Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
Long story short, I got a PowerPro G5 and it has a previous user set up as Administrator, but I do not know the password. It logs in without it but I cannot change a thing, so it'd just be easier. How do I go about formatting it back to factory ways? Thank you

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just wondering, do you happen to have another Mac accessible to you?

That could be a first step towards a solution, if you don't have the original DVDs that came with the PowerMac g5...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You should be able to boot the the recovery partition (command-R) and erase the entire hard drive using Disk Utility. Then it should be a simply matter to reinstall Mavericks from your App Store account.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
You should be able to boot the the recovery partition (command-R) and erase the entire hard drive using Disk Utility. Then it should be a simply matter to reinstall Mavericks from your App Store account.

There is no such thing on a power mac G5. Mavericks will not work either.

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
Ok so just logon, go to the Disk Utility under the dock, then command+R ? this G5 doesn't have an airport card so I need that first correct? Then how much would Mavericks be to use on it?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There is no such thing on a power mac G5. Mavericks will not work either.

You're right. That was my mistake. He said "PowerPro G5" which was never the name of a real Mac and I misread the OS as 10.9.3, not the other way around.

The last version of OS X that runs on a Power Mac G5 is Leopard. He will have to find some Leopard install DVDs. I see some for sale on eBay for about $25.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion will be different from others', and will cost you about $25.

First, get ahold of something like a USB/SATA "docking station".

Then, take the SATA drive OUT of the PowerMac g5.

Put it into the dock and connect the dock to the Mini.

You should now be able to re-initialize the drive using Disk Utility.
Be aware that if you want the data ON the drive destroyed, you should use the "secure erase" function in DU. "One Pass" should be all that you need.

You'll now have a "wiped" drive.

Just wondering -- what year of production is the Mac Mini, is it PPC or Intel, and what version of the OS is on it?

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
Hmm I'm pretty sure it's a late 2009 Intel on the Mac mini, and no idea about how to go about what you said to do for the G5 at all

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ Hmm I'm pretty sure it's a late 2009 Intel on the Mac mini, and no idea about how to go about what you said to do for the G5 at all...]]

Well, then, perhaps it's time to start learning....

I believe Apple used SATA hard drives in the PowerMac g5.
You'll have to open the case and take the drive out.
This shouldn't be very hard, I would check "ifixit.com" for an illustrated guide.

Once you have the drive "in-hand", you need a way to connect it to the Mini.

The easiest and fastest way to connect a "bare" drive to a Mac is to use a "USB/SATA docking station".

To see what these are, go to amazon.com and enter "usb sata dock" into the search box.
Many choices will pop up, some as low as $20.

Just plug the drive into the dock and plug the dock into the Mac Mini.

Turn everything on, the drive should spin up.

It may or may not "mount" on the desktop.

Now you can open "Disk Utility" and re-initialize it if you wish.

At that point, it will be time to put a new OS onto the drive....

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
Hello, awesome info I really appreciate it. I will give that a go and see what I get; I got a few possible Admin PWs from the orig owner so I'm going to try that first. In terms of a new OS, what are some recommendations and how would I go about obtaining said version and installing at that point? I appreciate the advise to everone, thank you. Jon

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Some additional thoughts...

I've never tried this myself, but both computers have firewire ports, is this correct?

If so, you might be able to connect the g5 to the Mini using "Firewire target disk mode".

You'll need a firewire cable. You -might- need a "mixed" cable -- that is, one with a firewire400 connector on one end, and a firewire800 connector on the other. No problems, this will work fine.

If the g5 previous owner gives you a bunch of passwords to try, that's obviously the thing to try first...

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
Hey Fishrrman, yes I did get an old password that worked, so I changed the Admin account name to a simple "Admin" and have a basic password now I chose, but the drive name still reads the org. owners name "fox" and I don't know how to format it back to factory settings so to speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.