Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New photos shared by Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] once again claim to show a 2,915 mAh capacity battery from the 5.5-inch model of the iPhone 6. These details follow an earlier Nowhereelse.fr report that showcased a claimed rear shell from the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model.

iphone6-battery.jpeg
The battery in these latest photos appears identical to one detailed in a leak last month from Chinese site Apple Daily, down to the March 2014 manufacturing date. The authenticity of either part is unconfirmed, but both batteries have markings similar to other Apple batteries and appear to be sized for a larger iPhone model. Both are also still from the prototype stage, with placeholder text used in several locations on the batteries.

If legitimate, this 2,915 mAh capacity is a significant jump from the 1,560 mAh battery included in the iPhone 5s and the 1,810 mAh rumored for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6. It also places the iPhone 6 on par with other larger-sized phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8. A significantly larger battery for the 5.5-inch model compared to the 4.7-inch would be possible due to the much larger volume available inside the device with the larger display. That larger display may also arrive at much higher pixel count which would necessitate a larger battery to support it.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at a press event to be held September 9 at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California. The new iPhone 6 appears set to include a rounder design, faster A8 processor, improved Touch ID sensor, near field communications (NFC) capabilities, and a new camera stabilization feature.

Article Link: Prototype 2,915 mAh Battery for 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Once Again Shown in Photos

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
PSA! If Apple claims both the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen iPhone will have the same battery life, DON'T BELIEVE THEM!

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Prototypes don't necessarily mean final products.

But I think there's too many prototypes and leaks for the 5.5" iPhone for it not to exist at this point.

Last edited:

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Here's hoping it can do more than just power the 5.5".....and result in that top tier model having better battery life overall than previous iPhones.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
PSA! If Apple claims both the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen iPhone will have the same battery life, DON'T BELIEVE THEM!

So we assume the 5.5inch has longer battery life? like the 13" MBA vs the 11"?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If legitimate, this 2,915 mAh capacity is a significant jump from the 1,560 mAh battery included in the iPhone 5s and the 1,810 mAh rumored for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6. It also places the iPhone 6 on par with other larger-sized phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8.

So, if true, here's an opportunity to pair a genuinely larger battery with the oft-spun iOS & A8 optimizations to make this thing a leader in battery life. Over the last few months, there's been too much spinning of iOS and A8 optimizations to try to rationalize the use of an under-sized battery in iPhones (no surprise, that's what "we" do). This implies we might get BOTH Apple optimizations AND big battery. And, if so, GREAT!!!

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR

This may be the first iPhone that doesn't need to be charged several times a day. If Samsung can do it with the Note 3, surely Apple can figure it out with their own phablet.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
But the 5.5-inch doesn't exist.

I think the point was that it wasn't ready to come out because there were no part leaks. Now there are part leaks, so it probably WILL exist. It won't go on sale in September though. So in that sense, it still doesn't exist.

----------

Oh great, so Apple's 5.5" device is now on part with the battery size in competing 5.0" devices? How does the battery size compare with the Note? That would be a better apples to apples comparison.

But keep in mind that Apple and iOS is much more battery efficient. The 1,500 size iPhone 5 could easily outlast the Galaxy S4. A larger battery like this (which I don't entirely believe will be that big) will easily make it through even the longest day of heavy use. At that point it doesn't really add much to go bigger. You won't ever get the battery big enough to be sure you can make it through the weekend without your charger. And if you have to take a charger with you then there isn't much added value to more battery life.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
5.5 is alive

Looks like the 5.5 version is happening launch day for the iPhone 6. Just waiting on final contract price....

$399?
$299?
$249?

Seems like $199 will be for the base model of 4.7 iPhone 6.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
An iPhone with 2+ days battery life I could see myself ponying up $1000 for again. Otherwise I'll likely just stick with my 5s until one of the new crop of astonishingly full featured and well made $200 Android phones is so good I'll have to get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.