Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
My white MacBook only has 402 cycles and says "Replace soon". It also says that there is only a 2000 mAh capacity when the battery is actually 5000. I know this is common for batteries but I have never seen a Mac battery have this happen at 400 charges. Furthermore, the battery will not last over an hour. http://i.imgur.com/lZ5IHUa.png

Edit: Would brand should I get? The Apple one is about $130.

Last edited:

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
So, time for a battery.

Sorry, I pasted the wrong title. I was wondering what brand I should be looking at getting. The Apple ones are about $130 and I don't really want to spend that much.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
For the MacBook 7,1 units I refurb, I get Tera Power batteries from Amazon for around $55, including the needed screwdrivers.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I had an Early 2008 MacBook (4,1 like yours) and I opted for one from OWC. It's a NuPower brand battery, but it's sold through OWC.

It runs $89 here. So less than Apple's but not by a ton. It lasts somewhere in the ballpark of 4 hours of real world use (WiFi on, Chrome tabs, medium brightness).

Another cheaper alternative is an Anker battery from Amazon.

I'd stay away from the $20 generic ones. They work, but don't last and fail quickly. Been that route before.

The OWC ones also come in black, and that was my main reason for going with them, as I had the Black MacBook and most third party batteries were glossy instead of matte like the MacBook. I've also used them for my Late 2008 model and had good results after one replacement.

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
I had an Early 2008 MacBook (4,1 like yours) and I opted for one from OWC. It's a NuPower brand battery, but it's sold through OWC.

It runs $89 here. So less than Apple's but not by a ton. It lasts somewhere in the ballpark of 4 hours of real world use (WiFi on, Chrome tabs, medium brightness).

Another cheaper alternative is an Anker battery from Amazon.

I'd stay away from the $20 generic ones. They work, but don't last and fail quickly. Been that route before.

The OWC ones also come in black, and that was my main reason for going with them, as I had the Black MacBook and most third party batteries were glossy instead of matte like the MacBook. I've also used them for my Late 2008 model and had good results after one replacement.

I was looking at the anker ones. I need to make a decision fast because now my battery isn't holding a charge at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.