Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
It was an unfortunate series of events!

Entirely not my fault. ;)

Indeed, sounds rather unfortunate, but I'm glad to see it looks like it's working out at least well enough. I have a feeling you will get your iOS 7 quite well dialed-in by the time the rest of us are comfortably ensconced in iOS 8 :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I assume without reading the rest of the thread, that the OP already got a replacement device?

If not, do a iCloud backup and restore the phone in the Apple Store with one of the store computers. Hell you can even create an encrypted backup on the store computer and move the backup folder to a USB drive (be sure to delete the backup from the store computer).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Indeed, sounds rather unfortunate, but I'm glad to see it looks like it's working out at least well enough. I have a feeling you will get your iOS 7 quite well dialed-in by the time the rest of us are comfortably ensconced in iOS 8 :p
LOL. We'll see what happens, but iOS 8 I think is something I might like better over 7.

This is how I see things in the new year once we get our refund…

- Switch to T-Mobile. Yeah, I know, coverage outside citys, but I live in Phoenix, supposedly one of their top markets, and I rarely leave the city.

- Purchase two used T-Mobile iPhone 5s (5 as in plural, not the 5s) and activate them on T-Mobile.

- Upgrade my wife and I to iOS 8.

My problem right now is that certain aspects of iOS 7 are off putting me to the extent that I'm not WANTING to spend as much time customizing as I would normally do. The trial alone of getting Copic and BiteSMS re-licensed on the new device was agonizing. And I'm waiting on three or more major tweaks that I depended on. Gridlock, Dashboard X, Mail Enhancer, and a few others.

I think the best I can hope for with iOS 7 is tolerance. I should be clear though in that I don't hate my iPhone, but iOS 7 is not helping.

Note, I'm just whining. I'll adjust at some point. :)

----------

He'll be on iOS 7 while we're updating to iOS 9:D
Maybe there will be a way to downgrade to iOS 6 by that point, LOL.

Just kidding!

----------

No he's gonna have to get a new phone sooner or later :D
LOL, yeah sooner probably, but probably not an iPhone 6. More likely another 5 on T-Mobile. :D

----------

I assume without reading the rest of the thread, that the OP already got a replacement device?

If not, do a iCloud backup and restore the phone in the Apple Store with one of the store computers. Hell you can even create an encrypted backup on the store computer and move the backup folder to a USB drive (be sure to delete the backup from the store computer).
That was a suggestion made earlier and I didn't realize I could do that. However, this is where I'd be too big of a chicken to try it. I just rescheduled my appointment and used the Mac Pro at work for all of that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
How come you won't be upgrading?
Right now, if all the pictures of the iPhone 6 are true, I do not care for the look. Looks are a very big factor for me because I only upgrade every 2 to 3.5 years and I'm going to be using that phone for the entire time. We don't sell our phones (my wife and I).

I prefer black phones. It's been that way since my Sanyo Katana and since I started caring about the phone I was carrying. I might go as far as the 5s, but I'm not really into Gray so we'll probably stick with the 5.

Of course, the iPhone 6 has not been announced yet, so everything I've just said is subject to change because no one really knows what the iPhone 6 looks like until it actually is announced.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So…Reminders app. POS!

I actually had to GOOGLE how to add a GD reminder. Totally non-intuiative! Tap in the body of the reminders. Only doing that has you editing the reminders you already have! So you have to scroll to the bottom of the damn list. If you have lots of reminders (like I do) this is a giant PITA!

No button, nothing. Just tap the screen. Makes no sense whatsoever!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Ringtones restored (mostly). iBooks restored. Camera shutter sound killed. Working on getting the SentMessage.caf file killed. I renamed it, but since I'm using BiteSMS I don't know if that's the right file or not.

EDIT: Got it! Just needed to reboot!
EDIT2: AH, OK, Got it better! biteSMS being a tweak, I only needed to respring. I changed my text tone in Settings but it was not reflecting in bite. Once I resprang it worked correctly.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Allright. I don't care for the way Forecast iOS 7 handles things, so I modified an HTC flipclock iWidget and put it on my screen using LockHTML3.

Used to have a flipclock with animated weather on my old Touch Pro so while this is not perfect (no animated weather), at least it's more acceptable than what Forecast is giving me. However, it doesn't use GPS, so it's stuck on my home city. Consequently I just hid Forecast except for it's actual second forecast page, which will show my current city.

Comfortable with this for now.

Attachments

• 2014-09-05 22.16.31.png
    2014-09-05 22.16.31.png
    553 KB · Views: 65

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Dude, what is it with that wallpaper picture?:D
LOL! It's just me. Honeymooner fan, but particularly an Audrey Meadows fan. :)

I have a pattern that started with OS9 and moved over into my phones and OSX. I'll go crazy finding wallpapers until I narrow it down to what I want for a device/computer. Once I've done that I generally stick with the theme and at that point wallpaper gets changed very, very rarely.

Since 2012 I've had maybe a total of five wallpaper changes on this iPhone. All along the same line.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
LOL! It's just me. Honeymooner fan, but particularly an Audrey Meadows fan. :)

I have a pattern that started with OS9 and moved over into my phones and OSX. I'll go crazy finding wallpapers until I narrow it down to what I want for a device/computer. Once I've done that I generally stick with the theme and at that point wallpaper gets changed very, very rarely.

Since 2012 I've had maybe a total of five wallpaper changes on this iPhone. All along the same line.

Lol:)
Nice.
I usually stick with my teams logos usually.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Lol:)
Nice.
I usually stick with my teams logos usually.
Well, you know what you like, which is good. I spend a lot of time with my devices which is why not having things the way I want them makes me so damn frustrated.

Went back to Forecast after fooling around with some other stuff messed up what I had last night. Sigh.

Oh well. I installed the Avenir font last night and that seems to have made the clock and weather info that Forecast uses better.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well…took some time. But finally got my animated weather back.

It's a modified HTC Animated forecast iWidget that I stripped all the text, forecast and clock out of just to get the animation. The Forecast tweak has animations of course, but they include their own backgrounds. I want MY background.

Suddenly, things are better!

Modifying the carrier logo is next.

Attachments

• 2014-09-07 17.06.07.png
    2014-09-07 17.06.07.png
    795.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.