Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last night in a hurry, I took a shower and forgot to apply my underarm antiperspirant. This morning I woke up to pew! The world... correction, my world would be a much smellier place if not for Arm & Hammer Ultra Max! :p

0003320019744_500X500.jpg

At work I flew with a guy who did not wear antiperspirant and by Noon... Pew! It's very apparent to me. :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Yep, some people require it and some do not. I wear a deodorant only. I am one of the fortunate ones that does not require an antiperspirant. I do know where you are coming from though.

Worked with a gentleman that could have had a shower and one hour later smelled so bad that I could not go within 10 feet of him it was that bad. Almost smelt like rotting food. I felt bad for him. I certainly would not want to have to deal with that kind of problem.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I also only need a deodorant.

Currently using:
gear.png

But my typical choice is:
41BqrCGpuUL._SY300_.jpg

I've been using that since college probably. I don't use any of their other products, but I like their deodorant. In general, I like the gel-based ones with a fresh smelling scent.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I have an annoying condition where I sweat through even the strongest antiperspirant! Least it stops me smelling though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
There's a nasty cycle associated with using antiperspirant on a regular basis.

The sludge that is inevitable (no readily available antiperspirant stops sweating 100%) will stain your shirt. Over time, this becomes a yellow stain that's visible.

The catch is that this stain, besides being unsightly, is irritating and causes people to - wait for it - sweat more.

AFAIK, there's no way to truly get rid of the stain, it's there permanently, so after some time the shirt is essentially ruined and the wearer is wondering why they're still sweating after applying antiperspirant.

T-shirts can be effective to a point, but consider using deodorants when you can and only use antiperspirants when truly needed. Your shirts and your pits will thank you!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Interesting in that antiperspirant is designed to prevent sweating, not just hide the oder. I assume you've tried a clinical strength antiperspirant? (Are "clinical strength" antiperspirants really any stronger?)

Regarding Alzheimer's and antiperspirant deodorant (aluminum) this article claims that research disputes that claim.

Ive had some really strong stuff prescribed from the dr. and even that didn't work. It is very strange because I thought antiperspirant physically blocked the pores so how I sweat through it I don't know!

Least its only underarms for me, some people have it all over their body or on their hands which must be awful.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's a nasty cycle associated with using antiperspirant on a regular basis.

The sludge that is inevitable (no readily available antiperspirant stops sweating 100%) will stain your shirt. Over time, this becomes a yellow stain that's visible.

The catch is that this stain, besides being unsightly, is irritating and causes people to - wait for it - sweat more.

AFAIK, there's no way to truly get rid of the stain, it's there permanently, so after some time the shirt is essentially ruined and the wearer is wondering why they're still sweating after applying antiperspirant.

T-shirts can be effective to a point, but consider using deodorants when you can and only use antiperspirants when truly needed. Your shirts and your pits will thank you!

I wear white t-shirts, and yes as they get old, the underarm area gets somewhat yellow. I have never ruined a shirt using antiperspirant and have not worried about it. The alternative of not wearing any is much worse imo.

Ive had some really strong stuff prescribed from the dr. and even that didn't work. It is very strange because I thought antiperspirant physically blocked the pores so how I sweat through it I don't know!

Least its only underarms for me, some people have it all over their body or on their hands which must be awful.

Do you bathe and put it on at night before you go to bed? An article I read said the most effective use of antiperspirant is at that time, because due to inactivity, it allows the pours to be plugged up for the next day's activity. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I use Arm & Hammer Essentials. Its basically just a deordorant, but thats fine by me.

Not meant as an argument, but deodorant covers up the stink, while antiperspirant prevents the stink. :D My guess that any debate would center on the negative health effects of antiperspirant not that that was my intent for starting this thread.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've been using this for the past year.

wolf_APD_evenbetter_sticker.jpg

Before that I was using these two.

gilette-power-beads-clear-gel-deoderant-cool-wave-3.0oz-1_1.jpg

and

main.php

Shirts do stain after a while, so I tend to wear white shirts underneath all my clothing.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This has been working fine for me. And comes 2 for 1 where I get them.

0004740009819_500X500.jpg

Sometimes I go with this, when is colder and I'm not physically doing much. It works, but not nearly as good or long as most antiperspirants.

41i8yjP5GcL._SY300_.jpg

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I wear white t-shirts, and yes as they get old, the underarm area gets somewhat yellow. I have never ruined a shirt using antiperspirant and have not worried about it. The alternative of not wearing any is much worse imo.

I ruined many shirts with aluminum based antiperspirants. They rather quickly developed an orange stain which could not be removed. No, it wasn't my sweat.

I moved to Tom's of Maine Unscented deodorant years ago and haven't had a single problem since.

Attachments

• toms-unscented-stick-deoderant.jpg
    toms-unscented-stick-deoderant.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 210

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I would highly recommend microfiber underwear t-shirts to anyone who, due to lifestyle, biology, or climate sweats a lot.

Ordinary t-shirts are fine most of the time. But if you perspire a lot, they very quickly turn into clammy, sopping rags. A good microfiber shirt, however, "wicks" the excess perspiration away from your skin - but still allows it to evaporate, which is the process that cools the body down.

Microfibre shirts are also much better at resisting both stink and stain than their cotton cousins. They do require slightly different laundering - generally warm water and air drying. But a microfiber t-shirt hung on a clothes hanger will dry completely overnight. (I take them with me when traveling for this very reason.)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I haven't used a non-antiperspirant deodorant since I ran out of my own stuff and borrowed a classmate's Right Guard spray back in 8th grade. I use this stuff now.

Pure-Sport-Aerosol-Spray-b.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.