Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If your phone contract ends today, which carrier will you sign with?

• AT&T

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • Verizon

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Sprint

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 29 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012

And why?

--------------------------------

The old thread below is from December 2013. I thought a new thread might be in order with all the changes in the past 9 months or so. Same topic, just different time frame. So those who voted last time can vote again /change their vote.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1679881/

AT&T----- 77------ 34.53%
Verizon----- 46------- 20.63%
Sprint ------ 9------- 4.04%
T-Mobile----- 73------ 32.74%
Other ------ 18----- 8.07%

Thank you to 223 people who voted.

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
Since none of them offer great coverage in my area, I'll stick with AT&T. The bill is reasonable with the wife's corporate discount and I've never really had a problem with their customer service.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Verizon, although on the expensive side, coverage is amazing. Service is very reliable, data speeds are very good as well.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
AT&T. They fit my needs and my contract already ended.
Currently off contract and will probably go back to them with an unlocked phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Att prepaid. You get the lower monthly cost and GSM. I would say T-Mobile, but their coverage is nowhere near att/Verizon.

2 year contract and phone financing is just ridiculous to me. People end up paying $100+ a month for sservice and a phone for two years!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I would guess that you will get similar results.

But, even if they flip flopped, what would this information tell us?

(my answer - nothing)

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
AT&T for me. Had Verizon for 6 years but moved to a fringe area, thought it was the end of the world. Been on AT&T for about a full contract cycle now and am really impressed with their coverage. Would say they are on par with Verizon for reliability of coverage in my neck of the woods (Bloomington, IL), and superior in network quality. Band 4 is deployed here so speeds are 30-70 Mbps consistently.

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Att prepaid. You get the lower monthly cost and GSM. I would say T-Mobile, but their coverage is nowhere near att/Verizon.

2 year contract and phone financing is just ridiculous to me. People end up paying $100+ a month for sservice and a phone for two years!

It depends. Most people in USA are on family plans.

Why do u think all 4 carriers have heavily promoted family plan?

The single line ends up paying the most.

But the most lines u add. The cheaper the cost gets.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Staying with AT&T, haven't had problem with service at all, their customer service has been good to me and the price I'm paying is reasonable (and comparable to other providers, except Sprint)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would stay with Verizon. Like their coverage and customer service. Don't need to talk and surf at the same time, so that is not an issue for me with the iphone.

edit: I travel all over the country so I need to ensure good coverage.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would go with Verizon but the limited time only clause is a cause for concern for me.
Verizon will finally offer discounts when you bring your own device starting on April 17, the company announced today. The new deal will cover any customers signing up for the carrier’s More Everything contracts as well as existing customers who move to the new plans.

Today’s news finally brings Verizon in line with most of its competitors, which already offer similar discounts for customers who supply their own smartphones. Starting this Thursday you can take advantage of the deal by visiting the My Verizon website or heading to a local Verizon Wireless store. If you’re interested you should act quickly since Verizon says it will only offer the discount for a limited time.

We have 4 lines on AT&T and buying outright 4 Verizon iPhones off-contract will be quite expensive (4x $750 32GB + tax = ~$3300). We can use EDGE but who knows whether Verizon will still offer BYOD discounts after we've paid off the phones in 20 months. For now, I'm sticking to AT&T until it looks like Verizon will keep BYOD discounts permanently. However, I'm still undecided whether to go AT&T Next or just buy a Verizon iPhone outright. Strongly considering buying Verizon factory unlocked so if we do switch, we won't have to replace all 4 phones at once.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Since T-Mobile is relatively good in my area, I'd pick them only because they have cheaper prices than Verizon. Recently I had to change my data plan with Verizon just so my bill won't be as high (went from 4GB to 2GB), I really hated that I had to do it but it was the only way to make my bill go down. With T-Mobile, I can get unlimited everything for $80+tax. Not a bad deal in my opinion. And to be honest, with T-Mobile's new music service, I don't even need unlimited data anymore. Oh yea, and I wouldn't be signing another contract anytime soon.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
AT&T hasn't let me down yet. Great coverage and impressive LTE speeds. I've used T-Mobile before, but their coverage inside many buildings was horrid. It's slightly better now at least.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
result so far

AT&T 18 62.07%
Verizon 3 10.34%
Sprint 1 3.45%
T-Mobile 6 20.69%
Other 1 3.45%

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
....2 year contract and phone financing is just ridiculous to me. People end up paying $100+ a month for service and a phone for two years!

We have 2 Iphone 5, 1 5s, 1 4s, 10gb data across all devices plus tethering on 2 ipads and laptop. We pay $160 per month.

Been with ATT for 10+ years. Why would I change now?

If we add a new iphone (probably not) it will cost maybe $200-$300 plus the monthly twenty$$ something.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Chose AT&T for price and coverage.

I've almost always had LTE or 4G HSPA+ when driving between San Diego and San Francisco. I took T-Mobile up on their 200mb free data. I usually get 3G or EDGE, but it's totally unusable as a message keeps popping up saying that there was no internet connection.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Probably Verizon, although a bit pricy even with my 21% voice plan discount due to my employer, their coverage is unmatched (at least in my area) & customer service is much better than AT&T. I was with AT&T for 15-years, through the Cingular thing as well...and their customer service attitude, as well as the attitude of in-store associates became arrogant & condescending. That was the reason for my jump to VZW.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

$160/4 lines = $40 per line

That's cheaper than $60/mo on ATT GoPhone for unlimited talk, text and 2.5GB data. While current 2 year contracts are pretty bad value, Next is just 0% financing so total cost of ownership vs buying outright is the same.

Cricket Wireless actually seems a decent option but I don't want to be reliant on jailbreaks for tethering.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I guess it just depends if you are on a family plan or individual. Next also has a monthly fee in addition to the phone price.

qwerty994

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
California
For a few months I wanted to go to T-Mobile, but a few days ago I started looking at AT&T. While T-Mobile is so much better on paper, The coverage isn't the best, especially in my area. For now I think I'll go with AT&T Next and get a new iPhone every year.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
With much reluctance, we will be renewing our verizon contract. The city we live in has banned new cell phone tower construction and verizon is the only carrier that has anything even remotely resembling coverage.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Verizon and Sprint are not an option for me, at least not until VoIP is rolled out. Sprint just flat out stinks in my area anyway. So that leaves AT&T and T-Mobile. Really wish I could go T-Mobile, but in my two "tests" over the past year they just didn't have the coverage outside of my area when I travel and/or on my non-LTE phones. So still AT&T by default.

Side note: In the poll results why is AT&T Red and Verizon Blue? Sprint is Yellow and T-Mobile is Pink :)

Last edited:

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Been with AT&T since I became the proud owner of an original iPhone back in Feb 2008 and haven't looked back since. Too many reasons to stick with them for me to think about leaving.

Fast and reliable data speeds over both 4G HSPA and LTE.

Reliable call quality all day long in my area.

Grandfathered plan features that AT&T will let me keep forever (so they tell me every 2 years at upgrade time when I re-up my contract) so I keep unlimited data and rollover minutes - no having to sign up for any Next or mobile shared plan for me!

Ability to talk/surf at the same time since I had the 3GS.

Nice 22% discount I get from my employer culminating in savings and a price point I would not get elsewhere.

Yeah with all of that it would be asinine for me to think about jumping ship. As long as I get to keep my existing plan and keep things they way they are, then I will likely be a lifer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.