Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suncrescent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Hi, I'm currently using mid-2012 13" MBA for iOS App Development primarily and as my everyday laptop, browsing, movies, spotify etc but not gaming.

I felt that the power is not enough and intrigued to upgrade to a rMBP, I even like its form factor more than MBA. I plan to buy the one with 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD and fortunately the price for newly release rMBP dropped to $1399 in my place. However, I manage to get a deal on late-2013 rMBP with same RAM and SSD capacity for $1199 (maybe it's so cheap for stock clearance but it is a new unit).

The difference is I got a previous gen rMBP however as I noticed the only difference is just 0.2GHz clock speed, no other significant different I can notice. I strongly feel that the $1199 rMBP is way more value-per-money purchase even though it is an older version.

What do you guys think? Buy the latest version for extra 0.2GHz and $200 more or stick with my plan? If go for $1399, why?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The difference just a small processor bump. I see no reason for you to spend more money on the newer minor refresh.

Save that $200 and get AppleCare instead. Way more useful. If you're in the US, B&H is a good place to get it legally and less than $200.

Hongolia

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Edmonton
Anyone else have thoughts on this? I was also considering a 2013 or 2014 rMBP but wasn't sure to go the refurbished route on a 2013 or the education route for a 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.