Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emohelsing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Hello. I have a strange situation. I recently purchased a used iPhone. I checked it and Find my iPhone was apparently off (there is no iCloud account on it, I managed to erase it without it asking me for an ID or password). When I connect it to iTunes it says the "This iPhone is still linked to...." thing and it shows me an email address (i*****@gmail.com) that is not mine and won't activate. When I try to make an iCloud registration from the phone itself, it says "The maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this device."

When I bought the iPhone I followed all of Apple's tips on what to check and to ask the previous owner to erase the device. Doesn't erasing it remove it from their Apple Account and if not how can I find the previous owner's email in order to contact them and ask them to remove it? The device was erased, so it won't show me their email anywhere (e.g. FaceTime).

It's not the typical Activation Lock situation, so I hope someone can provide me with a solution. Thanks :)

emohelsing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
No, I used the "Erase all content and settings" thing from the phone itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.