Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Not true at all. The one and only reason Android has a marketshare lead is because people in most countries can't afford an iPhone, but they can afford a lousy $50 Android phone or a FREE one for joining some random carrier. Same thing here. You can get Android phones on the cheap at Walmart and most grocery stores, its quick, easy and cheap. Not to mention there are over 4 thousand Android phones to ONE iPhone. Marketshare means nothing. I have had all three Notes and will look at the 4, but with the larger screen iPhones weeks away now, I doubt I will end up with a Note.

Are you implying a lot of people simply do not prefer android? A lot of people prefer all different kinds of things...smh at the smugness of some people

Last edited:

callawayno1

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
Its just days left now but as i mentioned earlier i hope its water proof to if its not i am not getting it , i need that cause of the wheater here , so what do you guys think is it gonna be that ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Its just days left now but as i mentioned earlier i hope its water proof to if its not i am not getting it , i need that cause of the wheater here , so what do you guys think is it gonna be that ?
Think it's pretty much a lock to have the same as s5

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think Samsung believes waterproof is essential to the Note line.

In the leaked pictures there's no USB cover, so I would assume it's not waterproof.

I'd prefer that. I don't like USB covers and I never use my phone in the beach, swimming pool, etc.

Many people on the Z2 forum at XDA and other forums are having trouble with their cases not being 100% waterproof and Sony not taking responsibilities, claiming it's not covered by warranty.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Not true at all. The one and only reason Android has a marketshare lead is because people in most countries can't afford an iPhone, but they can afford a lousy $50 Android phone or a FREE one for joining some random carrier. Same thing here. You can get Android phones on the cheap at Walmart and most grocery stores, its quick, easy and cheap. Not to mention there are over 4 thousand Android phones to ONE iPhone. Marketshare means nothing. I have had all three Notes and will look at the 4, but with the larger screen iPhones weeks away now, I doubt I will end up with a Note.

One of the most elitist, self superiority, closed eyed, blinded, fact less, inaccurate, big headed, arrogant comments I have EVER read on this site. We'll done sir, bath in your self opulent opinions, we are not worthy to be in your elite iPhone owning presence.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
One of the most elitist, self superiority, closed eyed, blinded, fact less, inaccurate, big headed, arrogant comments I have EVER read on this site. We'll done sir, bath in your self opulent opinions, we are not worthy to be in your elite iPhone owning presence.

Well in all fairness his comment is probably accurate, yet his assessment of the importance of the marketplace is completely ignorant. Android's business is that of eyeballs, the more eyes on its advertising the better. They don't care if they give away phones or even lose money as they are in the business of getting more eyeballs. Apple on the other hand makes its money off of hardware sales and the app store, they make much more per consumer but have much less volume. The distribution numbers make sense if you understand their business models.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Well in all fairness his comment is probably accurate, yet his assessment of the importance of the marketplace is completely ignorant. Android's business is that of eyeballs, the more eyes on its advertising the better. They don't care if they give away phones or even lose money as they are in the business of getting more eyeballs. Apple on the other hand makes its money off of hardware sales and the app store, they make much more per consumer but have much less volume. The distribution numbers make sense if you understand their business models.

So your also stating that MOST other country's outside the elitist America, if you live in America, are so poor they can't afford to buy iPhones so they buy Android handsets?
You do realise that is what you just said right? The comment couldn't be any more blind then if you had no eyeballs.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So your also stating that MOST other country's outside the elitist America, if you live in America, are so poor they can't afford to buy iPhones so they buy Android handsets?
You do realise that is what you just said right? The comment couldn't be any more blind then if you had no eyeballs.

I'm not making any ethical judgments at all, but the worldwide numbers do point out to the majority of Android phones are sold at a very low price compared to an Apple phone. I'm not sure why you would take that personally. There are people in this world who cannot afford an iPhone, are you denying this or saying that it's elitist to point this out?

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
I'm not making any ethical judgments at all, but the worldwide numbers do point out to the majority of Android phones are sold at a very low price compared to an Apple phone. I'm not sure why you would take that personally. There are people in this world who cannot afford an iPhone, are you denying this or saying that it's elitist to point this out?

I think what people are getting at might be if they could afford an iPhone they'd definitely get one. Of course given that there really isn't an affordable iPhone, you really can't test things on either end.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I'm pretty sure that if you can afford a Galaxy Note or a galaxy S5 (devices that sell in their millions), you can afford an iphone.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008

Yes you are being elitist. Tell me what these 'most country's are then please? Then go off and remind yourself just how many country's sell the iPhone. Then ask yourself why is Apple selling the iPhone is all those different country's because according to you and the other guy, no one can afford an iPhone in these country's because they all buy Android phones.

You are not living in some sort of special bubble where you are a special rich person to own an iPhone.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yes you are being elitist. Tell me what these 'most country's are then please? Then go off and remind yourself just how many country's sell the iPhone. Then ask yourself why is Apple selling the iPhone is all those different country's because according to you and the other guy, no one can afford an iPhone in these country's because they all buy Android phones.

You are not living in some sort of special bubble where you are a special rich person to own an iPhone.

Wow, seriously this is hilarious. I'm NOT being elitist by saying that the majority of android phones which are sold are much cheaper than the iPhone. You seriously need to get a grip on reality man. I'm not making a judgement on WHY people in low income countries buy a cheaper Android phone, I'm just repeating the numbers that research shows. Now if you have research that tells me that the majority of consumers in those low income countries buy $599 android phones that would be a more apples to apples comparison to the iPhone.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...rtphone-share-are-junk-phones-selling-for-215
"IDC data shows 66% of Android's 81% smartphone share are junk phones selling for $215"

FYI I primarily own an Android phone and make enough money to afford whatever I want. Why do people get so bent out of shape with this?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Wow, seriously this is hilarious. I'm NOT being elitist by saying that the majority of android phones which are sold are much cheaper than the iPhone. You seriously need to get a grip on reality man. I'm not making a judgement on WHY people in low income countries buy a cheaper Android phone, I'm just repeating the numbers that research shows. Now if you have research that tells me that the majority of consumers in those low income countries buy $599 android phones that would be a more apples to apples comparison to the iPhone.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...rtphone-share-are-junk-phones-selling-for-215
"IDC data shows 66% of Android's 81% smartphone share are junk phones selling for $215"

FYI I primarily own an Android phone and make enough money to afford whatever I want. Why do people get so bent out of shape with this?

You've totally ignored my question. You also miss my entire point, you agreed with someone who stated:

Not true at all. The one and only reason Android has a marketshare lead is because people in most countries can't afford an iPhone, but they can afford a lousy $50 Android phone or a FREE one for joining some random carrier.

This comment implies the majority of people on the planet are poor, because the comment states MOST countries. That is where this elitist attitude comes from.
And those figures, from an Apple news website, does it state those phones are on contract then? Because the iPhone is cheaper than that on contract, free on some.

Anyway I'm stepping out from here as this isn't the thread. It is the Note 4 thread...

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
You've totally ignored my question. You also miss my entire point, you agreed with someone who stated:

Not true at all. The one and only reason Android has a marketshare lead is because people in most countries can't afford an iPhone, but they can afford a lousy $50 Android phone or a FREE one for joining some random carrier.

This comment implies the majority of people on the planet are poor, because the comment states MOST countries. That is where this elitist attitude comes from.
And those figures, from an Apple news website, does it state those phones are on contract then? Because the iPhone is cheaper than that on contract, free on some.

Anyway I'm stepping out from here as this isn't the thread. It is the Note 4 thread...

You took that wrong. I meant that in many countries, the cheapest iPhone is like $800. Who is their right mind is going to pay nearly $1k for an iPhone when you have Android phones sitting there for $100? Not many.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

You have an issue because someone else said "most" countries are poor? I'm not necessarily saying that, I'm saying that there are countries where due to peoples income or lack of it they need to purchase a less expensive smartphone. Whether they are choosing between a phone and food for their family, or simply getting a less expensive phone so they can have more disposable income for fun I can only guess at, but once again I'm not making a judgement here only an observation based on the research? By the way some of that research applies to the U.S. As for contracted phones those plans have traditionally been much higher than prepaid plans and a cheap phone, at least in the US. I'll be curious to see the numbers this past year and going forward as carriers have drastically lowered their prices coming pretty close to prepaid value, this is a first in the cellphone industry. So 1 1/2 years ago someone considering the iPhone on contract might have been looking at a $130/month bill and having to come up with $199 cash for that privilege, versus being on prepaid for $50/month.

But globally, heck look at what the top PC maker in the world is doing:
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...who-cant-afford-apples-iphone.html/?a=viewall
They are winning emerging markets such as some Asian countries, Indonesia, Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East, countries where Apple is weak because of it's high price.

Which question am I missing? Ask it in plain terms and I'll answer it. This is a seriously silly conversation.

----------

I think what people are getting at might be if they could afford an iPhone they'd definitely get one. Of course given that there really isn't an affordable iPhone, you really can't test things on either end.

Oh sure, I don't disagree with that at all. Though it sounds like he is taking offense that there are people in the world who cannot afford an iPhone.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I've always been able to afford any iphone, still purchased android though...

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I'm the only one who thinks that they should keep using 1080p screens? I prefer 12 hours on screen Web browsing time on 1080p rather than having 1440p and 8 hours time.

Last edited:

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
I'm the only one who things that they should keep using 1080p screens? I prefer 12 hours on screen Web browsing time on 1080p rather than having 1440p and 8 hours time.
The Galaxy S5 (1080p) version and the Galaxy S5 LTE-A (1440p) version, both have about the same on screen time. The higher resolution didn't hurt the battery life at all, especially not a dramatic 4 hour difference as you mentioned.

It didn't all come down to the S805 though, because the LG G3 (S801) and the LG G3 Cat. 6 (S805) have the same battery life. The S805 didn't increase the battery life on it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I read the Note 4 was rumoured to have a Snapdragon 810 SOC in it, I would be very surprised if it did, but if that is what it gets then it will be one very powerful device, certainly be able to match the Nvidia K1 let alone the Apple A8.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I read the Note 4 was rumoured to have a Snapdragon 810 SOC in it, I would be very surprised if it did, but if that is what it gets then it will be one very powerful device, certainly be able to match the Nvidia K1 let alone the Apple A8.

I don't think the 810 is slated to be released until 2015 so don't hold your breath for its inclusion in the Note 4. In fact, I don't believe the 805 has even been officially released in a device yet so not sure why you'd expect the Note 4 to leapfrog an entire generation of CPUs.

It's going to be plenty powerful with the 805 if that's what it does in fact get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.