Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
I retired a while ago for reasons of a personal nature.

Not a web savvy man but know my way around photographic stuff quite well (ex Pro Tog)

I have seen many work on line 'cons' and wonder if there are real jobs out there that will actually give me a sense of purpose and a bit of cash. Not seeking a career.

Based in Scotland but the world is my web-based oyster.

Any ideas anyone??

p.s. - odd hours would not matter at all!
signature shows hardware standard.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Not a web savvy man but know my way around photographic stuff quite well (ex Pro Tog)

I have seen many work on line 'cons' and wonder if there are real jobs out there that will actually give me a sense of purpose and a bit of cash. Not seeking a career.

Any ideas anyone??

An interesting question. I'm also retired and I imagine that the part times jobs, with meaning and decent pay, I'd want to do are limited. Cashier? No, especially no to a job that involves standing all day. Walmart greeter? No (lol). I worked through college as an electrician, in both new and old work, and at one point imagined that as a retiree, I could work as a part time, small job electrician, but getting a license stands in my way. Where I live it may include time as an apprentice.

I also considered hooking up a camera to a radio control helo and taking real estate photos. After investing about $500 in a RC Helo, and managed to crash it due to mechanical issues, I realized that I would need an on-call mechanic who knows more about RC helos then I do. Flying was not the issue, maintenance was. Helos are about 10x as complicated as an airplane, but for aerial real estate photos, a helo is required. That was about 5 years ago. Since then my impression is that RC helos are becoming much more user friendly, but I have dropped the idea worrying about liability issues.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
An interesting question. I'm also retired and I imagine that the part times jobs, with meaning and decent pay, I'd want to do are limited. Cashier? No, especially no to a job that involves standing all day. Walmart greeter? No (lol). I worked through college as an electrician, in both new and old work, and at one point imagined that as a retiree, I could work as a part time, small job electrician, but getting a license stands in my way. Where I live it may include time as an apprentice.

I also considered hooking up a camera to a radio control helo and taking real estate photos. After investing about $500 in a RC Helo, and managed to crash it due to mechanical issues, I realized that I would need an on-call mechanic who knows more about RC helos then I do. Flying was not the issue, maintenance was. Helos are about 10x as complicated as an airplane, but for aerial real estate photos, a helo is required. That was about 5 years ago. Since then my impression is that RC helos are becoming much more user friendly, but I have dropped the idea worrying about liability issues.

I'm still a good few years away from retirement, but I always kinda hoped to work at a library somewhere. Or at least doing something with books. But who knows, it probably won't end up happening. Libraries probably wont exist in 20 years.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I'm still a good few years away from retirement, but I always kinda hoped to work at a library somewhere. Or at least doing something with books. But who knows, it probably won't end up happening. Libraries probably wont exist in 20 years.

Sad, but true. Look at the front page. The LA Unified School District is spending big money on iPads/Tablets for the students.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
If I were retired I'd work as a golf course ranger three mornings a week chasing the pretty beverage cart girl around.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

Any ideas anyone??

Why not the obvious choice, photographer? Are you tired of doing that or something?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

Bookstores no, but libraries yes. At least the big ones. There are all kinds of materials needed for research that may never be digitized or at least not soon.

You could always get a job delivering newspapers. Oh, wait. Never mind.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Google Search is the modern library for today's generation. And Wikipedia also.

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
Reasons

Why not the obvious choice, photographer? Are you tired of doing that or something?

I suppose the "essential tremors", poor fitness and failing eyesight have taken a lot of the pleasure out of photography as being there, seeing the shot and holding the camera still while hitting the button are problematic.

I still take images but with a tripod/remote release and long setups but don't get the same buzz that I used to from the results (my bad).

The market for my stuff is full of bright, talented and deserving people so there it is:( .

Looking for something a lifetime of travel,various careers,image knowledge and computer proficiency can be of use.
Teaching would be good but the UK is a bummer of a place for that so struggling a bit.

Hence the post in the first place.

Further thoughts very welcome. :)

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
If you are looking for real flexibility and have good camera equipment, consider being a stringer for local newspapers. Some of the best pictures that I've seen published in local papers are taken by stringers and sold to the newspaper. While it isn't always easy to find news stories to shoot, you do know where all the sporting events are. Get some great shots of the high school football game on a Friday night. Remember, newspapers have tight deadlines. You may actually need to contact them before the game is over, especially with late games.

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
see above

If you are looking for real flexibility and have good camera equipment, consider being a stringer for local newspapers. Some of the best pictures that I've seen published in local papers are taken by stringers and sold to the newspaper. While it isn't always easy to find news stories to shoot, you do know where all the sporting events are. Get some great shots of the high school football game on a Friday night. Remember, newspapers have tight deadlines. You may actually need to contact them before the game is over, especially with late games.

see above

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Google Search is the modern library for today's generation. And Wikipedia also.

Yes, but you don't always find the more detailed sources that you may need on Wikipedia. More to the point, libraries have always offered the less well off a safe place to study and access sources of information.

Besides, in the fields of public policy, and facilitation of public education (especially for the less well off) they offer a safe public space that no computer can yet replicate.

I, for one, deplore the cut-backs to public libraries that we see taking place at present in some western countries & societies; it is not just about the provision of books (though that is hugely important), or the mistaken (fashionable) belief that books will be replaced by online sources (I doubt that; rather, as with radio & TV, I rather imagine that they will continue to co-exist).

No, it is more the fact that library afforded an opportunity, and a safe public space where those who lacked the means and resources could actually find a place to learn. As such, libraries - especially public libraries - have always been a progressive force and place in an urban landscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.