Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Anyone gotten a 4K monitor not on the list to work with a new Mac Pro?

I have the 24" Dell 4K that works fine at 60hz on DP.

I also have the 28" Dell 4K which does not. When I turn on DP 1.2 on the monitor it goes black. If I use HDMI it works fine at 30hz, or DP1.1 on the monitor it works at 30hz.

Considering both monitors work the same as far as DST I'm thinking its a monitor definition issue. It does funny things as far as resolution and scaling.

I've heard of various work arounds but anything solid to get these to work?

I called Apple and surprisingly their answer was that I had 14 days to return it. I'm sure its going to work one day but I won't risk 3K on maybe.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Anyone gotten a 4K monitor not on the list to work with a new Mac Pro?

I have the 24" Dell 4K that works fine at 60hz on DP.

I also have the 28" Dell 4K which does not. When I turn on DP 1.2 on the monitor it goes black. If I use HDMI it works fine at 30hz, or DP1.1 on the monitor it works at 30hz.

Considering both monitors work the same as far as DST I'm thinking its a monitor definition issue. It does funny things as far as resolution and scaling.

I've heard of various work arounds but anything solid to get these to work?

I called Apple and surprisingly their answer was that I had 14 days to return it. I'm sure its going to work one day but I won't risk 3K on maybe.

Thanks for sharing. Although I'm usually an early adopter, I'm sitting this whole MST issue out. I'll only get in on 4K once there are SST options that suit me.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for sharing. Although I'm usually an early adopter, I'm sitting this whole MST issue out. I'll only get in on 4K once there are SST options that suit me.

The frustrating part about this is its Apple's obstinance doing this. Works no problems in Windows.

The choice is to drop another 3K on a monitor on the list. The 24" is fine for photo proofing which is what I use it for but I wanted a matching unit as the main/secondary monitor for other work.

The 28" 4K is not the best monitor but the hi resolution makes everything very easy on the eyes for long days in front of the computer.

zesta

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
The frustrating part about this is its Apple's obstinance doing this. Works no problems in Windows.

The choice is to drop another 3K on a monitor on the list. The 24" is fine for photo proofing which is what I use it for but I wanted a matching unit as the main/secondary monitor for other work.

The 28" 4K is not the best monitor but the hi resolution makes everything very easy on the eyes for long days in front of the computer.

The Dell 28" does not support 60Hz over DP at all. Nothing Apple can do about that. There is no way it is working at 60Hz in windows. It isn't possible. Dell's specs say only 30Hz.

Not sure why you would expect a monitor that is larger than the 24" but half the price would perform the same.

Why not get another 24"? I have one, and it is great. I would love to have a second.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
The Dell 28" does not support 60Hz over DP at all. Nothing Apple can do about that. There is no way it is working at 60Hz in windows. It isn't possible. Dell's specs say only 30Hz.

Not sure why you would expect a monitor that is larger than the 24" but half the price would perform the same.

Why not get another 24"? I have one, and it is great. I would love to have a second.

Thanks, you are correct, and I was mistaken.

Honestly I never checked because a group of 28" 4K monitors came out from Dell, Samsung, and Lenovo. The Dell is the only one not to support 60hz even though they are all priced the same.

I was surprised to read that, none of the reviews really touched on it.

Only reason I bought the Dell over the Samsung/Lenovo was I wanted them to match.

I'll ship it back and give the Lenovo a try.

As far as the size. The 24 I bought for color quality and correctness. The Mac Pro is for a hobby, not work. The rest of the time I'm working and need the screen size.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks, you are correct, and I was mistaken.

Honestly I never checked because a group of 28" 4K monitors came out from Dell, Samsung, and Lenovo. The Dell is the only one not to support 60hz even though they are all priced the same.

I was surprised to read that, none of the reviews really touched on it.

Only reason I bought the Dell over the Samsung/Lenovo was I wanted them to match.

I'll ship it back and give the Lenovo a try.

As far as the size. The 24 I bought for color quality and correctness. The Mac Pro is for a hobby, not work. The rest of the time I'm working and need the screen size.

I predict you're going to be disappointed. As far as I can tell, pretty much all 28" 4K panels except the Samsung come from the same vendor, and it feels like there are too many compromises being made right now to push them out this early. Most don't have SST, none have HDMI 2.0, none of 28" panels are IPS, and a few are plagued with some issues.

I would wait another year to see what is offered. 4K at this point is a luxury most people don't need right now.

jayrammac

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Lenovo 2840m Pro 4k

I have bought and connected the Lenovo 4k (UHD) screen for use with my 2013 (late) rMBP.

All is working well @60hz

Initially I used an HDMI cable to connect the screen and that would only run at 30hz and I did very much notice the choppiness of the cursor movements and scrolling.

I then bought a thunderbolt cable to connect to the mDP input on the monitor but that did not work. I did not realise but a thunderbolt cable WILL NOT WORK as a mDP cable (At least not with this monitor). As soon as I bought the mDP cable and connected via the thunderbolt port on the macbook and the mDP connection on the monitor everything was fine.

I have the display set to 2560 by 1440 scaling - the images and the text especially on screen look fantastic (but not as good as 1920 by 1080 which would be true 2 to 1 scaling). I prefer the extra screen space though and the difference in ''crispness" is not that great.

Overall I am very very pleased. The build quality of the screen is great - in fact with the edge to edge glass the monitor actually looks a lot like an apple thunderbolt display.

Two gripes - but not major:

The speakers on the monitor have a noticeable 'hum' to them. Not a major issue as this goes away when the volume is turned all the way down (via the monitor controls). I don't use the speakers anyway - I use external ones which are fine.

The built in USB works but when the mac sleeps I get lots of messages about not ejecting the disks properly - the USB hub connects by a single cable to the mac and then all 3 ports (2* usb 3.0 and one always on power usb 2.0) are available to hard drives / whatever else.

This only cost me £474 and I near as damn it have a retina desktop!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have bought and connected the Lenovo 4k (UHD) screen for use with my 2013 (late) rMBP.

All is working well @60hz

Initially I used an HDMI cable to connect the screen and that would only run at 30hz and I did very much notice the choppiness of the cursor movements and scrolling.

I then bought a thunderbolt cable to connect to the mDP input on the monitor but that did not work. I did not realise but a thunderbolt cable WILL NOT WORK as a mDP cable (At least not with this monitor). As soon as I bought the mDP cable and connected via the thunderbolt port on the macbook and the mDP connection on the monitor everything was fine.

I have the display set to 2560 by 1440 scaling - the images and the text especially on screen look fantastic (but not as good as 1920 by 1080 which would be true 2 to 1 scaling). I prefer the extra screen space though and the difference in ''crispness" is not that great.

Overall I am very very pleased. The build quality of the screen is great - in fact with the edge to edge glass the monitor actually looks a lot like an apple thunderbolt display.

Two gripes - but not major:

The speakers on the monitor have a noticeable 'hum' to them. Not a major issue as this goes away when the volume is turned all the way down (via the monitor controls). I don't use the speakers anyway - I use external ones which are fine.

The built in USB works but when the mac sleeps I get lots of messages about not ejecting the disks properly - the USB hub connects by a single cable to the mac and then all 3 ports (2* usb 3.0 and one always on power usb 2.0) are available to hard drives / whatever else.

This only cost me £474 and I near as damn it have a retina desktop!

Thanks, the good news about this panel is that it's SST (not MST)... and I believe the same panel used in the Samsung, and other 28" 4K products. However, the potential down side is that it's a TN panel which may have colour reproduction problems off-axis.

What's your observation... is there any shift in colour between looking at the top and bottom of the display... what about when you're sitting slightly to the side with your feet up on the desk for example?

jayrammac

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Thanks, the good news about this panel is that it's SST (not MST)... and I believe the same panel used in the Samsung, and other 28" 4K products. However, the potential down side is that it's a TN panel which may have colour reproduction problems off-axis.

What's your observation... is there any shift in colour between looking at the top and bottom of the display... what about when you're sitting slightly to the side with your feet up on the desk for example?

It's a TN panel but I have to tell you the viewing angles are really very good (side to side) - to the point where i can be looking virtually side on and still read text.

Vertically it is not as good though still not bad.

Colour shift is barely noticeable to me. I am sure that some more professional application users might notice something but for me the panel is really strong and a real bargain at sub £500.

Have just noticed that I have posted this on the MPro 4k thread - I have a MBP... so my experience relates to that. I don't know how it hooks up to an MPro

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It's a TN panel but I have to tell you the viewing angles are really very good (side to side) - to the point where i can be looking virtually side on and still read text.

Vertically it is not as good though still not bad.

Colour shift is barely noticeable to me. I am sure that some more professional application users might notice something but for me the panel is really strong and a real bargain at sub £500.

Have just noticed that I have posted this on the MPro 4k thread - I have a MBP... so my experience relates to that. I don't know how it hooks up to an MPro

Thanks... connecting to the nMP is the same... a display port cable via one of the TB ports on the Mac Pro so your info is very relevant here. :)

jayrammac

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Here is an image of an almost side on view of the screen...pretty much 180 degrees.... (image attached)

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.