Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipad2016

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Yes, I have used the iPad mini Sprint model (1st generation) on AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile. LTE works just fine as well with the 2 carriers

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
From all I've read, all iPads are unlocked.
The advice here at MacRumors, is to buy the Verizon model because you would not be carrier hamstrung in any way.

This isn't necessarily true. Since all the iPads come GSM unlocked, you would be CDMA "locked" to either Sprint or Verizon if you decide to get either of those iPads. So it all comes down to whether the OP might switch to Sprint or Verizon in the future. If the OP is looking for higher resale value, Verizon would probably be the way to go.

So basically:
Sprint iPad -> Sprint + all GSM networks
Verizon iPad -> Verizon + all GSM networks

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I'm actually looking to by one an noticed them on eBay

I assumed you were buying on eBay. A Sprint iPad mini will work on AT&T. If you eventually plan on selling the device, a Verizon iPad would probably be better since it has a slightly higher resale value.

MotherFinMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
San Diego California
Sprint iPad Mini on AT&T?

I assumed you were buying on eBay. A Sprint iPad mini will work on AT&T. If you eventually plan on selling the device, a Verizon iPad would probably be better since it has a slightly higher resale value.

I was just curious if It work if purchased for another network an get LTE

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I was just curious if It work if purchased for another network an get LTE

All the retina iPad minis will get LTE on any GSM network (at least in the U.S.) since all the current iPad models have the same cellular radio. It's a different story for the 1st gen iPad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.