Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlyssaSear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hello

I've encountered a problem while processing some images with exiftool.
While my Windows explorer (Win7) didn't show any signs of corrupted data, with exiftool I've discovered that the XPcomment tag was corrupted/damaged (it was the tag which I was working with).

Senza%2Btitolo%2B-%2B2.jpg

As you can see on the left the XP Comment tag appear with weird symbols while on the right the explorer window shows the data correctly.

What could cause this problem and how I can fix it?
Thanks.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I would try some characters in the comment and in an English unicode font instead of Italian in the comment field.

Something like 16JUN14MON0159 in the comment field

if this doesn't work, verify if this happens only with images you might have uploaded and re-downloaded images from picasa.

I'm guessing here, just to be clear

AlyssaSear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Yes actually I had those images restored from an online backup in Picasa and I have to use special characters since in Italian almost every day of the week have a " ì "

Monday -> Lunedì
Tuesday -> Martedì
Wednesday -> Mercoledì

And so on...

I can easily write those special characters with exiftool just by setting the HTML language with the -E command.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Yes actually I had those images restored from an online backup in Picasa and I have to use special characters since in Italian almost every day of the week have a " ì "

Monday -> Lunedì
Tuesday -> Martedì
Wednesday -> Mercoledì

And so on...

I can easily write those special characters with exiftool just by setting the HTML language with the -E command.

try it then with simple i

you can also check exiftool faq here.

AlyssaSear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
The "i" or "ì" itself its not a problem since a lot of images I have also have it and they're not broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.