Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Donated again today. They had to take my BP 3 times. First time or 2 was 102/something, 3rd was 110/60. Normally have my BP done on my left arm, the first 2 tries were on the right, offered up the left to see if it was any better. Still took very little time to complete the donation, there was a girl who was half done when I was getting hooked up and we were done around the same time.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Persistence paid off for you, hallux. It would be a shame to be disqualified just because your blood pressure was a little bit off the mark, or due to a faulty blood pressure cuff.

I've learned not to run up the stairs at the donor center right before having my vitals checked!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like this FAQ item from the Philippine Red Cross:

21. What can you do if you aren't eligible to donate?

While a given individual may be unable to donate, he or she may be able to recruit a suitable donor. PRC Blood Banks are always in need of volunteers to assist during blood donations, or to organize mobile blood drives. In addition, monetary donations through the Blood Samaritan Project of the Red Cross are always welcome, to help ensure that blood banks can continue providing safe blood to those in need, most especially to indigent patients.​
In other words, being a donor yourself is not the only way to help people in need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.