Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im a computa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Hi all,

I'm at a loss right now, so I'm hoping you all will be able to help me out with this issue...

I tried removing my Windows 7 Bootcamp partition today in an effort to re-partition the drive to give Windows some more space. I got about 10% into the removal process via Bootcamp Assistant when I got an error stating that the drive cannot be restored. After this happened, the Windows 7 partition no longer shows anywhere on my hard drive, however it's still taking up space on my hard drive.

As of right now, here are the following symptoms:

1. I'm unable to boot into Windows using the Option key when booting. The Windows partition doesn't show in the list of selections
  2. I can't view the Windows partition in Disk Utility. If you're curious, here's a screenshot of the Partition tab in Disk Utility. As you can see, the space is still taken by the partition but I can't view it.
  3. Attempting to manually re-partition the OSX partition of the drive to include the "unaccounted for" space results in an error.
  4. Running Bootcamp Assistant to remove Windows only gives me the option to install Windows 7, as if the partition doesn't exist
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into my problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
On your screen shot I only can see one OSX partition ( 449.25 GB ). The white area is unused disk space. It looks like there is no Bootcamp ( Windows ) partition.

im a computa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
On your screen shot I only can see one OSX partition ( 449.25 GB ). The white area is unused disk space. It looks like there is no Bootcamp ( Windows ) partition.

Exactly the issue. I know the partition has to be there, because Bootcamp Assistant never made it past 10% of the restore, and when I actually boot my MBP it starts booting into the Windows partition...

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
When you power on your MBP you hear a short sound and see a white screen. Here you press and hold down the <alt> key left of your space bar. You should get into the native Boot Menu then. Select OS X and boot ?

im a computa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
When you power on your MBP you hear a short sound and see a white screen. Here you press and hold down the <alt> key left of your space bar. You should get into the native Boot Menu then. Select OS X and boot ?

Yes, I understand how to boot into OSX lol. My problem is I'm unable to view or modify the Windows partition from Disk Utility.

im a computa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I fixed this for anyone who cares or needs the information:

1. Run the Recovery console (hold OPTION at boot and select Recovery)
  2. Run Disk Utility
  3. Verify/Repair Disk
  4. Go to the Partition tab
  5. Drag the OSX partition to take up remaining space
  6. Click apply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.