Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
London
Hi

Having upgraded my 4,1/5,1, I'm getting ready to bring it back home on an international flight this week.

I was going to check it in baggage, packing it in a Tenba Air Case designed for this purpose (http://www.tenba.com/Products/Transport-Air-Case-for-Computer-Equipment-Apple-Mac-Pro-Tower-Double-Door-w-wheels.aspx)

I'm pretty confident this is good protection, I just wonder internal components like GPU and RAM are safer installed and seated, or pulled. With heightened security, I hesitate to hand carry things that don't boot by themselves and might be viewed suspiciously.

Also, I'm looking to make sure I have loss insurance, but that is looking tricky as most baggage insurance is lower value than a MP tower

Any advice on those two angles?

Chughes

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
I've traveled quite a few times with Mac Pro's, always in Tenba cases like the one you posted. Not once have I had an issue with the tower getting any kind of damage, even with the cases likely being thrown around by the baggage handlers. It may seem like a stressful situation, but time and time again the machines are fine. They are much more durable than one would think.

Best of luck.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
London
Thanks for the reply. I'm sitting in the Stockholm airport, having been allowed to walk the thing to the gate and ask for carry-on (told it was 50-50). I left the GPU out just in case.

TSA was totally befuddled of course, checked for dead bodies in that thing, but the flight crew decided it was mighty big for the closet, but that way we skipped O'Hare baggage chuckers and thieves and made sure it got babied onto the plane for the big leg. They just gently handed it down to place in the hold with the strollers, etc. My only worry is that they checked it through to the connection, but I'm sure it will be there in the end. Its Sweden now, not Chicago

pwaisnor

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
New York, NY
This is Peter Waisnor from Tenba. I just wanted to note that there's no need to uninstall anything from the machine when shipping in an Air Case. All the rental houses in the U.S. leave everything intact when they ship computers to their clients in our cases.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Peter

Hi

Having upgraded my 4,1/5,1, I'm getting ready to bring it back home on an international flight this week.

I was going to check it in baggage, packing it in a Tenba Air Case designed for this purpose (http://www.tenba.com/Products/Transport-Air-Case-for-Computer-Equipment-Apple-Mac-Pro-Tower-Double-Door-w-wheels.aspx)

I'm pretty confident this is good protection, I just wonder internal components like GPU and RAM are safer installed and seated, or pulled. With heightened security, I hesitate to hand carry things that don't boot by themselves and might be viewed suspiciously.

Also, I'm looking to make sure I have loss insurance, but that is looking tricky as most baggage insurance is lower value than a MP tower

Any advice on those two angles?

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
London
Thanks for the reply, and a GREAT product (not a photographer so your line is new to me).

My beast made it here in pristine shape. I'm sure you're right that it would have been fine as is, but as I just bought the aftermarket GPU for a fair amount of money, I played it safe. Thanks for the advice

pwaisnor

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
New York, NY
Happy to help.

Thanks for the reply, and a GREAT product (not a photographer so your line is new to me).

My beast made it here in pristine shape. I'm sure you're right that it would have been fine as is, but as I just bought the aftermarket GPU for a fair amount of money, I played it safe. Thanks for the advice

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd pull the drives, so you don't lose your data in case they lose your computer.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I'd pull the drives, so you don't lose your data in case they lose your computer.

I was just about to recommend that!

And to add, I live my Tenba gear! I'm a photographer, so I'm well acquainted with the line of products.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
My 6-core Mac Pro in Tenba case.;)

14928668715_55c4874c38_z.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.