Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSimpleGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Hello everyone,
I've been a unnamed guest here for years, even though I'm just now getting involved.;) Thanx for all the past help in the past, and thnx to anyone willing to help in any way.

Im having a heck of a time trying to diagnose this MacBook Pro 6.1 model A1297
It's a unibody 17" MBP with an i5 320M 2.53GHz

I Recently purchased it at a really great price, with only one problem. It doesn't recognize the battery.
Initially, there's a ton of people having this issue online so I started with the easiest and obvious culprits.. and "I know" I should just "go to apple store" right? I know, I am. That's easier said than done where I live.

Also their likely gonna tell me I need a logic board replacement. which may double or triple the price I paid for the macbook alone... anyways. So I do the following:

1.) PRAM reset
2. SMC reset

No good so then I tried step 3:

3.) Run Apple Hardware Test (AHT)

I concluded at this point that my problem was the battery, so step 4:

4.) replace battery

So, I ordered one online and It came in today... STILL no battery detected:mad: in OSX or Windows 8 (bootcamp) honestly, at this point I was about ready to give up, because it's really a great machine. Despite being tied to a power cord.

BUT.. While I'm in OSX I closed the lid, and when I opened it back up I noticed it was having a hard time awaking from sleep. The fans were on, but the screen was black.

Then I remembered... The MagSafe was UNPLUGGED.. needless to say I'm scratching my head now. :confused:Clueless!
so I hold the power button and force it to power down then of coarse I'm forced to reboot it on ac power...

Idk why but at this point.. I'm compelled to pull the plug again lol.
So I do it!

Screen dims.. and it won't reboot.. So I decide to do a little "Electronic CPR":D I immediately recall the steps for resetting the SMC, so after holding shift option control, All of a sudden I hear the fans cut on at full speed!

..Voila! It BOOTS!:p
This time it restores OSX to what I was previously doing before the computer fell asleep.

Unfortunately, I check the status bar and still OSX doesn't detect a battery... But it's somehow running on battery power o_O
Also take note that the fans continue to blow at full speed, and system profiler seemed to be acting strange. As if the computer was in a type of "safe mode"

I decide to shut it down and run an AHT while it's on battery power and the quick test goes fine! However.. the poor Mac died during the second, more thorough, diagnostic.:(
I attached a pic showing the system profiler, look closely, and see no AC / no battery connected. weird...
This has been a most peculiar situation, any questions or comments are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.