Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcaswell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I am an OSX new-be, so forgive me if I am asking a silly question.

I have two email accounts, and somehow the outbound SMTP details for one have been entered for the other. Thus I cannot send emails (although I can receive them)

I cannot find out where to amend the email account details. It ought to be in System Preferences / Internet Accounts, but the Details selection there, whch should, I feel, allow me to make these changes, gives me very little scope.

I have also tried within the Email app itself, and I get the same result.

So - can someone suggest how I can change SMTP details (and indeed, any other details)

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
So - can someone suggest how I can change SMTP details (and indeed, any other details)

Go to Mail Preferences, Accounts, highlight an account and towards the bottom of the page is an option to select your outgoing SMTP server for that account from a list. Also in that drop-down selection box is an option to edit the SMTP server list, so there you can change details about any of the servers in the list.

milknhoney

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
Can't send email

I have the same exact problem and cannot find anything in email preference that helps. Maybe I'm looking for email preferences in the wrong place? When I try to send email I get the message Cannot Send
Email The User Name or Password or "smtp:milknhoney@smtp.comcast.net is incorrect.

Last edited:

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Maybe I'm looking for email preferences in the wrong place?

Open Mail.

Go to the menu bar at the top of your screen, click on Mail, and select Preferences. Once Preferences is open, click on the Accounts tab. Everything you need to configure for an email account to send and receive mail is on that Accounts tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.