Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You've never used it!!!??? So how would you know?

This is a good point, none of us have used it, and we should give Apple a chance to announce it before moaning about a device we don't even know will be announced.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The iPhone 6 with the 5.5" display suffers from huge fat top and bottom bezels, sadly that makes it really large and cumbersome. The Samsung Note 3 has a larger really beautiful 5.7" display in a smaller compact body. It's much easier to use. I believe that's why Apples been very careful to hide the size of the phone.

According to the leaks, the 5.5" iPhone is narrower and thinner than the Note 3, and to me those dimensions are more important than the height.

Still, I would have to actually hold it before making final judgment, but I'm optimistic from the leaks.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
You've never used it!!!??? So how would you know?
Your question is meaningless.

I didn't say anything about it's use, I simply commented on its huge ugly bezels. No other phone with a 5.5" display is as ugly. Unless of course people like big chunky bezels for decorative purposes.

Everyone has different tastes. Plus many Apple buyers believe the company is superior to the rest. An opinion they're most certainly entitled to. It's only another phone from Apple.

Henke

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Your question is meaningless.

I didn't say anything about it's use, I simply commented on its huge ugly bezels. No other phone with a 5.5" display is as ugly. Unless of course people like big chunky bezels for decorative purposes.

Everyone has different tastes. Plus many Apple buyers believe the company is superior to the rest. An opinion they're most certainly entitled to. It's only another phone from Apple.

On the contrary , you're post was meaningless , you're post was laid out as if you have and used a iPhone 6. You are speaking like you have handled 1, you haven't. You do not know how it feels in you're hands, if it's useable easily etc, because simply you have never held an iPhone 6 5.5.

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
The iPhone 6 with the 5.5" display suffers from huge fat top and bottom bezels, sadly that makes it really large and cumbersome. The Samsung Note 3 has a larger really beautiful 5.7" display in a smaller compact body. It's much easier to use. I believe that's why Apples been very careful to hide the size of the phone.

They haven't been careful at all to hide the size of the phone, we have heard from these sizes even before the WWDC... If anything I even suspect them from leaking these pictures deliberately so that we can move our attention away from the iWatch and the AppleTV.

----------

What is the length in inches? Please put up a pic with the length and width in inches.

Oh some people... :D

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I believe that's why Apples been very careful to hide the size of the phone.

Apple's hiding the size of the iPhone 6?? :eek:
No kidding. Not to mention that they are hiding everything else....

Good grief, the craziness that comes out before an iPhone announcement.

icyvirtuoso23

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
I am unsure on whether this is real. If it is, I have my doubts on it launching on time, considering how many more leaks fot he smaller variant we have seen.

Honestly, I wouldn't so terribly bummed to wait a bit longer if Apple announces that it is for sure a thing. I wouldn't even mind paying for it now, or preordering at least, and having it ship when ready (within reason). What would bum me out is no mention of the 5.5" on the 9th and then Apple making another event for the 5.5" a few months later. In other words, I would like to know on the 9th what my options may be for this refresh.

I don't think Apple would have a separate event for it later this year because that would just kill it's sales big time as everyone would have gotten the smaller one already. It would likely be like what they did with the iPad mini last year, announce both at the same time and have a later release date for the 5.5" one.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't think Apple would have a separate event for it later this year because that would just kill it's sales big time as everyone would have gotten the smaller one already. It would likely be like what they did with the iPad mini last year, announce both at the same time and have a later release date for the 5.5" one.

Crossing my fingers for this :)

Or... a tandem release ;)

Henke

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Crossing my fingers for this :)

Or... a tandem release ;)

At the end of the day, apple is all about money, all companies are. It makes sense to release these phones if 2 of them, at the 1 time. That's the best business plan.

Reel in both 4.7 an 5.5 buyers at the 1 time, staggering will effect the sale of which is released 1st. As a section of buyers will wait to see/try out the other 1st by in large before buying if released at different times.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
At the end of the day, apple is all about money, all companies are. It makes sense to release these phones if 2 of them, at the 1 time. That's the best business plan.

They didn;t do that with the white iPhone 4.
They didn't do that with the 16GB iPhone (original).

I am not saying you are wrong. But sometimes supply constraints cause issues. It makes less sense for them to cancel a release altogether because, for whatever reason, it wasn't ready on time.

I am not saying this WILL happen or it is LIKELY to happen, but it certainly wouldn't be an unprecedented situation.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I think they wanted to release them at the same time, but just couldn't due to production issues like you mentioned.

Most of us are trying to predict what we'll see based on past behaviour, but we've seen enough from Apple to know now that it's useless to do that. Whether it's looks, features, size or whatever, people have thought Apple wouldn't do it due to whatever reasons, but they sometimes do.

If there is a 5.5" (and even a 4.7", which at this point, we pretty much know that there is), combined with the newer features like extensibility (apps talking to each other) and custom keyboards, Apple is starting to do a lot of things it said it wouldn't. Which is good.

They didn;t do that with the white iPhone 4.
They didn't do that with the 16GB iPhone (original).

I am not saying you are wrong. But sometimes supply constraints cause issues. It makes less sense for them to cancel a release altogether because, for whatever reason, it wasn't ready on time.

I am not saying this WILL happen or it is LIKELY to happen, but it certainly wouldn't be an unprecedented situation.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
While I won't be able to tell until I use one, from handling similar phones the 5.5 iPhone just seems massive. I personally would not want a phone that large and even 4.7 is getting a little big. I need to be able to type one handed. Depending on how it turns out I might stick with my 4S or grab a hopefully price reduced 5S.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think they wanted to release them at the same time, but just couldn't due to production issues like you mentioned.

Most of us are trying to predict what we'll see based on past behaviour, but we've seen enough from Apple to know now that it's useless to do that. Whether it's looks, features, size or whatever, people have thought Apple wouldn't do it due to whatever reasons, but they sometimes do.

If there is a 5.5" (and even a 4.7", which at this point, we pretty much know that there is), combined with the newer features like extensibility (apps talking to each other) and custom keyboards, Apple is starting to do a lot of things it said it wouldn't. Which is good.

That's my point though. Production issue rumors about the 5.5" have been more frequent than any other rumor about it lol.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
I want to like the iphone 6, especially the 5.5er, but I HIGHLY doubt it can even match, let alone beat the specs of the Note 4. Note has 3GB of memory, 6 is assumed to only have 1. Note comes with a 16mp camera and comes in more colors and has a larger (if the leak is accurate) battery.

But, I hate the Android operating system. At some point I have to weigh how much I like IOS vs having a well-equipped phone. I just feel like I'm always let down at these Apple reveals. So, here's hoping Apple pulls off a miracle. Not holding my breath though. I don't feel like Apple is leading or innovating anymore. :(

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I want to like the iphone 6, especially the 5.5er, but I HIGHLY doubt it can even match, let alone beat the specs of the Note 4. Note has 3GB of memory, 6 is assumed to only have 1. Note comes with a 16mp camera and comes in more colors and has a larger (if the leak is accurate) battery.

But, I hate the Android operating system. At some point I have to weigh how much I like IOS vs having a well-equipped phone. I just feel like I'm always let down at these Apple reveals. So, here's hoping Apple pulls off a miracle. Not holding my breath though. I don't feel like Apple is leading or innovating anymore. :(

The Note 4 needs 3GB of RAM to run an OS that will still deliver a choppy user experience while iOS can run on a more power efficient 1GB RAM and deliver a buttery smooth performance. High-end specs are cool to talk about but we shouldn't need near desktop like specs to run our phones.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
The Note 4 needs 3GB of RAM to run an OS that will still deliver a choppy user experience while iOS can run on a more power efficient 1GB RAM and deliver a buttery smooth performance. High-end specs are cool to talk about but we shouldn't need near desktop like specs to run our phones.

Good point. That's what I always disliked about the Androids was how choppy and rough they are.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
I tried the Android OS in 2010 and found it to have too much lag (choppy rough) for me. Has there been any improvement since then or does it still lag?

I'm not sure. Do you think on the Android forum they are talking about how they have better specs but wish their OS was smoother? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.