Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_ifoyucouldsee-250x314.jpg
In the latest of a string a reports regarding Apple's plans for its upcoming wearable device, Re/code reports company executives have "discussed" a rough price of $400 for the device. That is merely a range, however, with cheaper models perhaps also in the works.
Apple executives have discussed charging around $400 for the company's new wearable device.

Pricing has yet to be finalized for the forthcoming product, which is expected to begin shipping next year. Sources say consumers should expect a range of prices for different models including lower priced versions.
The report indicates that it is unclear whether Apple will have the pricing issue settled in time for its September 9 media event where it will reportedly show off the device, popularly referred to as the iWatch. If not, the company would remain silent on pricing for the time being and announce it a later date closer to launch, which may not occur until early next year.

Rumors regarding the wearable device have been inconsistent over time, making it unclear where on the spectrum of health and fitness band to true smart watch it will fall. Apple may, however, have altered its announcement schedule in order to better position the device as an iPhone accessory rather than as a standalone product.

(Image: iWatch concept from ifyoucouldseethefuture.com)

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Weighing $400 Price Range for Upcoming Wearable Device

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Most hideous mockup yet lol. It would sell extremely well at $99 - $149, not $400 :) Edit: If it's nothing more than a glorified fitbit. If it's a fashion/jewelry piece then $400 is more reasonable.

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
If it can take calls, messages and emails from the iPhone, that's fine with me.

If it just collects data and is used to track how many steps you take in one day for example, no way.

Still, I can't wait to see what it looks like and what features it has when Apple unveil it.

Last edited:

Uoughtano7

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Given an earlier rumor suggesting there would be some expectation lowering by branding the device as an accessory for the iPhone $400 seems way too expensive.

Now that said if it truly does include many of the rumored health scanning features the $400 begins to seem more reasonable.

emiliosic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Wakefield MA
The high end Pebble goes for about $250. That seems to be the upper limit for current generation smart watches.
Considering that the iPad mini that is already overprice goes for an asking price of $ 399.9999; with a higher bill of materials; a price of $ 400 might only seem reasonable in Silicon Valley or NYC

$199 sounds good

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
So in countries with carrier subsidies, you could buy two iPhone 6's for the price of a single iWatch?

At $400, count me out.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I would hope it's like an extension to the iPhone. My wishes:

• Takes calls/text messages
  • Facetime
  • Email
  • Open to other apps being developed
  • MP3 Player

Not much I know, but just a few things I'd hope that it can do for that price. And these don't include things like health monitoring etc.

tyasjs

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
They've got to be off their rocker if they think folks will wanna' pay that price. They should make it come included with the iPhone 6. :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Let's see... for $500 you can buy an automatic Swiss made watch that is not Swatch (brand).

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Hoity-Toity Market

If it comes in at $400 it's obvious Apple is targeting the "upper crust" to make this thing fly.:eek:

I also say $199 is a good price point and this wearable will fly off the shelves. Tell us it ain't so, Apple. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.