Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know megapixels is not everything, but......I hope the beautifully redesigned iPhone 6 doesn't come with an 8mp sensor again. I hope the rumors of the 13mp sony sensor are true. With 13MP, the aide of Apples new A8 chip, iOS software optimization and image stabilization, that would be one hell of a camera.

We have had an 8mp sensor since 2011!

Let's look at the history:

iPhone 1st and 2nd gen:2mp - 2007-2008
iPhone 3G and 3GS: 3.5mp - 2009
iPhone 4: 5mp -2010
iPhone 4S: 8mp -2011
iPhone 5: 8mp - 2012
iPhone 5S: 8mp - 2013

IPhone 6: ? - 2014

What does everyone think?

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I hope so. If it's 8 MP, however, I'm sure Apple will find a way to improve it.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I bet it'll stay the same. And the tech sites and Samsung will bash apple for it.

Hexaea

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Chicago
I'm fine with 8 if they find other ways to improve the quality. Wouldn't mind the rumored 13 though either.

meownerelvi

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
yes,I bet it'll stay the same. And the tech sites and Samsung will bash apple for it.
pd6

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
An increase in megapixels would be nice, and I am guessing that would be a likely change given how long it has remained at 8. Perhaps they will improve to 4K video recording.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
iPhone 6 camera?

8MP is plenty. Good for up to about 11x13 prints. Larger if you do something like canvas prints. Ive got two fantastic 20x24 canvas prints at home on my wall. Which is impressive for such a miniature camera and more than anyone should expect.

Whats needed is an increase in quality.

Mega pixel is only one factor for photos. Individual pixel size is much more important for taking in light.

IPhone 5S increased the camera sensor's individual pixel size to 1.5μm. And gained notable improvement.

Rumors a few months ago weee is this will increase to 1.75 for iPhone 6.

Many DSLR's have pixel sizes in the 4-5μm size range. So much larger, thus can have more dynamic range, take in more light. Moving more in this direction is more valuable.

Additionally, more light from a more sensitive sensor, means better pictures at lower light. Incrementally.

OIS, image stabilization. Means they can slow the shutter speed by a stop or two for lower light situations, keep the image stable, so the exposure doesnt blur over time (ms)

----------

In conclusion.
I hope for an increase to at least 1.75μm pixels, and OIS. And if that means 8mp, A-OK!

It would be a sad step backwards to move up to 12/13mp if it meant pixel size stagnated or shrank.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
An increase in megapixels would be nice, and I am guessing that would be a likely change given how long it has remained at 8. Perhaps they will improve to 4K video recording.

Highly doubt they move to 4K video recording. Apple is typically very reserved to move to something that the mass majority of their users will get no immediate benefit from. I think that's the same reason it has taken so long for NFC to come to their device.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
If the rumors are true and the camera lens does stick out you can guarantee there will be big improvements other than megapixels. There is no way they would have a camera lens stick out of the phone unless it offer a major boost

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
It will improve like always. They will probably add something to it to make it better than the last.
It'll probably stay at 8mp, or move up a bit (like 10mp or 13mp)

:apple:

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
8MP is fine
Increase the sensor and pixel size, make it native 16:9
Aperture of either F2.0 or F1.8
OIS
Video 1080p at 60fps

If this being the case you have one hell of a camera on the iPhone 6, and will be superb for low light shots.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
All good insights, I know it will be better, and I know megapixel is mostly about the size of the photo, maybe it's just a number stuck in my head, but if the image quality is light years ahead with larger sensor pixels, a lower aperature and ois, I most certainly will be happy! The added megapixels would be a plus!

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
If Apple upgrades the camera megapixels, they have to kill the 16GB baseline iPhone. Most of the people I know have photos take up more space than anything else on their iPhones, and that problem will only get worse if the megapixels are increased.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If Apple upgrades the camera megapixels, they have to kill the 16GB baseline iPhone. Most of the people I know have photos take up more space than anything else on their iPhones, and that problem will only get worse if the megapixels are increased.
Apparently these people have never heard of online storage or downloading photos to a PC. More MP isn't an issue. People not knowing how to use their phones/apps capabilities is/are.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
good guess

Guessing Optical Image Stabilization

:apple:

I think ois is the best way to improve image quality at this point for apple. One can hope. Many other WP and Android phones have ois and growing. I am curious to see what Sonycan do with curved sensors. That may make lens stacks much smaller

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
An improved 8mp sensor would be much better than a rubbish 13mp surely? The OP is right, megapixels are not everything, especially on a phone with such restrictions on space etc. A good quality 8 or 10mp sensor would do nicely as it would be development spent on getting the camera right rather than fooling the consumer with silly megapixel numbers.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If the rumors are true and the camera lens does stick out you can guarantee there will be big improvements other than megapixels. There is no way they would have a camera lens stick out of the phone unless it offer a major boost

The phone is thinner, it has to stick out to fit. The camera lens sticks out of the iPod touch without a "major boost".

Although I definitely think there will be upgrades too it. iPhone cameras have always been more then adequate for me uses but I'm still always hoping for the most amount of improvement.

----------

An improved 8mp sensor would be much better than a rubbish 13mp surely? The OP is right, megapixels are not everything, especially on a phone with such restrictions on space etc. A good quality 8 or 10mp sensor would do nicely as it would be development spent on getting the camera right rather than fooling the consumer with silly megapixel numbers.

It's strange how marketing megapixels has come full circle. Now people actively don't want more. :D

Megapixel is resolution. Higher IS better but so are other variables.

You can have high megapixels on crappy optics and get big crappy pictures. You can have low megapixels on a good optics and get tiny good pictures.

However as long as you don't sacrifice the quality of your optics the addition of a higher megapixel sensor would be a benefit.

So saying 8mp is better then 13mp is true only if Apple decided to get rid of their currently used optics and replace them with rubbish.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
iPhone 6 camera?

That was my point yes. My DSLR is only 10mp and takes better pictures than an 18mp cheapy compact I have. If the optics are improved, then the mp doesn't need to go higher. I have a photo on my wall the size of A4 that was taken on an iPhone so the quality is not currently that bad.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am hoping that Apple steps up and really improves not only the sensor but the lens and the software running both. We have a S5 in the family and I must say the images and spectacular.

I do not think Apple will disappoint.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Indeed the S5 does take superb images but only in good light, as soon as conditions change then you starts to have problems.

With the 5S for example can takes good shots in all lighting conditions, if the 6 can improve on this then brilliant.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know megapixels is not everything, but......I hope the beautifully redesigned iPhone 6 doesn't come with an 8mp sensor again. I hope the rumors of the 13mp sony sensor are true. With 13MP, the aide of Apples new A8 chip, iOS software optimization and image stabilization, that would be one hell of a camera.

We have had an 8mp sensor since 2011!

Let's look at the history:

iPhone 1st and 2nd gen:2mp - 2007-2008
iPhone 3G and 3GS: 3.5mp - 2009
iPhone 4: 5mp -2010
iPhone 4S: 8mp -2011
iPhone 5: 8mp - 2012
iPhone 5S: 8mp - 2013

IPhone 6: ? - 2014

What does everyone think?

I would rather a larger 8MP sensor than the same sensor size but with more MP.

What are you doing with the photos that requires more MP over a larger sensor?

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
The megapixel race has really gotten crazy. I am very happy with an 8 MP sensor. You can print photos at very decent sizes without loosing quality. To me a bigger sensor would be the best upgrade. As long as we have 1080p recording and possibly an image stabilization I'll be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.