Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Hello, I am new to jailbreaking... and I would like to jailbreak my ipod touch 5th generation running ios 7.1.2 using (the only tool available to jailbreak ios 7.1) the pangu jailbreak tool.

However I would like some advice before I jailbreak... I also have some questions that I think I need to know before I jailbreak. I hope that the answers to these questions and this advice can help other jailbreak newbies. ;)

So if you have any suggestions/advice (Or stuff I should do to prepare my device before I jailbreak) then don't hesitate to reply. Any help is appreciated. :)

Here are my questions:

1. I have been reading that pangu installs a pirate application store onto the device that it is jailbreaking... If I am not mistaken it is called PPSync. However I do not want this installed onto my device so... How do I prevent this from installing, or how do I remove PPSync if it installs it? :confused:

2. Is pangu more likely or less likely to 'brick' my device than other jailbreaking tools (Such as evasion7 jailbreak for ios 7.0.4?) So is pangu less stable than other jailbreaking programs that have been used to jailbreak older versions of ios?

3. If my device gets stuck in a boot loop/freezes how can I restore my backup I made before jailbreaking? And how often will devices actually freeze? Is this something I should worry about? How can I prevent it?

4. I have read that devices get stuck in a boot loop if they update ios via an OTA uodate (Over the air update.) I have updated my device to ios 7.1.2 via OTA update, however I have restored my device to factory default using itunes, so do I have to worry about my device getting stuck in a boot loop?

5. Is it even worth jailbreaking ios 7.1.2? Are there not many supported tweaks/applications on Cydia for 7.1.2?
Or should I just wait for the evaders to make a ios 8 jailbreak?

:apple: Thanks for the help! :) :apple:

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
1. They do not, this stopped with later versions of Pangu.
2.it won't brick your Device if you follow the instructions.
3.backup your ipod before you jail break.
4. You do not need to worry.
5. There are a lot of tweaks compatible with iOS 7.1.

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
1. They do not, this stopped with later versions of Pangu.
2.it won't brick your Device if you follow the instructions.
3.backup your ipod before you jail break.
4. You do not need to worry.
5. There are a lot of tweaks compatible with iOS 7.1.

Thanks for the reply!

I know I need to backup, but how do I use that backup if it is stuck, or if pangu says: "Jailbreak fail"?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
1 go to en.pangu.io, download the english version, it does not have ppsync
2 very stable, just like evas1on
3 normal itunes backups work, freezing/bootloops rarelt hapen, only installing pirated or old apps will do that
4 OTA JB eithers works or not, if you backed up, you can do a DFU restore anytime to get it back to stock
5 definately worth it, Go for it!

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
4 OTA JB eithers works or not, if you backed up, you can do a DFU restore anytime to get it back to stock

Well, what do you mean by: "OTA JB eithers works or not"?

Sometimes it will mess up my device if I updated via OTA?

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
You shouldn't OTA and jail break but you're okay since you've restored it in iTunes.

Yeah, I restored as in: I reset my device and wiped all the data... not as in: I restored a backup.

Thanks!

----------

No offence, but how can I trust a program that used to install a pirate app store (and I read online that they stole another dev team's way to exploit.)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You mean restore my iphone to the backup before I jailbroke? :confused:
To remove the jailbreak you put your phone in DFU mode and then restore the phone. Once it's done restoring, iTunes will ask if you want to restore from a backup. At this point, the JB is gone. You can either restore as new, or restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup.

Backups can still be made to iTunes and to iCloud when jailbroken, just like normal. You can still use iTunes just like normal. You can restore from a backup even (using iTunes) and your jailbreak will remain. But restoring the phone is an entirely different thing and generally needs to be done using DFU mode. That action wipes the phone and removes the jailbreak.

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
To remove the jailbreak you put your phone in DFU mode and then restore the phone. Once it's done restoring, iTunes will ask if you want to restore from a backup. At this point, the JB is gone. You can either restore as new, or restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup.

Backups can still be made to iTunes and to iCloud when jailbroken, just like normal. You can still use iTunes just like normal. You can restore from a backup even (using iTunes) and your jailbreak will remain. But restoring the phone is an entirely different thing and generally needs to be done using DFU mode. That action wipes the phone and removes the jailbreak.

Thank you! :D

I will also put my device in DFU mode if a boot loop occurs (Not very likely.)

Is it safe to jailbreak ios 7.1.2 in you opinion?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you! :D

I will also put my device in DFU mode if a boot loop occurs (Not very likely.)

Is it safe to jailbreak ios 7.1.2 in you opinion?
Absolutely. I just did this (twice) last Thursday with Pangu on 7.1.2. Had my iPhone 5 with 6.1 replaced on Wednesday with a new one on 7.1.2. I did it twice simply because I screwed up the first restore because I was not careful with restoring my tweaks from my jailbreak backup (you can download JB apps to backup your jailbreak tweaks and apps).

Went fine each time though and it's perfectly safe. I will also say that there are several long time users here that have way more knowledge and experience than I do that have jailbroken using Pangu. They say it's safe. These guys are very involved in the actual dev/jailbreak scene itself and if they say it's safe you can believe it.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Well, what do you mean by: "OTA JB eithers works or not"?

Sometimes it will mess up my device if I updated via OTA?

No, it is hit and miss with OTA, for some it works for others it doesn't

It won't boot loop it, it will just fail to install Cydia

The regular backup-restore in iTunes is basically a backup of your personal settings and info like pic, txt, adresses etc.

A DFU restore is a firmware restore with itunes, is different from the regular restore

Safest way is to backup your info in itunes and then a DFU restore to stock 7.1.2

Then JB with Pangu

After that you can restore your personal backup from itunes.

DFU restore about 10 min
Pangu JB about 5 min
Personal backup restore depending on your info and pics etc, but usually around 20 min

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Absolutely. I just did this (twice) last Thursday with Pangu on 7.1.2. Had my iPhone 5 with 6.1 replaced on Wednesday with a new one on 7.1.2. I did it twice simply because I screwed up the first restore because I was not careful with restoring my tweaks from my jailbreak backup (you can download JB apps to backup your jailbreak tweaks and apps).

Went fine each time though and it's perfectly safe. I will also say that there are several long time users here that have way more knowledge and experience than I do that have jailbroken using Pangu. They say it's safe. These guys are very involved in the actual dev/jailbreak scene itself and if they say it's safe you can believe it.

Ok, thanks, I might try it.

----------

No, it is hit and miss with OTA, for some it works for others it doesn't

It won't boot loop it, it will just fail to install Cydia

The regular backup-restore in iTunes is basically a backup of your personal settings and info like pic, txt, adresses etc.

A DFU restore is a firmware restore with itunes, is different from the regular restore

Safest way is to backup your info in itunes and then a DFU restore to stock 7.1.2

Then JB with Pangu

After that you can restore your personal backup from itunes.

DFU restore about 10 min
Pangu JB about 5 min
Personal backup restore depending on your info and pics etc, but usually around 20 min

I did not restore my device through DFU, I just plugged it in my PC and opened Itunes and selected "Restore", thats o.k. right?

----------

Is this everything I need to do before I jailbreak with pangu:

1. Create a backup in itunes
2. (Because I did an OTA update) Restore my device to factory defaults
3. Run pangu as administrator
4. Disable passcode
5. Thats it?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1. Create a backup in itunes
2. (Because I did an OTA update) Restore my device to factory defaults
3. Run pangu as administrator
4. Disable passcode
5. Thats it?
Try it this way…

1. Backup in iTunes
2. Turn off phone (leave connected to computer and iTunes open)
3. Put your iPhone in DFU mode
4. When iTunes recognizes your iPhone, restore it
5. Set up your phone as new (when iTunes is done), if you can skip stuff go ahead, you just want to get to the homescreen
6. Run Pangu.
7. Follow Pangu's instructions (very minimal and very easy)
8. Restore from your backup.
9. Done. Enjoy.

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Try it this way…

1. Backup in iTunes
2. Turn off phone (leave connected to computer and iTunes open)
3. Put your iPhone in DFU mode
4. When iTunes recognizes your iPhone, restore it
5. Set up your phone as new (when iTunes is done), if you can skip stuff go ahead, you just want to get to the homescreen
6. Run Pangu.
7. Follow Pangu's instructions (very minimal and very easy)
8. Restore from your backup.
9. Done. Enjoy.

Ok, thanks, I am just worried that my device will get bricked... Also I am going to still run pangu as administrator (Because it might help?).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok, thanks, I am just worried that my device will get bricked... Also I am going to still run pangu as administrator (Because it might help?).
Sure, you can run as an admin. It won't hurt.

And you don't need to worry about bricking your iPhone. Yes, it's possible, but it's extremely unprobable. You'd actually have to be trying or be highly unfortunate and even then - probably not.

It's not like it was in the early years. You connect your phone, push a big "JAILBREAK" button, follow very simple instructions (change the date), open an app on the phone and that's it.

DFU mode will always let you restore your phone to stock and wipe the jailbreak so it's not like you have no options to recover. Don't worry, it'll be fine! :D

r0b0tbuilder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
So if I follow that method, I think I am good... I think I will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
One (last) question.. Do I close iTunes if it opens during the jailbreak?
Except for the parts where I mention it being open so you can use it for specific things, I wouldn't worry about it. You can probably close it if you want. I don't think it matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.