Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peropero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
I'm from London, UK....
I found an iphone 5s on the train and contacted the owner to return it. Turns out she was from Canada and was travelling around Europe. She had already left the country so I suggested that she arrange a courier to pick it up and deliver it to her home address. She said she would, once she returned home. I messaged her a month and half later after she failed to get in touch. She said it was too much hassle and said I can keep it! I was very surprised but thankful - she even removed it from her icloud account so I could use it. However, because she reported it lost, the imei is blacklisted. What would I need to ask her to do to get it un-blacklisted?

Thanks

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
If it was removed from her iCloud account then you shouldn't have any problems, usually blacklisting is only for the carriers within the country the person is from.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
However, because she reported it lost, the imei is blacklisted.
At a quick guess, she probably reported the phone lost so she can get an insurance replacement. If that's the case, I don't think you'll be able to get the iPhone un-blacklisted.

peropero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
kerrikins, it is locked to a Canadian network which means I'd have to get it unlocked. As I understand it, it can't be unlocked if it's blacklisted.

At a quick guess, she probably reported the phone lost so she can get an insurance replacement. If that's the case, I don't think you'll be able to get the iPhone un-blacklisted.

I see your point. I was thinking I could ask her get it un-blacklisted by reporting it as not lost, but I suspect you might be right as she didn't seem too bothered about losing it!

oh well, an expensive paper weight!

Thanks

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
It will cost you quite a bit of time and money to get nowhere on this one. I went through the same thing with my own phone. I thought I had gotten it stolen. I reported it stolen. Then a year later, I found it in my ski boot. I tried to have them activate it again explaining that it was mine all along. Nothing came of it. I just ended up using it as an iPod touch.

peropero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
True... I'll probably give it to my girlfriend as I have an ipod already.
Thanks for your replies

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
Didn't think Canadian carriers even blacklisted. She would also have to call her carrier and pay money to unlock it if it even qualifies for an unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.