Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Manchester United need the injured defenders and Carrick back, then they will be fine. Blind in midfield on the defensive side and Rojo is a CB.

GK: De Gea
Def: Rafael, Smalling/Jones/Evans, Rojo, Shaw
Mid:Herrera, Carrick/Blind, Di Maria, Mata
FWD: Rooney, Falcao - if he joins

A tragedy :rolleyes:

RvP needs surgery, Hernandez has gone, who knows where Welbeck will be, and Wilson needs to be eased in plus he has been carrying an injury. Do you pass on Falcao?

Cheers,
OW

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Falcao as a CB :eek: why not?!

Fantasy pundits talk about an upcoming operation for RvP, so if one would play Falcao as a striker instead it could make some sense..now they got everything except that Vidal type o' player. Probably the one they needed the most.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Evans/Jones/Smalling aren't names any decent forward will fear.

Carrick is old but Blind might prove a worthy step-in.

Who has the worse knee. Vidal or Strootman.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So...we're scrambling to try and sign a United reject that hasn't scored in who knows when for the same price as Balotelli and more than Remy

To add insult to injury, it means we're essentially helping United pay part of Falcao's loan costs.

Meanwhile, our Manager is in Italy playing referee and scouting the pope.

83375679-gif.116558

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Kariya,

Names are for tombstones, baby. ;) Smalling/Jones/Evans are fine alongside a.n.other in a four.

Knee; Strootman's?

daneoni,

I'd rather give Arsenal RvP and keep Welbeck. The trouble for Arsenal is the need for an out and out goal scorer.

Cheers,
OW

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The sad thing is Falcao and Di Maria won't show up in the CL this season. Also both might be wasted on United's midfield and defence.

Falcao as a CB :eek: why not?!

Falcao at CB, can't be worse than playing a 3, Lovren, or Kaboul.

:)

Anyway. Welbeck, I'm curious. Fingers crossed he needs just more regular gametime and some confidence. Strootman coming this winter? Gotta be honest: haven't seen him playing much at all - but should be good. Very strong signings by LvG / Utd, wonder how long will it take to match all the loose ends? How long can the individuals outclass middle to bottom half teams of the table to bring the points?

now that you've mentioned Kaboul: hope Kalou has it still in him! :D

----------

oh, and #freeshinji worked at last! Welcome back! :D

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Negredo has gone to Valencia on-loan with potential permanent. City down to 3 forwards.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
daneoni,

I'd rather give Arsenal RvP and keep Welbeck. The trouble for Arsenal is the need for an out and out goal scorer.

Will send Welbeck back to you (9am special delivery) in exchange for Falcao. You can keep RVP too. No extra charge.

On another note, Hull have made some incredible signings. Diame, Hernandez, and Ben Arfa are good additions. Hopefully they succeed.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Blind should provide some stability in CDM. He plays in the mold of a Busquets or Carrick, which is fine by me. He'll provide the defenders more cover than Fletcher has been able to. It seems like Strootman is pretty likely to come in the winter if his knee checks out. Then midfield won't look too shabby at all.

Really hope Rojo can make a positive impact in the back three. Or LvG just goes for a back four instead once Rafael and Shaw are fit.

Falcao. Dang. I dismissed the rumblings on Saturday as rubbish. Just as well with RVP's injury and failure to generally click with Rooney. Perhaps he'll be a better fit. Is Mata now bordering on surplus to requirements?

Godspeed, Danny Welbeck. You Gooners will probably end up being equally enamored and frustrated with the guy as we were. He brings a lot to the table, everything except for instinctual goal-scoring. If he starts up top week in, week out, it will help.

Props to Hull for doing some fantastic business today.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
daneoni and Silencio,

Welbeck seems to have trouble when he has time to think, he also falls over - Bambi. He may click straight away, take time, never reach there - a disappointment when the fans want a player already proven in that position, but maybe Wenger will add the final piece to Welbeck.

Hull City; Diame injury free and Bruce sorting Ben Arfa would be a bonus to the other good business.

Cheers,
OW

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Godspeed, Danny Welbeck. You Gooners will probably end up being equally enamored and frustrated with the guy as we were. He brings a lot to the table, everything except for instinctual goal-scoring. If he starts up top week in, week out, it will help.

Welbeck to Arsenal certainly has got a mixed reaction. He's done ok for England, but not so much for Man U. But is that because he's been played out of position?

Perhaps now all that passing around the box that Arsenal are so good at, might have an end product? Gooner mate of mine has been hoping for a 'fox in the box' type player for years, he'll have to go on waiting IMO ;)

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Fizzoid,

If going by goals, it doesn't look so hot, but if considering stretching play, marking people out of the game...the whole in the positions he played, he did well.

---

Another CB leaves - Keane on loan to Burnley. Not many CBs left, change of system?

Cheers,
OW

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
twietee,

Seems LvG is waiting for Strootman.

Falcao at CB, can't be worse than playing a 3, Lovren, or Kaboul.

Edit - BBC radio just mentioned GBP 16m Welbeck to Arsenal.

Cheers,
OW

So are the Netherlands fans, he was missed at the WC.

He and Daley Blind will make a good fit, plus it'll help that they are used to playing together.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
My SO just told me that Wenger is on the same flight as hers back from Rome. No pics allowed, but signed autographs.

Told her to punch him for daneoni ;)

EDIT: Reading that Falcao wages will be in the region of £350k a week. If thats true then you can understand why Real Madrid, City, and Arsenal pulled out of the deal. Its a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a 1yr loan for a player with a history of injuries.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
What does SO stand for?

Falcao, I couldn't blame anyone - even the big dogs - for not signing him, madness reloaded. That said I'm happy to see him play more often now! :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Welbeck doesn't strike me as a dangerous finisher, but he might serve as an effective replacement for Giroud. And he doesn't cost £350k a week.

Man Utd/Woodward/LvG are really out to spend. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Speaking of spending, Jaffa - thoughts on Hull City AFC's summer recruitment? This must be the most expensive Hull side ever, the club is dreaming bigger. What's Allam playing at?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Speaking of spending, Jaffa - thoughts on Hull City AFC's summer recruitment? This must be the most expensive Hull side ever, the club is dreaming bigger. What's Allam playing at?
Well, we've been buying and loaning folk in with reckless abandon.

On the plus side, there's been some very good recruitment done - an Italian chum who doesn't usually give Englandshire football anything more than a dismissive shrug sent me a string of excited text messages espousing the virtues of Abel Hernández so I'll take that as a good sign. :p

However, the costs we're totalling up are a big concern, we have had our fingers burnt before when things have gone tits up. I also shudder to think what our wage bill will be standing at now.

As for Allam, I'm guessing the amount we've been loaned has increased a fair bit over the last month. We're paying him 5% interest on the sum, let's not forget...

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Schneider! :( Schneider! :confused: Schneider! :eek:
Stuttgart's Ex-ex-coach Schneider new assistant of Löw.
The "Spätzle"-connection is working. I have absolutely no clue, what they had in mind picking him, but I don't know much anyway. So :rolleyes:

Also Schweinsteiger new captain. Well, you can't say he doesn't deserve it!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Jaffa Cake said:
As for Allam, I'm guessing the amount we've been loaned has increased a fair bit over the last month. We're paying him 5% interest on the sum, let's not forget...

True...but, if you finish high enough up the table the extra TV money will be significant. If.

Also Schweinsteiger new captain. Well, you can't say he doesn't deserve it!

There's nowhere to go but down.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Welbeck doesn't strike me as a dangerous finisher, but he might serve as an effective replacement for Giroud. And he doesn't cost £350k a week.

Think he's more a replacement for Sanogoal.

Man Utd/Woodward/LvG are really out to spend. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

United have certainly traded their right to accuse others of buying trophies. Around £240m splashed out within the last two windows.

And now failure is also not an option anymore for them just like the others.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

United have certainly traded their right to accuse others of buying trophies. Around £240m splashed out within the last two windows.

And now failure is also not an option anymore for them just like the others.

Get with the programme, it's all about source of money now. :)

---

Other news; RvP says he doesn't need surgery - so he's just rubbish at the moment.

Cheers,
OW

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.