Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Since portability isn't a issue with the use of the backpack, which iPad do you decide to use.

depends what the iPad will be used for. if you are using your iPad as both a computer w/ BT keyboard for class notes and as a regular tablet you'll want the iPad Air. of course back when i was in college there were no tablets and the best laptop you could get was a giant 8lbs slab that got maybe 3 hrs max of battery life. when i went back for my masters i saw many students using their iPad 3's with the Logitech BT keyboard taking notes in Evernote or Notability i think it was called. i asked one of them how they get the notes from the iPad to their computer and they said all of their notes automatically sync with Evernote on their laptop so they have everything and since campuses are all wireless now it's done completely on the fly. i was impressed, i must say.

if you are already carrying around a laptop and you just want to have a tablet with you too, or you just want a tablet to read on...go with the iPad Mini Retina

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
In my opinion, the only benefit to the mini is portability. I carry my retina Mini in a coat pocket in the fall/winter, which is why I bought it over the Air.

If I carried a bag, I would have picked up the Air instead without hesitation. It's a significantly better experience in most apps.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have a iPad Air for home use wish is all so my main computer that I use ever day but when I go out I use the iPad mini 1. Wish is vary light. For my backpack and smaller Can't wait too upgrade too iPad mini 3. And. iPad Air 2 in nov saving up $ for them this do t no wish to get 1st. I think I may get the iPad Air 2 1st has it is my most main use then I will upgrade the iPad mini 1 to the iPad mini 3 2nd

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Thank you for your replies. Let's add another layer to this, if your a student which iPad do you prefer? Im debating which one would be better for viewing power points.

I am a rMini user. I prefer it because it weighs nothing and I can hold it one handed all day long.. The Air is heavier. After a while of one handed holding, the Air becomes uncomfortable to me.
Now, you want to hear everyone say the Air would be the better choice because you have a backpack, and because it's the tablet you want. So for you, the iPad Air is the best choice.
I take notes on my rMini. There is nothing that I can't do well on the rMini. I have the Air also but just because I can. I enjoy movies on the mini much as I enjoy them on the Air. But if you are going to view massive spreadsheets maybe the Air would be better... Actually AirPlay would be your vest option with either device. I've started rambling but maybe I helped? It's simply a matter of which one you want.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
Im an everyday backpack student guy and I sit here with both ipad 4 and mini retina.

Both wrapped in otterbox because ipad in the bottom of an everyday backpack in rain or snow, public transportation and bicycle i do not want anymore bumps on back of my mini (had smartcase before)

The mini was supposed to go in backpack and ipad 4 stay at home but mini stay in a drawer and the ipad 4 in the bag. Even the ipad4 is larger and heavier i go for the big screen.

If i could turn back time i would have got the air instead of mini retina. Not much bigger or heavy.

Dont make my mistake ...go for the air.

And also.. When iphone 6 5,5 comes out I see my mini retina even more "useless"

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I went from an iPad 2 to a retina Mini, and I must say that I use my iPad a lot more than I did before. It's just a lot easier to handle and I don't even know I have it with me when I go somewhere. The loss in screen size doesn't bother me at all, in fact I prefer the smaller one (for school and home use).

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
iPad Air. Carrying a backpack means distributed weight to both my shoulders. which mean I can carry more load

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.