Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
My out of warranty Iphone 5 screen is cracked. I need a new one, and there a tons of ebay and amazon. Does anyone here repair iphones or bought any that they recommend from a certain place, seller or company?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I got one for a 5S off of Ebay. It's not good.

I've ordered one from another source that's supposed to be better (costs more, too) and when I get it connected I'll let you know.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks. I wish we could tell them apart or there was a known brand of aftermarket ones that are decent. I will wait for your reply. Or is there a forum for repair shops. Maybe they would tell us.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Only place I'd be 100% certain of getting an Apple quality part, would be from Apple themselves or iFixit.. of course you are going to pay for the guaranteed quality..

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I ordered one on eBay (around the £30 mark) and it went back as the screen flickered, had random vertical lines and the contrast was rubbish :eek:

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
There's gotta be a decent one by someone that's not crazy expensive.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
There's gotta be a decent one by someone that's not crazy expensive.

Trying to save a few bucks repairing a $600+ phone isn't worth it if you want to preserve its quality.

Just get Apple to do it, or order one from iFixit.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I'm selling the phone soon and it's a fact that some of the screen on ebay are the same one as ifixit, the question is which ones and by who?

And The only oem screens that exist are ones taken from other iPhones. There is no such thing as an oem screen that did not come from an already existing iphone any website that says otherwise is lying. So I just want a good aftermarket screen.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
WARNING. this is a MYTH as far a i know. but i would like it busted or proved!!!!

I've heard from un reliable sources that when you take your iPhone to apple for a warranty issue, they might void your warranty if they see aftermarket parts

the myth goes is that if you take an iPhone you can check to see if the front glass is the REAL DEAL by placing it under an ultraviolet light. a real iPhone part will show apple logos that are only visible under ultraviolet light. and they have these lights in the back room to check your iPhones as they come in.

ive even noticed that when i take my iPhone in they will use a small mirror or something to see the water sensor but for some other reason i think i recall them taking my iPhone to the back room. i think maybe where the light is kept

can someone please check this and write back? heh

i dunno if the black lights at hot topic are the same as ultra violet

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
WARNING. this is a MYTH as far a i know. but i would like it busted or proved!!!!

I've heard from un reliable sources that when you take your iPhone to apple for a warranty issue, they might void your warranty if they see aftermarket parts

the myth goes is that if you take an iPhone you can check to see if the front glass is the REAL DEAL by placing it under an ultraviolet light. a real iPhone part will show apple logos that are only visible under ultraviolet light. and they have these lights in the back room to check your iPhones as they come in.

ive even noticed that when i take my iPhone in they will use a small mirror or something to see the water sensor but for some other reason i think i recall them taking my iPhone to the back room. i think maybe where the light is kept

can someone please check this and write back? heh

i dunno if the black lights at hot topic are the same as ultra violet

It's not a myth, it's true - with a difference. There are no "ultra violet" apple logos or anything, but when you spend all day every day looking at iPhones, you will spot a third party screen almost immediately. Differences in colour, texture, reflectivity, and internal cabling/stickers.

If you take your phone to Apple after putting a third party screen on they will offer no service at all. Not even a paid out-of-warranty repair. The only option they'll give you is to buy a new phone at full price.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
It's not a myth, it's true - with a difference. There are no "ultra violet" apple logos or anything, but when you spend all day every day looking at iPhones, you will spot a third party screen almost immediately. Differences in colour, texture, reflectivity, and internal cabling/stickers.

If you take your phone to Apple after putting a third party screen on they will offer no service at all. Not even a paid out-of-warranty repair. The only option they'll give you is to buy a new phone at full price.

yeah it sounds like a myth because uv markings aren't truly invisible and u can almost make them out by holding it at different angles

Last edited:

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Well? updates?

There is someone selling slightly used OEM screens for $70, not sure what to do.

stazi34

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
I bought a front display for my iphone 5 from ebay and it looked great the first two days, no scratches or anything. After i started noticing microscratches. The OEM screens are not up to par with apples original screens,

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I bought a front display for my iphone 5 from ebay and it looked great the first two days, no scratches or anything. After i started noticing microscratches. The OEM screens are not up to par with apples original screens,

I think this is why many are shipped with a separate stick-on glass protector.

After some shipping mixups my screen arrived yesterday. I may have a chance to install it later this afternoon. After that I can provide my assessment.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
At last I have the new screen installed on my iPhone 5S. It's probably not an exact equal to a stock screen in appearance but it's pretty close. I believe I've seen stock screens with about the same amount of variance. Anyway, it's a LOT better than the one I got off of Ebay. No lines and the brightness/contrast looks right.

It was $60 plus shipping from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.