Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
AGKyle,

I know you have to buy the app twice if using iOS and OS X but if I buy it for my iPhone can I download it on my iPad as well since it is an iOS device or would I have to buy that separate as well? I have all Apple devices at home and if I make the jump to 1Password I want to minimize the number of times I would have to buy it.

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Thanks!!

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
AGKyle,

I know you have to buy the app twice if using iOS and OS X but if I buy it for my iPhone can I download it on my iPad as well since it is an iOS device or would I have to buy that separate as well? I have all Apple devices at home and if I make the jump to 1Password I want to minimize the number of times I would have to buy it.

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Thanks!!

The app is universal, so if you buy on iPhone you get the iPad app as well since it's technically the same application.

The only catch is that, as with all App Store applications, they are tied to AppleID, so if you use separate AppleIDs for each device (perhaps separate people use them, as that is the most common reason for it) then you will need to purchase for each. Or wait for the Family Sharing feature to become available with iOS 8.

Hope that helps!

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Finally decided to give it a go.
So far so good.
Got it for $39 (with a coupon I found on the net) for multi-platform version which makes me very happy :)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With 1Password on sale, I decided to take the plunge as a new user. Set up was very easy and inputting all of my information was straight-forward. I experimented on a few websites and it works very well. iCloud sync was flawless across my devices, unlike OneSafe had been.

While the price of the software was more than I normally pay, I am very impressed thus far and looking forward to the iOS 8 upgrade. I am also impressed with how Kyle has been active on the forum and answering customer questions. Vendor accessibility played a role in shelling out $45.00 for the Mac and iOS versions.

I would like to see a Tri-Pin feature option for the master password. It would make for quicker login and would also help prevent people from trying to guess or remember your password when they are next to you etc.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
If iCloud Keychain didn't already do credit cards and web passwords across my Apple gear, I'd be all over this. I'd also be interested if I used more apps that required a login.

I guess I just don't need the functionality. I would like my passwords and CCs synced to my Boot Camp partition too, but it's an expensive solution compared to, say, just using Chrome for my humble PC sync needs.

There's a lot more to 1Password than storing passwords and credit cards, it does bank accounts, wifi routers, email connection(server, username, port, etc ).

It has organization tools such as filtering by type, folder, tags and more.
it has smart folders that dynamically update themselves.
It has favorites for easy access to often used logins
it sync across mac, iOS, and windows devices. they are working on adding a Web interface to access passwords.
It analyzes your passwords, reporting weak passwords, duplicate passwords, old passwords, unused passwords, etc.

And more. I recently switched to it from Roboform, and thanks to it's analysis and organizational tools, I was able to delete 500 unused passwords and I'm in the process of removing duplicates and weak passwords. It really helped me clean things up!

I think it took about 5minutes after I loaded the trial version on my Mac before I bought it for my Mac, Windows, and iDevices..it impressed me that much.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I just don't trust these utilities. I keep all my passwords in my mind and in an encrypted document, within an encrypted disk image, on my encrypted hard drive.

I too do something similar, except I've recently incorporated quantum key distribution in my brain-computer interface. Can't be too careful /tinfoil hat on

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Been using it for about a month now on ios/mac and windows. I am very satisfied with how it works and for the most part has been painless.

Definitely worth the money.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Just used 1Password on my iPad directly in Safari.
Wow. The value of the app just jumped 10 fold to me.
Awesome stuff.
I am loving ios8 now.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Just used 1Password on my iPad directly in Safari.
Wow. The value of the app just jumped 10 fold to me.
Awesome stuff.
I am loving ios8 now.

Pretty amazing huh? :)

We've been using it for a couple months now on test devices and iOS 8 betas and we're all thinking "holy crap, this is so hard not to show users" ... fortunately, a few users who didn't read the beta tester requirements that well posted a couple of videos so we had to talk about it a bit more.

Enjoy iOS 8, I'm still trying to get my devices all situated after the crazy app update frenzy today.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
The updated 1Password crashed Safari the 1st few times that I tried to use the extension . Something about a 'cocoa' error. Coincidentally, it worked fine for logging into this site. I'll keep a list of where it crashes and submit it for the developers.

Other than the few Safari crashes on the new version, 1password has really taken my password managment to a whole new level!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Now I have it unlocking with TouchID, another great addition.

This may force me to upgrade my iPad to the "Air2" if it includes TouchID.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
The updated 1Password crashed Safari the 1st few times that I tried to use the extension . Something about a 'cocoa' error. Coincidentally, it worked fine for logging into this site. I'll keep a list of where it crashes and submit it for the developers.

Other than the few Safari crashes on the new version, 1password has really taken my password managment to a whole new level!

Definitely get in touch if you're having trouble. We'd love to get on top of fixing it if we haven't already done so :)

Now we see the master plan from Apple ;) "Hey, if we give third party developers access to TouchID, then ... we add TouchID to the iPad.. they'll want to upgrade to the new iPad!"

Glad you're enjoying the app though!

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Is there any use to just using the iOS app? I feel like I don't really need the OSX app since I always have my phone on me and can look up passwords that way. The only hiccup I *think* there is would be that I don't see a way to backup my device data outside of sending it to iCloud/dropbox. I'd prefer it to generate an encrypted file I can email to myself like SplashID.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Is there any use to just using the iOS app? I feel like I don't really need the OSX app since I always have my phone on me and can look up passwords that way. The only hiccup I *think* there is would be that I don't see a way to backup my device data outside of sending it to iCloud/dropbox. I'd prefer it to generate an encrypted file I can email to myself like SplashID.

You can use the application solo on iOS if you wish. I personally prefer to have it on the desktop as well because that's what it started as and it has the most power there. The power is certainly slowly coming to iOS as Apple continues to improve iOS, but it's not there yet. In my opinion iOS is not yet ready to be a full desktop replacement. It can be used in some cases but backing up of data, handling that type of thing, it's just not ready yet.

That said, we have a ton of users who use just the iOS application.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
There is no native Linux client, correct? That kills it for me since I run the iPhone 6 and Arch.

Sassers

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012

IKR? My only fear is that using TouchID on both my phone and then my iPad will mean I might forget my master password if I don't type it as often as I currently do! Thank god I would still need to type it on my Mac:p

I've used 1Password for a few years now, and I still love it. It's my most-used app, and well worth even the full price for both the OSX and iOS versions.

One handy feature I love is the ability to note the answers to the security questions that a lot of sites now require for each particular log-in. I can make up any answer I like, and never have to worry about remembering them as long as I think to note them when I create the password. I can also easily note which email address I used for any particular site, along with any other particular information the site requires.

TouchID? Love love love it. Secure notes, CC information, bank details - it's all there.

Their support is top-notch too - very responsive.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
If I decided to stop using 1Password would I need to manually go to all my websites and change the password to something normal again?

I'm confused how 1Password works....

What if I'm at school without the web extension and need to log into my email but it's some crazy 1password thing that I don't know?

Or someone else phone etc...

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
There is no native Linux client, correct? That kills it for me since I run the iPhone 6 and Arch.

Nope, no Linux client. We've gotten a few request for one but it's a tough one to manage right now because traditionally Linux users are often less likely to purchase software. Not to say they won't but as a former Linux user it was quite a thing to pay for software when most of it was free.

That said though, there have been a lot of success stories with the Windows version running under WINE. You can try with the demo which works for 30 days if you want.

IKR? My only fear is that using TouchID on both my phone and then my iPad will mean I might forget my master password if I don't type it as often as I currently do! Thank god I would still need to type it on my Mac:p

I've used 1Password for a few years now, and I still love it. It's my most-used app, and well worth even the full price for both the OSX and iOS versions.

One handy feature I love is the ability to note the answers to the security questions that a lot of sites now require for each particular log-in. I can make up any answer I like, and never have to worry about remembering them as long as I think to note them when I create the password. I can also easily note which email address I used for any particular site, along with any other particular information the site requires.

TouchID? Love love love it. Secure notes, CC information, bank details - it's all there.

Their support is top-notch too - very responsive.

:cool:

If I decided to stop using 1Password would I need to manually go to all my websites and change the password to something normal again?

I'm confused how 1Password works....

What if I'm at school without the web extension and need to log into my email but it's some crazy 1password thing that I don't know?

Or someone else phone etc...

1Password helps save the password you're using for a site. The site still has the complicated and random password (should you choose to do that, and we do recommend that) so if you were to stop using 1Password you would have to go back and change your password manually for each site if you wanted to do that.

Think of 1Password as a database with a lot of other functionality that stores your username and password for a website. You still have to go change the password on the site, we can't do that for you since every site does this very differently behind the scenes. We can generate the password, and most of the time fill it into the page for you but that's about as automated as we can get.

Let me know if that helps answer your questions, and if you have others let me know. You're free to private message me if you wish.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
Um.... what do you think your 1Password vault is.... it's encrypted. Why keep all your passwords in your mind, when you can keep one really secure password in your mind, and not have to worry about anyone hacking your encrypted 1Password vault for 99 quintillion years???

1Password is more secure than anyone remembering a few lousy passwords that could be cracked in seconds anyway.

So I don't get it, I have one password I use now for all my sites. And 1password also uses one secure password? What am I missing here? Anyone who knows my main password is in?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So I don't get it, I have one password I use now for all my sites. And 1password also uses one secure password? What am I missing here? Anyone who knows my main password is in?

If you use the same password for everything, than 1Password (or any password manager) isn't going to help you at all. However, your practice of using the same password for everything is absolutely a bad practice. Good practice is to use a different password for every login, and 1Password is a database that keeps those straight for you. You don't have to memorize them because 1Password will. All you need is one very very secure master password for the database.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
If you use the same password for everything, than 1Password (or any password manager) isn't going to help you at all. However, your practice of using the same password for everything is absolutely a bad practice. Good practice is to use a different password for every login, and 1Password is a database that keeps those straight for you. You don't have to memorize them because 1Password will. All you need is one very very secure master password for the database.

I think he's saying if someone guess the password you use for 1Password they'd have access to all of your passwords.

For that to happen they'd need access to your device and I would imagine there's a way to "destroy" all data if there are a certain number of failed attempts (haven't verified that though).

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
I think he's saying if someone guess the password you use for 1Password they'd have access to all of your passwords.

For that to happen they'd need access to your device and I would imagine there's a way to "destroy" all data if there are a certain number of failed attempts (haven't verified that though).

Exactly,doesnt sound too secure to me, you guess the single password, that can gets you into every single site/account you have.

How is that different over what I'm doing now? Serious question...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.