) technology in the iPhone 6 with a chip provided by Dutch company NXP Semiconductors, according to a report from the Financial Times. The chip will allow the iPhone to be scanned by payment terminals and ticket systems, while also allowing for further integration with other methods.

Throughout the past week, a number of rumors and reports from various sources have claimed that the iPhone 6 will gain NFC support. Evidence of NFC capabilities provided by NXP first surfaced earlier this week in a claimed schematic, which showed the company's PN65 chip on the iPhone 6's logic board.

Yesterday, technology news website WIRED and Apple blogger John Gruber also suggested that the iPhone 6 would feature NFC, with the latter stating that Apple's NFC-based mobile payment system would use a new secure enclave coprocessor built into the company's new A8 chip, which was also suggested by previous reports.

Last month, it was reported that Apple was in talks with major credit card companies like Visa over a mobile payment solution that would utilize the credit card data already stored in millions of iTunes accounts. Apple also was said to be interviewing senior payments industry executives to take on roles within the company, possibly indicating that the company has been hard at work on creating its own mobile payments service.

Apple is expected to debut the iPhone 6 and a wearable device at an event on September 9.

Article Link: Another Report Suggests NFC Support for iPhone 6, Chip to Be Provided by NXP

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
New rom Gruber: "Follow-up joke: It would be cool, and would make a lot of sense, if the new wearable thing had the same magic payment apparatus."

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
nfc + watch = ditch the wallet

So where do you keep your driving licence? Or credit card sized door entry fobs. Have another look in your wallet and see what else is there.
I don’t think we’re rid of it yet.

Why does 99.99% of the population think that the iPhone will replace everything you carry in your pocket?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
nfc + watch = ditch the wallet

Yes because every retailer in every store in every village or every town or every city in every country will all fully support this won't they .....

I'll just go and burn my wallet now ......

Whilst this is undoubtably a step in the right direction ... Let's be realistic. There is a very very long road ahead. Don't go trying to run a marathon when your barely finished learning to tie your shoelaces. ;) and put your wallet back in your pocket....

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
So where do you keep your driving licence? Or credit card sized door entry fobs. Have another look in your wallet and see what else is there.

Why does 99.99% of the population think that the iPhone will replace everything you carry in your pocket?
It sure looks like that's where we're heading :)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

I don't carry a wallet anymore. Only iPhone and cash. Sometimes no cash cause iPhone allows me to get cash from cash machine. For other cards that just need to be shown I photograph them and keep in a photo album called cards (have asked various card issuers to catch up and issue passbook ones but they are stubborn and stuck in the past) My iPhone contains way more to identify me than anything in my wallet could so its easy to prove its me. It even unlocks with my finger print.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Reading these first few replies you could be forgiven for thinking we were in the dark ages, burn the witch, etc.

Truth is times are a changing and technology moves on. I have no idea if the new iPhone or the watch will come with NFC. If it does then knowing Apple it will take NFC to another level. Will this happen overnight, no of course it won't.

Just as we never actually got rid of paper, we will never actually get rid of a wallet. But in places where this takes off, less and less people will carry one.

People will have the choice of opening and starting their car with their phone, opening and locking their front door. Paying for things, clocking in to work, going to the theatre, sports events etc.

If anyone can make this happen, it's Apple. Yes other devices have had NFC for years, like giving a caveman an electric toaster, they just didn't know what to do with it, so they used it as a hat.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I don't carry a wallet anymore. Only iPhone and cash. Sometimes no cash cause iPhone allows me to get cash from cash machine. For other cards that just need to be shown I photograph them and keep in a photo album called cards (have asked various card issuers to catch up and issue passbook ones but they are stubborn and stuck in the past) My iPhone contains way more to identify me than anything in my wallet could so its easy to prove its me. It even unlocks with my finger print.

Go to a secure site and ask them to accept a picture of you on your phone for access. LOL.

It’ll be Bo GEDDOUDAHEERE!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yep. Looks like the iPhone is finally getting NFC. This is something I honestly expected Apple to be ahead of the game for. But rather dissapointingly, they're pretty much last place.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it would be kinda neat if you could keep the phone in your pocket while it is connected to your wearable and use the nfc through your phone on your wearable to get onto the metro by moving your wrist up and down on the machine. i guess that would make it a bit too easy for hackers tho

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Reading these first few replies you could be forgiven for thinking we were in the dark ages, burn the witch, etc.

If anyone can make this happen, it's Apple. Yes other devices have had NFC for years, like giving a caveman an electric toaster, they just didn't know what to do with it, so they used it as a hat.

The biggest problem with NFC has always been security.

A few years ago, some demos were done where a user had a high powered NFC reader in a small car. He drove just a few blocks in an urban area and picked up hundreds of RFID tags.

This demo and a few other nearly killed off the first generation of NFC readers and tags.

Also, this one consumer advocate (http://www.spychips.com/) has been raising the alarm on RFID tracking to very successful levels. The horn locking with one start-up (http://www.alientechnology.com/) got a lot of press.

With Apple's big time avocation of privacy, love to see how they address these RFID compromises.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
it would be kinda neat if you could keep the phone in your pocket while it is connected to your wearable and use the nfc through your phone on your wearable to get onto the metro by moving your wrist up and down on the machine. i guess that would make it a bit too easy for hackers tho

I want to know how they are going to address the RFID cloning issue that has plagued the industry for over a decade. Prehaps a private key scheme?

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Yep. Looks like the iPhone is finally getting NFC. This is something I honestly expected Apple to be ahead of the game for. But rather dissapointingly, they're pretty much last place.
That's like saying that Apple came last in the smartphone business, because every other phone vendor already had smartphones on the market when the first iPhone came out. Strangely enough, most people consider the iPhone to be the first "real" smartphone nowadays.

What was the point of having an NFC chip in your phone until now? It's like having an RS-232 port on your phone just so you can say that you have one.

----------

I want to know how they are going to address the RFID cloning issue that has plagued the industry for over a decade. Prehaps a private key scheme?

Yes. A private key called "fingerprint".

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Go to a secure site and ask them to accept a picture of you on your phone for access. LOL.

It’ll be Bo GEDDOUDAHEERE!

well with all the other info on my iPhone and with it unlocking via my finger print like I say its obvious its me but secure sites with those type of card isn't my lifestyle. Maybe they'll catch up one day.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
The nfc hardware capability is not so interesting as it's basically a no brainer.

If and how Apple is addressing the challenge of provisioning a (global) mobile payment eco-system is what I'm really curious about.

Will they be able to finally kill the magnetic card and boost secure contactless payments? Will they help to make my wallet 50% thinner by eliminating most of my cards?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

I've often wondered about the genuine benefits of NFC (having never used it as I have an iPhone), so I just checked my wallet.

I have 5 x bank cards, a photo of my Wife on our wedding day and several receipts (I'm self employed, so I keep receipts for everything) my EHIC (European Health Insurance) card and my driving licence.

So, if I understand NFC correctly, I can somehow 'add' my my debit/credit card details to the phone and use it at terminals that accept payment by phones?

Now, I quite like that idea, but for me personally, I have two concerns:

1. If I lose my phone, I lose the ability to pay for anything in the event of an emergency (the phone is passcode locked and has Find my iPhone turned on, so I'm less concerned about losing the 'phone' aspect).
  2. I don't have anywhere central to keep my receipts (although I suppose I could keep them in the pocket that no longer has my wallet in it).

Physically, I think I could live my day using my phone to pay for things, as long as the places I'm trying to spend money at accept that form of payment.

Presumably, if there's no NFC terminal, I can't pay, so what do I do then?

Sounds like there's still a case for a wallet, or maybe just a small holder for a couple of cards?

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009

What makes you think that 99.99% of the population is thinking that?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That's like saying that Apple came last in the smartphone business, because every other phone vendor already had smartphones on the market when the first iPhone came out. Strangely enough, most people consider the iPhone to be the first "real" smartphone nowadays.

What was the point of having an NFC chip in your phone until now? It's like having an RS-232 port on your phone just so you can say that you have one.

Your comparison doesn't make sense. This is nothing to do with entering a market. NFC has been about for ages. I've been using it to pay for purchases for quite a while now. My last two phones had NFC built into them. Most of my firneds phones (apart from the iPhone users) have NFC. Even my new wireless speaker has NFC.

9VwLjml.jpg

This would be like having an iPhone without Bluetooth functionality or something. Although, saying that, ironically enough, iPhone Bluetooth is actually crippled to just audio/headset use.

If you ask me, from the way you're all posting, half of you don't even know what NFC is.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Your comparison doesn't make sense. This is nothing to do with entering a market. NFC has been about for ages. I've been using it to pay for purchases for quite a while now. My last two phones had NFC built into them. Most of my firneds phones (apart from the iPhone users) have NFC. Even my new wireless speaker has NFC.

This would be like having an iPhone without Bluetooth functionality or something. Although, saying that, ironically enough, iPhone Bluetooth is actually crippled to just audio/headset use.

If you ask me, from the way you're all posting, half of you don't even know what NFC is.

Excuse the dumb question, but what's the point of having NFC on a wireless speaker? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.