Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palolem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
I currently have a 2010 iMac running 3.06 intel core i3. I'm going to buy another 21.5 iMac and am wondering are they both the same dimension apart from one being slimmer then the other, would they fit nice together?

Anything is I want to join them together, is this possible and if so, how? Whats the benefit apart from looking cool?

palolem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
What I mean about joining then togather is were I can can transfer pictures other to the other iMac by sweeping them over.

brightjc@me.com

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
UK
Joining iMacs

You should probably use the old one as a second screen by connecting the thunderbolt port on the new one to the thunderbolt/mini display port on the old

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
As someone that uses it 2 computer set up iMac 2009 and iMac 2007 I would take a look at the following.

Teleport http://abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

Allows you to use one keyboard and mouse or trackpad or all three. It also can allow you to synchronise the clipboard and drag files from one computer to the other like you mentioned above.

Not recommended for large files, I would use AirDrop if available or configure your sharing settings also good if you've got external hard drive's which I would recommend plugging all into only one machine unless there for Time Machine backups for that machine only or another type of backup.

If you're connected to Wi-Fi to get Internet access, I would recommend joining the two machines together with an ethernet cable this will require some set up in the network system preferences pain. Also see below for the security portion.

Can't exactly remember the audio setup currently will have to have a look later.

I would recommend you set up a self signed certificate from with in Teleport as you don't want that sort of information that's getting transfer between machines sent in the clear.

Also the machine that doesn't have the keyboard and mouse set up you need to use automatic login as the Teleport application doesn't run at the login screen.

I have the computer set up to lock the screen and require a pass code which is triggered by my login items by an application that you can find for the current OS your running most likely called "SleepDisplay" if you don't want to use this method setup screen sharing and log into this machine manually each time.

iBook_Clamshell

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Here it is: The Double iMac :D
28m1a9z.jpg

Ha Ha I love drawing...
You could cut the front and back cases of both iMacs so it looks like the above, glue them together, then hook up the second screen by a thunderbolt cable inside the joined case.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
You should probably use the old one as a second screen by connecting the thunderbolt port on the new one to the thunderbolt/mini display port on the old

I'm pretty sure that would not work.

I would just get a second monitor to make it simply. I think I would take lots of effort to use them together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.