Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am just glad to see some action in this part of the forum again! :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That still leaves the price factor though. A top of the line gaming pc that can keep up with new games for 4-5 years will run you what, like 2-3 thousand bucks? Just for gaming, that's madness to me. If you need a machine like that for 4k video editing or something anyway, that's a different story. Don't use "Office" as an alibi though - you don't need a thousand dollar video card to run Word!! :p

Oh of course! There's always a price tag on the best way to do things ;)
Is Open Office acceptable?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
That still leaves the price factor though. A top of the line gaming pc that can keep up with new games for 4-5 years will run you what, like 2-3 thousand bucks? Just for gaming, that's madness to me. If you need a machine like that for 4k video editing or something anyway, that's a different story. Don't use "Office" as an alibi though - you don't need a thousand dollar video card to run Word!! :p
Nah. You can build a very nice gaming machine for <$1000, even less than $600. You can certainly build a PC that's faster than the PS4 or XB1 for the same price.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the PC vs Mac stuff, this is about Console Games not PCs.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
$499 COD AW bundle with 1TB storage and nice paint job and controller coming in November
codconsole2.0.jpg

$399 White XB1 with Sunset Overdrive coming in October
white-xbox-one1.jpg

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
$499 COD AW bundle with 1TB storage and nice paint job and controller coming in November

$399 White XB1 with Sunset Overdrive coming in October

Both of those look amazing - I gotta say Microsoft should start an Xbox One internal HD upgrade program at their retail stores, bring in your console and choose between different upgrade sizes for a set fee, since this box isn't user upgradable without voiding warranty.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Both of those look amazing - I gotta say Microsoft should start an Xbox One internal HD upgrade program at their retail stores, bring in your console and choose between different upgrade sizes for a set fee, since this box isn't user upgradable without voiding warranty.

That could be useful, however the Xbox One supports USB 3 external drives. So you can just purchase one of those for a lot cheaper than that would probably cost and get a lot more storage. Also, the games stored on that external drive can be played on other Xbox Ones when you "authorize" your gamertag after plugging in to another Xbox One.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I agree they both look fantastic.

My concern with the white one is that big ol white box next to my black tv on my black entertainment stand next to my black PS4 lol

But I will say, it looks awesome like a storm trooper or something (not even a Star Wars fan):)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Rise of the Tomb Raider has really left a sour taste in my mouth for Crystal Dynamics and Microsoft.

Great reboot, the "Definitive Edition" ratio was PS4 to Xbox 7:3 and had a higher resolution on PS4, platform-neutral history, Square Enix complained that "6 million" made the game a failure despite being on 5 or 6 platforms...... and now it's going to be exclusive to the Xbox One. Boggles the mind.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
That is an odd decision indeed.

Loved the Definitive Edition one and looking forward to this one on the PS4 but now that has changed!

Dukeluke

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
I still own 360 and can't see any reason right now to purchase ps4 or One at the current price and the current game selection. As long as they continue to offer the new releases on 360 whats the point. I am still split on what console I am going to get but that being said what ever has the best exclusives some time early next year might win me out. Xbox just announced exclusive rights to the next tomb raider. Although the last of us was one of my fav games lately so if a new one came out...

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am actually looking forward to Sunset Overdrive.

It looks fun as hell and very different which is fresh in todays FPS dominated love affair.

Very tempted for the white bundle with it but the XB1 is huge. I can imagine it in white.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am actually looking forward to Sunset Overdrive.

It looks fun as hell and very different which is fresh in todays FPS dominated love affair.

Very tempted for the white bundle with it but the XB1 is huge. I can imagine it in white.

The white is pretty hot - I just wish the LED was either orange or green - white touch button on white console a bit weird

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
people **** on the Wii U but the PS4 and Xbox 1 have NO GAMES !!!! Just slightly higher res versions of PS3 games. I sold my PS3 4 months before the new systems came out and have to say I am super disappointed. Especially hate the exclusive stuff or paying for extra content that use to be free.

Even for 400 the xbox 1 is too expensive same with the PS4. They need to have more then 3 good games. To drop that much money on one.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
people **** on the Wii U but the PS4 and Xbox 1 have NO GAMES !!!! Just slightly higher res versions of PS3 games. I sold my PS3 4 months before the new systems came out and have to say I am super disappointed. Especially hate the exclusive stuff or paying for extra content that use to be free.

Even for 400 the xbox 1 is too expensive same with the PS4. They need to have more then 3 good games. To drop that much money on one.

Yea I paid $320 for my PS4 and XB1 - on sale - you really are making the investment early to enjoy the console for the entire generation if you figure that prices won't drop for another year or 2 then you had a year or 2 of value that you pay extra for

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea I paid $320 for my PS4 and XB1 - on sale - you really are making the investment early to enjoy the console for the entire generation if you figure that prices won't drop for another year or 2 then you had a year or 2 of value that you pay extra for

That was my reasoning too. Unless something went wrong with a console you won't see a price cut for years. For a system that at the very least will last 7 years, more if you don't get rid of older systems, it's a good thing to buy. Value wise consoles are great (even if controllers are £50-60 :rolleyes:).

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I think all 3 systems are great for different reasons and for different consumers.

I love the Wii U aspect due to the amazing Nintendo games that they have where you cannot play anywhere else. For me there will always be a place in enjoying those types of games that Nintenod puts out with their strong character lineup.

For XB1, I really love the things the system can do with snap and I like the exclusive lineup coming soon and think their potential is very large for whats to come.

For Sony they hit the ground running with the more powerful option and love PS+ and their free game lineup normally being far better than Games with Gold.

Each option has its strengths and weaknesses and as a big gamer, I want to own them all for different reasons! :)

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Rise of the Tomb Raider has really left a sour taste in my mouth for Crystal Dynamics and Microsoft.

Great reboot, the "Definitive Edition" ratio was PS4 to Xbox 7:3 and had a higher resolution on PS4, platform-neutral history, Square Enix complained that "6 million" made the game a failure despite being on 5 or 6 platforms...... and now it's going to be exclusive to the Xbox One. Boggles the mind.

As a PS4 owner I was quite disappointed too.

But I do understand why Microsoft pursued this. Console exclusives will be one of the main ways they can actively compete against Sony. As it currently stands, it's a given that the PS4 will have the better performing multi-platforms thanks to it's more powerful hardware.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah I'm bowing out of picking one up though. I am prone to buying a bunch of games and never playing them, so going to just stick with my Wii U and 3DS XL, and work on the games I have for those already.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm not going to lie, kind of bummed that Microsoft didn't make a Master Chief Collection bundle.

Still, I guess that Sunset Overdrive one looks decent enough :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.