Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Georgia is set to gain its sixth Apple retail location this Saturday, with the grand opening of the new Apple Store at Atlanta's Cumberland Mall. Located in the Cumberland district of Atlanta, the two-story mall houses more than 100 retail stores and restaurants.

cumberlandstore.jpg
The new Cumberland Mall location is the third Apple Store in Atlanta, joining two other retail stores at Lenox Square and Perimeter Mall. There are also stores in Augusta, Buford, and Alpharetta.

Apple's Cumberland Mall store will open at 10 a.m. local time on Saturday, September 6. As is common with new store openings, employees will likely hand out T-shirts to the first customers to visit the new location. The store has already begun accepting reservations for workshops and Genius Bar appointments.

Article Link: Apple to Open New Retail Store in Atlanta on Saturday, September 6

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
They need one up the road in Chattanooga >.<

Marietta is a traffic cesspool.

It's should be close to the new Brave's stadium.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Portugal

They absolutely need one in Portugal. Let me tell you more: The simple fact that Apple doesn't have one here is the strongest indication yet that Apple is doomed!

:p

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Perfect, this is less than 5 minutes from my house.

I now have 3 Apple stores within 25 minutes! My wife is gonna live this (kidding..and neither will my wallet).

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Marietta is a traffic cesspool.

Cumberland Mall is a cesspool. Can't figure out why they'd move in there other than cheap rent. Apple needs stores in places like Atlantic Station in the city, or the more upscale open air malls that are prevalent out in the suburbs. Atlanta being pedestrian-unfriendly, those are the only real options outside of malls unfortunately.

Andy Helm

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Chattanooga next

I agree. Not sure why Atlanta gets another store.

Chattanooga has a strong tech and apple userbase. I hope Apple decides to open a store in Chattanooga in the near future.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
People who live in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming are still waiting for their first Apple store.

With a combined population of 5 to 6 million, that means there are at least a few Mac users still waiting for a Genius Bar in their state.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Cumberland Mall is a cesspool. Can't figure out why they'd move in there other than cheap rent. Apple needs stores in places like Atlantic Station in the city, or the more upscale open air malls that are prevalent out in the suburbs. Atlanta being pedestrian-unfriendly, those are the only real options outside of malls unfortunately.

Atlantic Station would be nice!

----------

People who live in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming are still waiting for their first Apple store.

With a combined population of 5 to 6 million, that means there are at least a few Mac users still waiting for a Genius Bar in their state.

North Dakota... Does anyone actually live there?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I agree, even though I live minutes away from the Cumberland Mall, it is a terrible mall and an awful place to spend time. This will be the only reason I go there.

Atlantic Station would be a much better option. It's one of our favorite places to go, walk around, grab dinner and see a movie. With all the foot traffic and families, etc., it'd be the perfect place for an Apple Store.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree with Cumberland Mall area being run down etc. I am surprised Apple made that kind of move. Not worth the drive.

Thank God I have a much closer option with Mall of Georgia. And if I want to travel a little, Lenox Square is my old stomping ground.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Yes this is right by me!! I agree with posters above. I don't love this mall. Perimeter is much better. However now this mall checks off 3 boxes:

It's close
It has a Cheesecake Factory :)
And now an Apple store!!

What more do you need in life?? Lol

MiltonThales

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Suwanee, GA
Not in Atlanta

While its ZIP code may say Atlanta, the new store - like Cumberland Mall - is in Cobb County, and nowhere near the Atlanta City limits. It would be better described as being in Smyna, the nearest city, like the other stores mentioned in Buford (Mall of Georgia) and Alpharetta (North Point Mall).

The zip codes in Atlanta - as determined by the US Postal Service - have lots of codes that say "Atlanta" but have nothing to do with the city. It was more popular to have an "Atlanta" address than say "Sandy Springs" or "Dunwoody" when those areas weren't able to incorporate themselves.

Edit: By the way, Perimeter Mall isn't in the city of Atlanta either. It's either in Sandy Springs or Dunwoody, depending on where the county line falls between Fulton and DeKalb. So Atlanta really only has 1 Apple store, at Lenox Mall.

Last edited:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

+111111111111111111111

Cumberland Mall is a frigging p-hole. Nasty as all get out. It's not even in our list of malls to visit IF we go out to a mall.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
North Dakota... Does anyone actually live there?

There is probably 10-50 macs in the entire state of North Dakota.

----------

5 or 6 million spread across 6 states isn't allot at all. The city of Los Angeles has 4 Million alone, and 17 mil in the entire metro area. Even if there was a significant user base, most would be commuting 1-2 hours anyway.

There is probably a combined user base of only a few thousand people in the combined states of Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas. These states will probably get a simplyMac store at best. Same for Vermont. I could see an Apple Store in Charleston though.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Can we please get some more in the UK already..

For the size of this country it should not take so long to get to a store.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Definitely not the greatest mall around. They would have been better off at the mall in Kennesaw, which is actually quite a bit nicer. But this does give the Kennesaw/Vinings/Smyrna/Marietta areas an Apple Store now as the others are pretty far away when you consider Atlanta traffic.

While I definitely agree with others that this mall is not that nice; the Braves will be playing right near there soon so I see this area picking up in the next few years quite a bit. There's a lot of nice areas to live around there and nice places to work, offices, etc.....this mall just isn't that great.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Cool!

----------

Let it be said, the Lenox Square Apple Store used to be nice... It's become a zoo - simply because it's so crowded all the time. I remember when it first opened in 2003 (I believe). I went to the OS X Panther launch!

Tuck

audieddie

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
I agree with Cumberland Mall area being run down etc. I am surprised Apple made that kind of move. Not worth the drive.

Thank God I have a much closer option with Mall of Georgia. And if I want to travel a little, Lenox Square is my old stomping ground.

It makes perfect sense. If you look a little further out in time, say a year or two, the new Braves stadium will RIGHT NEXT DOOR, with a massive redevelopment of the area rivaling Atlantic Station, with mixed use (work/live/play) going on right there. Cumberland is slated for a significant overhaul.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
While its ZIP code may say Atlanta, the new store - like Cumberland Mall - is in Cobb County, and nowhere near the Atlanta City limits. It would be better described as being in Smyna, the nearest city, like the other stores mentioned in Buford (Mall of Georgia) and Alpharetta (North Point Mall).

Huh? Nowhere near? Are you even remotely familiar with the area? It's literally a couple miles from the Fulton Co.-ATL city/Cobb Co. line. (N. ATL High School is right near that line too.) A couple more miles down N'Side and you are in Buckhead. In fact the ATL skyline is in clear view from many of the high rise buildings in the area. Cumberland Mall has been considered a close-in ATL retail venue since I was a kid in the 70s. That's not true with Buford or Alpharetta which were out in the sticks back then, and still a schlep to the city b/c of traffic.

Anyway, it's a bit surprising Apple would open up in Cumberland since it's a "B" mall (no upscale anchors and other stores are also a bit downmarket) even after the recent renovation and expansion. But Apple did need to relieve pressure from the always too busy Perimeter store and Cumberland is the last big close-in ATL mall w/o an Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.