Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Trying to find what would be the best text editor to replace dreamweaver, don't like the subscription deal, I code web sites, html css, js, php. Thx for your help

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Panic's Coda or SublimeText is what I use. I really try to start projects in Coda but I can't beat the flexibility of ST. I really like deploying with Beanstalk as well - not having to constantly use a ftp client is great.

Good luck.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
People here seems to like Coda, SublimeText, Espresso, Textmate and TextWrangler (for the hand-coders). Personally, I use Coda and Sublime Text. Coda is great (even if I mostly use the code pane and not really the WYSIWYG side of it). You should take a look at those options and see the pros and cons of each.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Brackets is my new tool of choice. It is open source and built with javascript with a large community of developers enhancing the program with extensions. It is a true modular coding application where "you" get to choose which features it has.

Just downloading it vanilla and judging it, like so many do, is not a true representation of what Brackets can really do. Most of the core functionality people say Brackets is missing already has extensions available. If there isn't an extension created create your own and share it with the community.

Brackets has real javascript debugging and integrates perfecvtly with Chrome for realtime HTML and CSS development. (no more hitting f5 for Dreamweaver users) Chrome will update the content of the page as you type it in Brackets.

I have just built a cross platform mobile app for the company I work for. It was 100% developed in Brackets and I never once felt it was lacking and in fact made the process so much better. hint: the Ripple Chrome extension is amazing when used with Brackets. It allows me to turn Chrome into a mobile device simulator to develop CSS styles.

Only thing currently a little lacking in Brackets is PHP support. There are a few extensions that really improve on this lack of support but it still isn't the best PHP solution. PHP Storm is currently better. Brackets however is getting better and there is now a movement in the Brackets community to enhance its functionality for PHP developers. I can almost do everything in Brackets with PHP including connecting to a local server but the formatting is a little funky.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
PhpStorm is by far and away the best editor I've found so far. Does php, html, css, js, etc.

Allows you to customize just about anything - and has an amazing syntax engine builtin to make managing my huge codebases a breeze. License is cross-platform as well, which is nice for people like me who use various systems.

Only thing I hate is its default options are absolutely lame. Uses spaces (instead of tabs), doesn't show line numbers by default, and on windows it defaults to windows newlines instead of os x/linux. All easily changed in the settings, but lame nonetheless.

rjweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Thx for all the info, I have dl brackets, but the preference tab is greyed out. i cannot make any preference adjustments that I want. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong, Thx RJ

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
There is no best editor or IDE, it's an extremely subjective topic and you really have to test them all to find out which one works best for you.

First you want to ask yourself: do you want an editor or IDE. IDE's tend to be slow and/or clunky since most are Java based under the hood, like Webstorm/Phpstorm ect... but do a lot of low level task like refactoring with ease and so one. Where as an editor will be fast, lighter more nimble, something like SublimeText, TextMate 2 alpha, Atom(GitHub's take, inspired by Sublime).

If you decide on Coda 2, I have converted a lot of popular themes:

Coda 2 Themes.

FWIW I exclusively use Sublime but that's due to years of workflow from TextMate and SublimeText 2 (now 3).

Best of luck finding the right tool for you.

rjweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Ipaintcode,

thx for your info and also the themes, now after I dl how do I go about installing them, thx again RJ

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Ipaintcode,

thx for your info and also the themes, now after I dl how do I go about installing them, thx again RJ

In the read me doc:
"##Usage
Double click the .sss theme you wish to install, within Preferences select the Color tab (It will be selected if you just double clicked .sss). Use the Style Sheet dropdown to select the new theme just installed. To add more you can repeat the process. Like to install entire collection? Select all .sss files and double click or press cmd + o. BOOM!"

rendyr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Personally, I'm in love with PHP Storm. I love the code hinting, auto completion, and various small feature that can speed up developing the website (I mainly use PHP, but I believe it also support HTML, Java, CSS, etc)

IMO, PHP storm is quite heavy and can be slow sometimes (on my old 2008 MB Aluminium). It also cannot open a single file for quick edit. I use Sublime Text for that purpose.

tadasZ

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Vilnius
Sublime Text - blazingly fast, keyboard shortcuts from heaven, lots of plugins.
PhpStorm - IDE for php/js development.
WebStorm - IDE for html/js development.

I love SublimeText, but *Storm as IDE is just simply amazing. But if you're using Dreamweaver then I think even TextEdit is better ;) If you're going to use Sublime Text i'd suggest starting from v3 (even if its still in beta). Don't forget that first few days after switching main editor are a little awkward but again if you're using Dreamweaver then its worth it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Netbeans is also worth a look - probably the closest you'll get to PHPStorm for free.

You can get instant preview, live CSS editing, JavaScript debugging etc. if you pair it with Chrome and install the NetBeans connector.

Like all the Java-based, crossplatform, IDEs it can be a bit of a hog, though.

andrep

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Trying to find what would be the best text editor to replace dreamweaver, don't like the subscription deal, I code web sites, html css, js, php. Thx for your help

Flux V is worth a look, the previous versions weren't that hot, but it's improved a lot, one downside is that it's Mavericks/Yosemite only, so you need a modern OS.

Sandvox is nice, but probably a little limited for your needs.

pitechindore

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
Indore
Best Editor

In my opinion you should use Sublime Text, the reason behind saying sublime text is that it is very reliable and a powerful text editor as per my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.