Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has debuted a new video on its YouTube channel comparing its new Galaxy Tab S to the iPad Air on the streets of New York City. As first spotted by iGeneration (Google Translate), the video involves a host asking street-goers to use the Galaxy Tab S, highlighting the tablet's display, weight, and camera.

When matched up side-by-side, some users claim that the Galaxy Tab S is "definitely thinner", while others express that the tablet's screen "looks brighter" when compared to the iPad Air. The host claims that the Galaxy Tab S has "one million more pixels than the iPad Air", which is presented alongside small text on the bottom noting the 4,096,000 pixels of the Galaxy Tab S compared to the iPad's 3,145,728 pixels. The video ends with a group of users choosing the Galaxy Tab S over the iPad Air, as Samsung ends the video with the tagline of "Thinner. Brighter. Lighter." before showing the tablet from its front.

Samsung launched its first round of Galaxy Tab S ads last month, which mocked the iPad's screen and lack of multitasking. The Galaxy Tab S was originally announced this past June, with Samsung touting the tablet's high resolution (2560 x 1600) Super AMOLED display, fingerprint sensor, 11-hour battery life, and multitasking capabilities.

Article Link: Samsung Asks NYC Street-Goers to Compare Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air in New Ad

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
if this were about people preferring JooJoo over Samsung/Apple tablets, I'd be surprised.

otherwise this was just a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:

hovercast

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
jimmy kimmel convinced a bunch of people that his knock off goo phone was the new Iphone 6 and with in a couple minutes they were all claiming how much faster it was lol

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Let the Samsung bashing begin!

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.

You seem upset.

tjskywasher

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
I'm getting sick of these adverts, not just Samsung but from other competitors. Why can't they just advertise their products for the features that they have and let it stand on it's own two feet instead of always having to compare it directly with the iPhone 5S or the iPad Air.

And yes, Apple perhaps did start it with the Mac vs PC ads a while back. But the beauty of those ads was that Apple was generic about it, they didn't target specific manufacturers or particular devices. Just shows how desperate the competition must be if they're always attacking specific Apple products directly.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
These adverts from both sides are pointless, (TBF Apple concentrates on themselves) clearly actors or you film for days then take it back to the lab and edit out the iPad lovers. Simple.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
I would say that you buy a proper computer for a multitasking.

iPad was designed to have single task at the time which helps people to be more focused and productive. It's got its purpose.

Samsung is al plasticky as well. This is like buying Ford vs BMW (Samsung vs Apple). End of story.

Btw, people can buy whatever then want. If someone doesn't like lack of multitasking on iPad - he buys Samsung:)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This reminds me of the coke vs pepsi taste test commercials done back in the 80s.

Its just marketing of course Samsung is going to edit out those folks who chose the Apple :rolleyes:

Brownsiey

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013

Proud Note 3 owner.

proud note 3 owner? its a phone (/phablet, i guess) not some kind of accomplishment.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161

Proud Note 3 owner.

Speaking for myself, I don't determine which product is better based on specs, but on the overall user experience. Otherwise instead of a MBP I'd still be using my Xeon workstation.

proud note 3 owner? its a phone (/phablet, i guess) not some kind of accomplishment.

Good point, often forgotten. If anything, it'd be an accomplishment for Samsung's engineers. :D

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK

Proud Note 3 owner.

So what you're saying is, without Apple, Samsung wouldn't have a business...it's a good point!

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010

That's true but remember Apple will be entering that "Phablet" world with the rumoured 5.5". which will be bigger in size than the Note 3 due to bezels, if rumors are true.

He could then come back at you, with you claimed it was big before and you never liked but now Apple do it you like. just saying

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
very scientific.

Anyone got some stats as to how much brighter the Samsung screen is?
I wonder how much the battery life if when the samsung is on full brightness and if the iPad was on full brightness.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Each week Samsung looks more and more pathetic and desperate.

Their volume of ads is clearly a sign that they are well aware of who is king.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One big disadvantage:
No iOS.
That's for you, but for others, they either don't care or don't want iOS.

For me, I do want iOS. As much as I like the Note 3 phone it doesn't seem a viable alternative. As for the Galaxy Tab 5, I like the iPad better, not just because of iOS but the design and usage.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
For what it's worth, I commented this on YouTube as well.

Ads like this are so stupid. I'm sure they work, and I'm sure it's effective at persuading people, but come on. It's not like any company ever would include an actually representative sample of what people preferred... I'm sure people talked about the Samsung tablet's plasticky construction. "Definitely lighter" isn't even always a good thing. It can make devices feel cheap. The "it takes up almost no space" comment makes no sense. The devices cover almost an identical surface area... The aspect ratios are just different. Plus, any person who has ever seen street magic performed knows that it's extremely easy to plant an idea in peoples' heads unbeknownst to them. He's pretty clearly presenting Samsung's device as better from the get go both verbally and non-verbally.

It's depressing to me that this kind of marketing affects people. It's so phoney and requires no effort or creativity. Just an editing room and a good host.

Blah.

It doesn't even matter what device is "better," this type of advertising is just trashy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.