Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Apologies, I was confused. Yes, walking both pour and espresso lines is a challenge, but rewarding in my view. Relatively early on, you will figure out how many seconds one "click" on the grinder will give you, up or down. It looks like a very nice grinder.

Just a little Star Wars humor.....

Well I'm extremely excited. I've been lusting after a machine for a while. I was strongly considering a much cheaper (albeit Shrink approved) machine about 8 months ago, but I wanted to wait for a slightly more advanced setup. I'll have to pick up some beans when I get home, as I have nothing roasted on hand once I return. Thankfully, I can walk down the street to a grocery store which sells lots of local beans. They do enough turnover that I can usually get a bag that was roasted just a few days ago.

My only concern.....what if I never go back to pour over!:eek::p

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
My only concern.....what if I never go back to pour over!:eek::p

If that happens, it will be by your choice, and so will not be a bad thing. I am intense when it comes to espresso, but nearly every day, usually in the evening, I drink coffee prepared in some other way. Chemex, AeroPress, vac pot....there are so many great options. Perhaps, like me, your tastes will change from time to time for really no reason....you might go weeks without a pour over, and then drink nothing but pour over for a week.

Choice is wonderful, and you are about to have that in spades.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
If that happens, it will be by your choice, and so will not be a bad thing. I am intense when it comes to espresso, but nearly every day, usually in the evening, I drink coffee prepared in some other way. Chemex, AeroPress, vac pot....there are so many great options. Perhaps, like me, your tastes will change from time to time for really no reason....you might go weeks without a pour over, and then drink nothing but pour over for a week.

Choice is wonderful, and you are about to have that in spades.

Quite right. ;)

If anything, I'm going to buy a Chemex next.....:eek:

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Quite right. ;)

If anything, I'm going to buy a Chemex next.....:eek:

Stop teasing me.....

Woke up this morning to this sitting on the GS/3.

I love my wife.

14932753818_814f6e7268_z.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Update on Shrink

Shrink made it to the doctor today and they suspect he has pneumonia, hopefully the bacterial and not the viral kind. They gave him an antibiotic and the good cough medicine!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Your first shot will be better than the shots I was pulling in my 10th year of this madness, oh so long ago.....

……...
Cleaning is an incredibly important subject....but I am sitting in my home office whilst we have many guests over for a holiday party and if Mrs. Kurwenal finds me, I am a dead man. So I will cover that subject later. Srhink knows this machine, as I recall, so I would be inclined to follow the directions SG posted. You will end up with cleaning routines after every shot, daily, weekly, monthly and some tasks every quarter or annually.

There are those who say the advent of death is silent, but some of us know better……and death at the hands of our nearest and dearest is usually the most lethal that can be delivered…..

Stop teasing me.....

Woke up this morning to this sitting on the GS/3.

I love my wife.

Brilliant. This lady who married you is one classy individual…...

Probably payback for spending time with us on the computer during your dinner party yesterday. ;)

Yes, indeed. Actually, the same thought occurred to me.

Now, it is a little known fact that the solid currency of payback is bottomless, and is a rich and varied seam of endless wealth, and, it must be said, in the hands of the truly creative, the uses to which this currency can be put are very, very inventive…..

Shrink made it to the doctor today and they suspect he has pneumonia, hopefully the bacterial and not the viral kind. They gave him an antibiotic and the good cough medicine!

I am delighted to hear this; actually, firstly, I am delighted to hear that Shrink actually got to see a doctor, and secondly, that appropriate medical measures have been taken. Let us hope that rest, recovery and recuperation can now follow. And, above all, let us hope that Shrink returns to discuss grinders - the coffee thread is not the same without his thoughtful interventions…...

My cold is still with me, but has subsided to a large extent. Indeed, my hosts in Bristol included a doctor, who kept a close and watchful eye on me while I slept, and coughed, and sneezed, and spluttered, and rested, and read, (and used a credit card which they threatened to remove and lock up) and visited cathedrals and ancient English market towns…..under their tender and loving care……it was decided to let the thing (a bad cold brought on by absolute exhaustion) heal of its own accord, as I was resting; however, antibiotics had been threatened should the thing have shown little sign of wanting to heal….which was the case for much of the first week of my visit…..

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It was a good day at the mailbox today. :D

Incidentally---and completely OT---I also had a lovely care package come from friends in France. Finally I'm restocked with salt (gros sel de Guérande), herbs de Provence, salted caramel, and....apparently whisky from Brittany. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It was a good day at the mailbox today. :D

Incidentally---and completely OT---I also had a lovely care package come from friends in France. Finally I'm restocked with salt (gros sel de Guérande), herbs de Provence, salted caramel, and....apparently whisky from Brittany. :D

Excellent score of loot you have there matey!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent score of loot you have there matey!

Agreed. That is a package well worth receiving; enjoy - I know I certainly would….you have some very nice French friends...

And some appropriate music while I set up...

YouTube: video

Ah, now, you are pressing my buttons…….classical music and coffee, could anything better this?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just couldn't resist a quick post to extend my CONGRATULATIONS on leaping down the espresso rabbit hole!

It's not like you didn't know what you were getting in to...so ENJOY!:D

You're back! What a welcome and delightful surprise. Welcome back……you have been missed on these threads….especially on this particular oasis of civilised lunacy….

And I can only express the wish that your return to your very own favourite thread means a return (or the beginning of a journey which will lead to a return) to full and robust and hale and hearty health…..

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, that and so many other things!

Congrats mobilehaathi! In your honor.....

Welcome back!

Very clever, and very very funny. Bravo. Cue a round of deafening applause...

(And, yes, fear not, we are still warmly applauding the return to good health along with the return of his presence to the forums, and this thread in particular - of the inestimable Dr Shrink….)

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Very clever, and very very funny. Bravo. Cue a round of deafening applause...

(And, yes, fear not, we are still warmly applauding the return to good health along with the return of his presence to the forums, and this thread in particular - of the inestimable Dr Shrink….)

And hopefully celebrating the return of both of you to good health.

Would it be overly paranoid to wonder whether The Bacon Thread tried to wipe us out? You and Shrink, both sick at the same time and all.....

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Very nice! How did it taste?

I used Four Barrels Friendo Blendo Espresso and got bright citrus with almond as it cooled in the glass. Interesting espresso, but I'm going to have to pull a lot more shots before I can start critiquing individual pulls. :eek:

Just couldn't resist a quick post to extend my CONGRATULATIONS on leaping down the espresso rabbit hole!

It's not like you didn't know what you were getting in to...so ENJOY!:D

Oooh, that was the secret to getting you healthy. I just needed to start pulling shots! Quelle surprise...;)

Well, that and so many other things!

Congrats mobilehaathi! In your honor.....

Welcome back!

Cheers!

----------

Ah, now, you are pressing my buttons…….classical music and coffee, could anything better this?

Any button pushing is purely coincidental!:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And hopefully celebrating the return of both of you to good health.

Would it be overly paranoid to wonder whether The Bacon Thread tried to wipe us out? You and Shrink, both sick at the same time and all.....

Hm. This is a matter on which I cannot adjudicate, or offer an informed opinion - objective, evidence based - about. I will have to ponder further on this. The Bacon Thread? Are they neighbours, rivals, frenemies, or……?

However, in my case, I am quite aware that this struck when I took my first real holiday (as opposed to a break) in three years; and I'm still coughing resonantly, though a lot less than before. Mind you, my cold didn't put paid to the - my - copious consumption of either coffee or alcohol……..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.