Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I recently had an issue with my 5S, took it in, got it inspected, got it replaced (I was in and out within an hour with working phone).

It's not onsite if you are the one taking it somewhere. I know that at least Samsung has an onsite offering to swap out any non-functioning device within 4 hours, 24x7 if that's what you need. I would assume that most other large manufacturers do the same.

----------

Aha!

What about if you phoned Apple?

For example, in the UK you can get a replacement couriered to you (and the dead phone collected at the same time) if going to an Apple store isn't an option for you.

No idea. But actually it seems that there are loads of authorized service centers here as well, not just the big one. I don't know what sort of service offerings they have, but everyone I know that has had his/her iPhone replaced have been given that two week lead time. I don't have first hand experience in this matter, so I can't be absolutely sure.

EDIT: It seems that in most places you can pay extra for "express service", which basically means that you get an immediate replacement.

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
It's not onsite if you are the one taking it somewhere. I know that at least Samsung has an onsite offering to swap out any non-functioning device within 4 hours, 24x7 if that's what you need. I would assume that most other large manufacturers do the same.

That was in an Apple retail store.

I don't know what you mean by "onsite", but the diagnosis was done there and then and then I was given a replacement iPhone.[/QUOTE]

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
That was in an Apple retail store.

I don't know what you mean by "onsite", but the diagnosis was done there and then and then I was given a replacement iPhone.

Onsite means that a technician comes onsite to your premises to repair/replace the device.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Samsung has valid points when it comes to the smartphone wars. But apple wins hands down when it comes to tablets. I cringe when I see them bashing ipad I think samsung should stop making tablets and focus on their smartphones.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The only difference would be if it was under 1 month old, where the law says you are then entitled to a refund/replacement at your discretion.

Thats not true. The Sales of Goods Act states you can advise which remedy you want, but the retailer has the final decision.

That may well give you a replacement on the spot, or within 24 hours, but otherwise you're out of luck unless you've got an iPhone.

My nearest Apple store is over an hours drive away, and I live in the South East! So a 2 hour round trip. Hardly convenient.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Thats not true. The Sales of Goods Act states you can advise which remedy you want, but the retailer has the final decision.

No it doesn't.

Up to 1 month/28 days (can't remember which), you would dictate which option you wanted, as the item wouldn't confirm to the SoGA by not being "Fit for purpose" or "Of merchantable quality"

My nearest Apple store is over an hours drive away, and I live in the South East! So a 2 hour round trip. Hardly convenient.

Ok, but if it was the difference between getting your phone replaced by by the Apple store, or sent away for repair by someone closer, which would you choose?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Samsung has valid points when it comes to the smartphone wars. But apple wins hands down when it comes to tablets. I cringe when I see them bashing ipad I think samsung should stop making tablets and focus on their smartphones.

I think that Samsung has the two best tablet lineups at the moment with the Tab S and the Note-series.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
No it doesn't.

Up to 1 month/28 days (can't remember which), you would dictate which option you wanted, as the item wouldn't confirm to the SoGA by not being "Fit for purpose" or "Of merchantable quality"

Wrong im afraid. Once you have "accepted" the goods, you can ask for a refund/repair/replace, however it is the retailer which gets to choose the remedy.

Your talking about rejecting the item due to the fault, which you can do, however there is no time frame quoted in the Sales of Goods Act - Just "a reasonable period"

If you purchase a phone and use it daily for two weeks, its reasonable to say you have accepted the item.

If you purchase a phone in October because it was on special offer and put it aside to give to someone as a Christmas preset and it dosent work on Christmas morning, you would be able to reject the item.

I think you should go an take another look at the Sales of Goods Act ;)

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I think that Samsung has the two best tablet lineups at the moment with the Tab S and the Note-series.

The hardware is nice, but the apps are lacking. And the overall performance just isnt that great as an ipad experience( and im even a huge fan of ios). I've played around with various samsung tablets the my friends have and I was greatly underwhelmed.

But their phones are on point.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
The hardware is nice, but the apps are lacking.

I wouldn't know, but all I do on my iPad is web, email, light office, Kindle, Netflix, Youtube and some occasional games. I'd think that my usage is pretty representative of an average tablet user, so I can't really see how the apps are lacking?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Wrong im afraid. Once you have "accepted" the goods, you can ask for a refund/repair/replace, however it is the retailer which gets to choose the remedy.

Your talking about rejecting the item due to the fault, which you can do, however there is no time frame quoted in the Sales of Goods Act - Just "a reasonable period"

If you purchase a phone and use it daily for two weeks, its reasonable to say you have accepted the item.

If you purchase a phone in October because it was on special offer and put it aside to give to someone as a Christmas preset and it dosent work on Christmas morning, you would be able to reject the item.

I think you should go an take another look at the Sales of Goods Act ;)

Wrong I'm afraid!

To get a refund on a faulty item, you need to reject it and return it within a reasonable time after purchase - usually three to four weeks.

Here's the important bits:

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

Fit for purpose means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer)

Goods sold must also match any sample you were shown in-store, or any description in a brochure.

If you have bought a faulty product, our guide shows you what you should do.

SUMMARY
All goods must be:
as described
of satisfactory quality and
fit for purpose

If they're not, the retailer is in breach of contract and you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act

Who is responsible
If your goods fail to meet any of the above criteria then you could have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act.

If you want to make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act you have several possible ways of resolving your issue, depending on the circumstances and on what you want done.

Your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must make any claim against the retailer.
However, the Sale of Goods Act doesn’t apply to goods you've bought on hire purchase (HP).

Instead the Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act 1973 applies, which makes the HP company responsible for the quality of the goods supplied and gives you slightly different rights.

TOP TIP
To get a refund on a faulty item, you need to reject it and return it within a reasonable time after purchase - usually three to four weeks.

Returning faulty goods
If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get a refund.

But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.

However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it.

Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.

So, you may need to prove that the fault was not down to ordinary wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did.

To do this you may need an expert's report, for example, from an engineer or a mechanic.

Always try to keep the cost of any report proportionate to the value of the claim and, if you can, try to agree on an expert you and the seller both agree has the necessary expertise.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Apology accepted. ;)

[Edit] - One more for you, taken from the UK Government website no less...

The law does not give a time limit for acceptance. When trying to decide if a customer has had a reasonable opportunity to inspect their goods, consider what an impartial person in a court would think reasonable for that product in the circumstances.

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sogaexplained

Last edited:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Wrong I'm afraid!

Here's the important bits:

Apology accepted. ;)

[Edit] - One more for you, taken from the UK Government website no less...

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sogaexplained

So you quote an article that states 3-4 weeks, then go onto quote the actual government website which states that "the law does not give a time limit".

I'm talking about the actual Sales of Goods Act - not some 3rd party interpretation of it such as your which article.

Try again, this time without contradicting yourself!

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
So you quote an article that states 3-4 weeks, then go onto quote the actual government website which states that "the law does not give a time limit".

I'm talking about the actual Sales of Goods Act - not some 3rd party interpretation of it such as your which article.

Try again, this time without contradicting yourself!

The last link I gave was a UK Government one.

Here's some more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm

It works like this. For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sites/default/files/OFT002_SOGA_explained.pdf

The law does not give a time limit for acceptance.
When trying to decide if a customer has had a reasonable
opportunity to inspect their goods, consider what an impartial
person in a court would think reasonable for that product in
the circumstances

Now, while I was absolutely convinced there was a legal 4 week precedent, the Government link above does indeed say a customer must have had "A reasonable opportunity to inspect the goods".

Only having something 4 weeks is not unreasonable and I'd challenge anyone to not get a refund on a product that's failed in some way, that's under 4 weeks old (I've done it myself).

[Edit] - Even Which in the UK say 4-5 weeks:

Returning faulty goods

If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get a refund.

But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.

However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it.

Either way, walking out of the shop does not constitute acceptance of the device in question.

Last edited:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The last link I gave was a UK Government one.

Here's some more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sites/default/files/OFT002_SOGA_explained.pdf

Now, while I was absolutely convinced there was a legal 4 week precedent, the Government link above does indeed say a customer must have had "A reasonable opportunity to inspect the goods".

Only having something 4 weeks is not unreasonable and I'd challenge anyone to not get a refund on a product that's failed in some way, that's under 4 weeks old (I've done it myself).

[Edit] - Even Which in the UK say 4-5 weeks:

Either way, walking out of the shop does not constitute acceptance of the device in question.

The actual Sales of Goods Act if you read it does not give a time frame, just a reasonable time.

A mobile phone that you use daily can be argued that within 1-2 weeks you have accepted it. Once accepted, if it breaks say in week 4, you can approach the retailer and ask for a refund, however its their decision as to whether you get a refund/repair or replacement.

It does not matter what which say - this is their interpretation of the SOGA. Its what is contained in the actual act that is important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.