Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_set.jpg
While Apple is expected to unveil its new wearable device, popularly referred to as the iWatch, at its media event scheduled for September 9, the device will likely not begin shipping until early next year, according to Re/code.
Sources in position to know tell me it won't arrive at market for a few months. "It's not shipping any time soon," said one. So when does Apple plan to ship its eagerly anticipated wearable? That's not clear, but my understanding is that we're unlikely to see it at retail until after the holiday season -- think early 2015.
Word of a significant gap between unveiling and launch is not a surprise, considering the company's history when entering new product segments. The iPhone and iPad both launched a number of months after their unveilings. With no existing Apple product of its type to see sales plummet ahead of a launch, Apple has more flexibility to announce early and ship somewhat later.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is among those who recently reported that a 2015 launch is likely for the iWatch, also having predicted last month that production on the device would not begin until November. Part leaks for the device have also been non-existent, supporting the notion that production has not yet begun.

Apple's September 9 event is expected to focus on the iPhone 6, with the iWatch sharing the stage. Early rumors had suggested Apple was looking to show off the iWatch in October, but it may have altered its plans to better position the device as an iPhone accessory rather than a standalone product.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Wearable Device Not Likely to Ship Until Early 2015

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm okay with this, it's much more exciting when I know nothing about it when they unveil it. Unlike the iPhone 6 which we know almost everything about.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
they will make a "sneak peak" like in case with the Mac Pro last year.
i think it's ok to give us something but to deliver to us when it's done and not in a hurry way

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Makes sense... I think everyone expected a launch delay since it's a new Apple product.

:apple:

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
I don't think so, I think Late november or December. They wouldn't want to miss out on bumper christmas sales.

If it went on sale in early December, that would leave a three month gap (Greater gap than between iPad announcement and iPad going on sale) and therefore plenty of time for it to go into production and get FCC approval.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
maybe?

Could certainly be the case given the purported supply constraints of key components like the screens. However, I expect that Apple would go to great lengths to hit the holiday season this year.

I guess we had to wait a long time for the Mac Pro, but the normal Apple pattern is availability within 60 days.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
More time for Samsung to commence copying...excuse me..."innovating" their new Galaxy smart watch.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
they will make a "sneak peak" like in case with the Mac Pro last year.
i think it's ok to give us something but to deliver to us when it's done and not in a hurry way

No I don't think it'll be presented like a 'sneak peek'. i suspect this will be the only launch for this product and it will be similar to the iPad and iPhone original events. I suspect the iWatch is ready for demo's and production, unlike the Mac Pro was in June last year.

nezr

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I'm only buying this for the unified health/fitness features. I dont care much about reading txt/email on the watch.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
They still can announce it early and ship later like the mac pro.
Crossing my fingers apple would announce the iwatch on 9 sept.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
There was a sudden and unexpected shift from calling this a watch to a "wearable device". I've noticed this across many tech news outlets. Interesting.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
That's how they roll. Just like with the iPhone, iPad, 2013 Mac Pro, or iOS 7 - the product is announced early with minimal if any leaks, and is released a few months later. Leaks come from the supply chain, not Cupertino.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Interesting.

While it makes sense on every possible way, it certainly isn't Apple's usual M.O.
If they keep changing what was wrong (iOS 8, Yosemite, current policies are great moves) but keep what was right, it is welcome.

Steve J. was very important for better focus, for saving the company. However, with a 600 Billion $ valuation, Apple is much more than that. Steve was limiting the company, in certain ways (the "this" or "nothing" attitude, like saying "no" to bigger phones and smaller tablets.)

I like the new Apple more and more.

About what this specific bit of news might tell us: Maybe it runs a very modified version of iOS, that needs new apps from scratch, like Android wear. Maybe new health products and home systems have to be ready for this product to unleash the hidden potential.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I believe it, rumors say it's coming but no part leaks. Probably a small quantity for prototypes to demo in a couple weeks, all built within Apple HQ.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I may have to give mac rumors a little break, if we are going to be seeing more of these rehash rumors for the next week:rolleyes:

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
They should do this with the iPhones, unveil them way before the mass production. Nowadays we know pretty much everything about the new products months before they are released. There's no surprises anymore.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Apples event is 2 weeks away? And we have seen NO parts leaks for any iWatch or Apple fitness band, just saying don't be shocked if all we get are 2 new iPhone models.

There weren't really that many (if any at all) leaks of the original iPhone, iPad, new Mac Pro, etc. They keep it locked down in Cupertino to stop leaks, announce it, then release later.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Doesn't suprise me. The original iphone wasn't released to the public for about 6 months after its announcement...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.