Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I don't know much about design - hoping others here may have a perspective.

I got into the (apparently bad) habit of putting my phone in my back pocket way back when the iP3 came out. The 3/3S had just enough flex to it so I had zero issues and the 4/4s was a solid brick- with the thicker perimeter band and more ridged back (but I know more breakable if dropped). The longer and thinner 5/5s design has resulted in 3 5/5s's becoming bent at the sim slot.

Will the new unibody style design make it any more rigid?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know much about design - hoping others here may have a perspective.

I got into the (apparently bad) habit of putting my phone in my back pocket way back when the iP3 came out. The 3/3S had just enough flex to it so I had zero issues and the 4/4s was a solid brick- with the thicker perimeter band and more ridged back (but I know more breakable if dropped). The longer and thinner 5/5s design has resulted in 3 5/5s's becoming bent at the sim slot.

Will the new unibody style design make it any more rigid?

it would if u stop sitting on it. lol

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Being thinner I do not see the 6 being stronger yet the one piece aluminum housing might help some.

If you put you phone in your back pocket and sit on it it could bend for sure. A friend of mine bent his in his front pocket by brushing up against a table.

I am a holster person as pockets are nasty.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Everything else being equal the 6 is thinner (easier to bend) and bigger (more leverage to bend it) it'll be more prone to bending.

We'll have to wait and see how it's constructed and how flexible it is before we'll know for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.