Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1nfinity0nhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
So I wanted to install Windows 8.1 on my rMBP (2013). So far my SSD is partitioned as follows:

0 EFI partition (can't delete or OSX won't boot)
1 OSX installation (HFS+)
2 DATA partition (exFAT)
3 unallocated space

4 like ~50GB reserved for some linux distribution that i'll install later
5 OSX Recovery Partition (I manually copied the default-hidden OSX recovery partition using the Dist Utility debug menu option show-all-partitions to the last 1GB of my SSD)

I would ideally like to install Windows 8.1 on Partition-3 (unallocated space), however whenever I boot into the Windows 8.1 USB it says something along the lines of "Windows can not install to this drive because it's GPT style" (and not MBR). In fact it won't let me install onto any of the partitions because it says all of them are GPT. I know Windows uses MBR and can't recognize more than 4 partitions, and that OSX uses the newer GPT style, which can recognize up to 128 partitions on a drive.

How can I install Windows 8.1, alongside OSX and an exFAT formatted Data partition (so that OSX and Windows 8.1 can both read/write to/from my data)?

Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.