Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
i feel like we'll all just see the iWatch announced with a later release date, like i mean way later than the iphone 6. there's no leaks around and that's because it's probably not in production stage yet. disappointed? yes. But at least they are confirming the rumors to hold us hoping for the release date.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I have to agree and think it has yet gone into production or we would have seen more. But then again, Apple might be holding the lid on this and it will release with the 6.

if they pull that off.. i would **** bricks.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've seen rumors speculating that it might be manufactured in Austin facility? Not sure about that though. As said, maybe production just hasn't ramped up. Most leaks are from factories/shipping partners overseas.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
And - you're also just guessing that "no leaks" means "not in production"
Maybe there's just no reporting - because (I'm also just guessing) the device is so different that the reporters are simply missing potential leaks (because they don't know what they are seeing)
I recall that almost no real info was available before the first iPhone was announced. The "iWatch/iTime/etc/etc" may have a similar announcement, and AFTER the announcement, you'll hear lots of tech news say something like "Oh, that's what THAT thing was! I never connected that to anything Apple "

And, this will be a big time stop to the idea that Apple has "stopped innovating"

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Rumors have said that it would be shown at the event but not released until late 2014 early 2015 so that would explain why there are no leaks.

Michaelnyc

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
3-6 months

There aren't any leaks cuz it hasn't left the apple design lab. The reason why we see leaks of iPhones is because it is being manufactured and handled by others outside of apple. Also, it takes a while for apple to get FCC clearance to sell a new device. Remember the first iPhone introduction? Steve jobs announced it in January and it went on sale in June... That gave them time to create ad campaigns, manufacturing plans... And FCC APPROVAL. Once the FCC gets it, they legally have to post the filings for the public to view (taking the lid off the product). Personally, I doubt we will see an I watch this year.. I believe it will be announce in January/feb 2015, and on sale a couple months thereafter.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
This might be the same case as the mac pro refresh. No one knew anything about it until the announcement, but even so they didnt go on sale until months after. And though we might see the iWatch september 9th, it probably wont be available until later this year, or next.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
i know.. disappointing. but at least its a breadcrumb for us apple guys to know the iwatch will be sold.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I guess their wearable will be sold later this year even if they'll announce it next month. That would explain the absence of leaks.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There aren't any leaks cuz it hasn't left the apple design lab. The reason why we see leaks of iPhones is because it is being manufactured and handled by others outside of apple. Also, it takes a while for apple to get FCC clearance to sell a new device. Remember the first iPhone introduction? Steve jobs announced it in January and it went on sale in June... That gave them time to create ad campaigns, manufacturing plans... And FCC APPROVAL. Once the FCC gets it, they legally have to post the filings for the public to view (taking the lid off the product). Personally, I doubt we will see an I watch this year.. I believe it will be announce in January/feb 2015, and on sale a couple months thereafter.

This. While I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if we saw something iWatch related at the keynote, I would expect that the ship date for an iWatch would be months out.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Don't see why they can't announce it on Sept. 9 for release in time for the holidays. Part of the reason why there have been no leaks are either it has not yet reached the manufacturing stage, or it will most likely be produced in the US and thus won't be susceptible to part leaks that are out of Apple's control. My money is on at least an announcement on the 9th.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Maybe there's just no reporting - because (I'm also just guessing) the device is so different that the reporters are simply missing potential leaks (because they don't know what they are seeing)

Could be.

I recall that almost no real info was available before the first iPhone was announced.

True, there are a lot of similarities.

• With the iPhone, by mid 2006, everyone knew that it was coming by either the end of the year or early 2007.
  • By November 2006, we even knew that Foxconn was the manufacturer, and rumors said it would ship in 4GB and 8GB versions.
  • In December 2006 it was reported that the iPhone would be GSM/EDGE only, and probably launch on Cingular (AT&T).

So, just as with the "iWatch", we knew a lot of info, but not the important overall look or UI.

The "iWatch/iTime/etc/etc" may have a similar announcement, and AFTER the announcement, you'll hear lots of tech news say something like "Oh, that's what THAT thing was! I never connected that to anything Apple "

Speaking of missed clues, black faced capacitive screen phones were all the rage at cell phone shows in 2006, and it was predicted that they'd be commonplace by the end of 2007. Reporters paid little attention, though.

There aren't any leaks cuz it hasn't left the apple design lab. The reason why we see leaks of iPhones is because it is being manufactured and handled by others outside of apple. Also, it takes a while for apple to get FCC clearance to sell a new device. Remember the first iPhone introduction? Steve jobs announced it in January and it went on sale in June... That gave them time to create ad campaigns, manufacturing plans... And FCC APPROVAL. Once the FCC gets it, they legally have to post the filings for the public to view (taking the lid off the product).

So... you're predicting that the "iWatch" will be announced six months ahead of time?

Jobs did not have to announce the iPhone ahead of time. Apple didn't even get FCC approval until May, and even then they requested secrecy until July.

The only thing the FCC had to post were the SAR reports and the location of the FCC label. So the only thing we'd have known was that it had no 3G and that the back looked like this: (This is the official FCC filing)

fcc_iphone_label.png

Which looked pretty much like a longer iPod. There was no indication of a touchscreen, or flat front, the touch UI, or anything like that.

(If they had had a removable back, then we'd have known even less, because the sticker diagram would've shown the battery compartment instead.)

Now, revealing the "iWatch" shape would be much more interesting and informative, I think. Although, as with the iPhone shape, it would tell us nothing about the UI or other capabilities.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
technically we have 11 days.. who knows maybe an iwatch leak will surface by then.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Given all the smartwatches on and coming to the market, perhaps iwatch components have simply blended in? Its not like we know what it's supposed to look like.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What's an iWatch?

That's just another version of the question raised by this thread.
We'll find out if Apple has decided to use that name for some product - or some other name that might be a surprise - on 9-9-14

Right now - your guess about the "iWatch" is as good (or bad :D ) as anyone else's.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
That's just another version of the question raised by this thread.

We'll find out if Apple has decided to use that name for some product - or some other name that might be a surprise - on 9-9-14

Right now - your guess about the "iWatch" is as good (or bad :D ) as anyone else's.

Personally, I think it will a covert NSA spy device.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Personally, I think it will a covert NSA spy device.

So, you have two choices:
Either you really want one.
Or, you refuse to touch one.

On the other hand (unless your wearable device is on your ankle, then I could say "on the other foot!") No one really knows except the NSA.
(and the tin-foil-hat crowd :D )

Anyway, now you are showing that you don't know that ALL electronic devices are NSA spy devices - Or - you DO know that, but don't care :D
But, that's a discussion that belongs on a mental health thread, eh?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Apps need to be developed. That takes time. They'll announce and show, and release a developer's kit. Then they'll ship a few months later, after the dev community has developed some killer apps.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Where are the iWatch leaks?

So, you have two choices:

Either you really want one.

Or, you refuse to touch one.

On the other hand (unless your wearable device is on your ankle, then I could say "on the other foot!") No one really knows except the NSA.

(and the tin-foil-hat crowd :D )

Anyway, now you are showing that you don't know that ALL electronic devices are NSA spy devices - Or - you DO know that, but don't care :D

But, that's a discussion that belongs on a mental health thread, eh?

There is nothing to touch yet. Where is this magical device? There is nothing to refuse to touch. There is plenty to want, though that exists in your mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.