Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Built From Parts Supports Theory of 1334 x 750 Display

Yesterday, we shared a video and some photos from Feld & Volk [Instagram page] apparently showing a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 built from parts actually booting to the "Connect to iTunes" recovery mode screen.

A Tweet today from developer Steven Troughton-Smith points out that the graphics shown on the display during this booting process "*seem* to confirm" John Gruber's arguments in favor of the device being equipped with a 1334 x 750 display at the same 326 pixels per inch density of previous Retina displays. More specifically, the evidence points toward an approximately 667 x 375 point display, which would presumably arrive in the form of a 2x Retina display at 1334 x 750 as Gruber suggests.

Sparked by Troughton-Smith's observation, we have independently examined photos of the booting device provided to us by Feld & Volk and come to the same conclusion.

iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 5s (right) shown booting to recovery mode. Letterboxing on iPhone 6 visible below Lightning cable.
The method relies on the fact that the "Connect to iTunes" image does not completely fill the display on the iPhone 6, with the Lightning cable ending above the bottom edge of the screen whereas on current iPhones it extends all the way to the edge. Assuming this "letterboxing" is due to the image not being optimized for the larger iPhone 6 display, it would correspond to the image filling an area equivalent to a 4-inch screen centered on the device's 4.7-inch display.

This would account for the margin of black seen between the cable and the bottom of the display, and measuring the ratio of the space (plus a presumed equal one at the top) to the overall display size should yield an approximation of how much larger the viewable area is in points on the iPhone 6.

4.7-inch iPhone 6 display showing apparent letterboxed areas (red) with image optimized for 4-inch display (blue)
(Click for larger)
By our calculations, the border areas not covered by the image together suggest that the iPhone 6 display carries approximately 17.5% more points in the vertical dimension than a current 4-inch display. This would move the current 568-point height of the iPhone 6 (1136 pixels at 2x Retina) to 667 points (1334 pixels assuming 2x Retina) on the iPhone 6.

Assuming the aspect ratio of the screen remains the same as in the iPhone 5s, which by all indications it does, this would mean a 667 x 375 point (1334 x 750 pixels Retina) display for the iPhone 6. Performing the calculation in the horizontal dimension is more difficult due to nature of the recovery mode image, with no portion of the visible graphics extending to the side edge of the overall image to determine how much letterboxing space is on the sides.

Some observers have questioned the legitimacy of the video given the unfamiliar gear icon at initial startup and the blue iTunes logo that does not match the new red logo used on iOS 8, but Troughton-Smith notes the device is likely simply running Apple's BurnIn tool rather than full iOS 7 or 8.

This analysis obviously addresses only the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 that Feld & Volk has acquired parts for. Gruber suggests the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will likely contain a 2208 x 1242 display at a sharper 3x factor than the current 2x Retina. As pointed out by developer James Thomson and 9to5Mac, the current iOS 8 beta is indeed showing some behavior indicating a preference for displaying 3x images when available.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Built From Parts Supports Theory of 1334 x 750 Display
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:57 AM   #2
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

That would be the simplest way to do it, surly? The same sized pixels, but more workable screen real estate.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:57 AM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

I think I'll be able to GIVE the keynote on the 9th at this rate!
jabingla2810 is offline   94 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:00 PM   #4
pedromcm.pm
In Time-Out

This iPhone could have never ending battery life, a nuclear generator as a SoC... I don't care.

With 1 GB of RAM, we know people will be getting screwed when they buy one. To a lesser extent, it already happened with iPad Air, mini retina and even the 5s. What a bummer, if true.

Since the a7 is already limited by the 1 GB of Ram, they might as well use it on the next devices too.
pedromcm.pm is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Pez555
macrumors 65816

Looks like there is less bezel at the sides too judging by that pic.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:01 PM   #6
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
Say hi from Stuffradio at the keynote!
stuffradio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:01 PM   #7
taptic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Unless, of course, the iWatch is real... It's surprising how well it's been under wraps...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:01 PM   #8
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Not surprised Gruber will get this right. He was spot on with the iPhone 5 display changes.
ValSalva is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:02 PM   #9
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
That made me laugh because its true.

Most people forget that the general public has no idea about this and so on Sept 9 (just like every year) their are going to be so many post on MacRumors Forums of people disappointed by the announcement saying "we already knew that" and "is that it?" and the classic "Apple is doomed"
saving107 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

I'm listening to Gruber's podcast right now (published yesterday). The first 30 minutes are all about this topic and why it makes sense for Apple to do it this way, especially given the sessions at WWDC about apps that adapt based on the device screen resolution.

He mentioned somewhat shyly at the beginning that he wasn't completely guessing and that he's talked with some people that claim to have handled the device.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Markiie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Markiie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
This iPhone could have never ending battery life, a nuclear generator as a SoC... I don't care.

With 1 GB of RAM, we know people will be getting screwed when they buy one. To a lesser extent, it already happened with iPad Air, mini retina and even the 5s. What a bummer, if true.

Since the a7 is already limited by the 1 GB of Ram, they might as well use it on the next devices too.
Well, it didn't take to long on this thread before this was mentioned. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Not surprised Gruber will get this right. He was spot on with the iPhone 5 display changes.
Let's hope he's right about the 5.5 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Unless, of course, the iWatch is real... It's surprising how well it's been under wraps...
Nothing ever came out about the iPad.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:03 PM   #12
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Let's talk about my shoe size instead. It's much more interesting.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:04 PM   #13
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
You don't know what I know!

Mwahahaha!
jabingla2810 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Elijen
macrumors regular

The display's black contrast on iPhone 6 sucks. I hope it's just because of how the photo was taken :-/
Elijen is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez555 View Post
Looks like there is less bezel at the sides too judging by that pic.
I'm not sure how willing Apple will be to lose the symmetry, but it may be time to start researching ways to lose the bezel at the top of the device in iPhone 7 and beyond. In comparison with Galaxy devices and Sharp's Aquos Crystal, the iPhone is starting to look a little unwieldy with those larger top and bottom bezels.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what you do with TouchID/Home Button if you look to reduce the bottom bezel.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:09 PM   #16
jhead95
macrumors member

If this is consumer ready, the back light on the 4.7 looks pretty ****ing ****.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:10 PM   #17
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I agree that this year we've seen a hell of a lot of leaks but for me, nothing beats Phil Schiller unveiling the new iPhone on stage.

I still can't wait!

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 8
SMIDG3T is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:10 PM   #18
ImperialForces
macrumors member

Location: Sure! Do you have a pen and paper? I'm in your moms house. I'll be waiting.
I don't understand what this means. Is he saying that the 4.7 inch will have twice the pixel density of the iPhone 5s or not?
ImperialForces is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 PM   #19
ghost187
macrumors regular

I think at such a pathetic resolution 1gb ram will be enough for the 4.7.

But, will the 5.5 have a higher resolution? If so, will it have 2gb of ram?
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:12 PM   #20
Anti-Lucifer
Banned

a barely better than 720p screen, 1GB ram, crappy battery capacity - wow, I thought these leaks are for a windows mobile phone!
Anti-Lucifer is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:12 PM   #21
marvz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhead95 View Post
If this is consumer ready, the back light on the 4.7 looks pretty ****ing ****.
It's not. It wasn't build by Apple but by Feld&Volk.

OT I was hoping for more than 326 ppi �� but as Gruber pointed out, there aren't any real different options. We probably have to wait for the 4.7 iPhone 7 with 2x 1334x750.

Last edited by marvz; Aug 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
marvz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:12 PM   #22
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialForces View Post
I don't understand what this means. Is he saying that the 4.7 inch will have twice the pixel density of the iPhone 5s or not?
"Equipped with a 1334 x 750 display at the same 326 pixels per inch density of previous Retina displays."

The same 326 pixels per inch as previous models!

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 8
SMIDG3T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:13 PM   #23
illusionmist
macrumors member

If the 5.5" version turns out to have far more superior specs than the 4.7", I would be so mad.
illusionmist is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:13 PM   #24
Zxxv
macrumors 65816

Quote:
reading macrumours around this time is like tearing open a corner of your christmas presents to see what your getting and then crying on christmas day because theres no magic feeling inside
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:14 PM   #25
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
He mentioned somewhat shyly at the beginning that he wasn't completely guessing and that he's talked with some people that claim to have handled the device.
I’ve said this in the past: regardless if what Gruber says about not having “inside information”, many times when he writes about very specific details/specifications, it’s not based solely on his own theories.

Hoping the 5.5” with the 2208x1242 display is real too

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion