Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will likely not be shipping a new Lighting cable or redesigned USB power adapter alongside the iPhone 6, according to a new report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo (via AppleInsider). Kuo notes that he doesn't expect either accessory to receive design changes when shipped alongside the iPhone 6, noting that "cost concerns" and "limited improvements to overall user experience" are preventing Apple from making such moves.

moca_cable_adapter_apple.jpeg
Moca.co's prototype USB adapter and Lightning cable based on Apple's designs​
The report follows recent leaks of a revamped Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector as well as a revamped power adapter. The new USB adapter is said to be capable of powering all iPhone, iPod and iPad mini models with support for up to 2A of current, twice that of the current adapter shipping with the iPhone.

Last month, third-party vendor Moca.co stated that Apple has yet to move forward with manufacturing orders with the new cable, likely indicating that it will not ship with iPhone 6. However, the company also stated that the redesigned power adapters are in mass production, and could in fact ship with Apple's new handset.

Apple will unveil the iPhone 6 for the first time next Tuesday, September 9, as any new accessories will likely be announced alongside the device.

Article Link: Apple Not Expected to Ship Reversible USB-Lightning Cable or New Adapter Alongside iPhone 6

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Apple Not Expected to Ship Reversible USB-Lightning Cable or New Adapter Alon...

the iWatch's wireless charger* No way would I want any ports on my iWatch. What kind of device of the future relies on cables? :eek:

Actually I was joking,but I hope you're right....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
God I'm sick of rumor sites treating Ming-Chi Kuo as some god. There's no evidence he has inside information, just throwing stuff at the wall and some of it sticks.

----------

All these rumors and now its now delayed?

Since when does Ming-Chi Kuo let me throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks = fact? Basically what we have is, a previous rumor which may or may not have been true, may not be true.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Cost concerns? Does this person realize that this adapter is used elsewhere in the world already. Can't imagine a big cost to sticking a different interchangeable plug section in the box.

MehkBehk

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
"Let's produce all these new cables and chargers! We won't release them though."

KGI is a joke.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Apple will likely not be shipping a new Lighting cable or redesigned USB power adapter alongside the iPhone 6, according to a new report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo (via AppleInsider).

when will it end? will likely not means we haven't a ****ing clue. So why not post a happy new story instead? maybe investigate some of apples happy staff and write something about that just for a change?

Kuo notes that he doesn't expect either accessory to receive design changes when shipped alongside the iPhone 6, noting that"cost concerns" and"limited improvements to overall user experience" are preventing Apple from making such moves.

cost concerns my ass! its simple business. Apple...we have all this stock of usb cables and chargers we need to get rid of before we make and ship the new one. If we don't get rid of them first we will be irresponsible and end up wasting and dumping some. Lets do the right thing... our customers will thank us for it... I'm sure.

Ming chu is an ass. There I said it.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Okay, that's it! Now I'm not buying the iPhone 6!!!
Total deal breaker guys, like y'all don't know.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

/s

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
A) This isn't a new charger design, it already used in Australia.
B) The cable already has a USB symbol printed on it so you know the correct way.

How are these two minor tidbits warranting so many stories?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Don't worry guys. This site is known to flip flop it's story more than once so there's still hope.

Which sounds better; Macrumors.com or Macflipflop.com? Maybe this site should stick with one rumor and leave it alone until it's officially confirmed or not true. I would have greater respect for these authors than seeing the story flip so many times.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Okay, that's it! Now I'm not buying the iPhone 6!!!
Total deal breaker guys, like y'all don't know.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

/s

Well, they do need a differentiating feature to help push the iPhone 6s when it comes. I guess this cable will be it!

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
It's possible that the new adapter is only for the 5.5" iPhone 6 or the new iPad mini.

ERNERTM

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
TURKEY
I think that kind of USB cable will not appear in this year. Because the new USB standart is already coming next year.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
I think that kind of USB cable will not appear in this year. Because the new USB standart is already coming next year.

But if there's anything the rollout of USB 3 told us, it's that Type C will not be prevalent until 2018 at this point and EVEN THEN it won't be the only USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.