Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nordstrom may be one of Apple's first merchant partners when Apple launches its upcoming mobile payment initiative, reports Bank Innovation. Apple is said to be in talks with Nordstrom about its payments service, suggesting Nordstrom could be one of the first retailers to support payments via iPhone.
The "talks" Nordstrom and Apple have been engaged are related to payments -- but the extent of those talks is unclear. Apple was looking for a clothing brand with a large physical reach, our source said, but also with an established and high-end brand. With a strong brick-and-mortar presence, but with a focus on digital innovation as well, our source said Nordstrom was a "great" pick for Apple.
Nordstrom is a logical partner for Apple, as its retail stores already use Apple's iPhones and iPads as point-of-sale systems. According to Nordstrom employees, Apple's mobile point-of-sale systems are purchased directly from Apple and were updated to work with 'the most recent iPhones" just a few weeks ago. Bank Innovation suggests that Nordstrom's current point-of-sale systems, which are said to be the same as Apple's own in-store EasyPay systems, may possibly be compatible with Apple's upcoming mobile payment service.

Earlier this year, a report suggested Apple was speaking with several high-profile retail store chains about a mobile payment service, in order to retailer gauge interest and explore possibilities for a unified payment service, and Nordstrom may have been included in these talks.

easypay_concept.jpg
EasyPay mobile payments concept by Ricardo Del Toro

In addition to partnering with retailers, Apple is also said to have signed deals with American Express, MasterCard, and Visa for its mobile payments initiative, which will likely leverage technologies like NFC, Bluetooth, and iBeacons, in addition to Touch ID, Apple's fingerprint-sensing security technology.

According to reports, Apple's payments service will allow iPhone owners to use their devices to make payments both online and in retail stores. Apple is expected to announce its mobile payments initiative during its September 9 media event.

Article Link: Apple Discussing Mobile Payments Partnership With Nordstrom

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I rarely shop there. I guess I will wait till it shows up at Starbucks. I expected Starbucks to be one of the first ones.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
This is amazing! Now when I shop at Nordstrom once every 7 seven years, I can save 10 seconds on swiping my card!

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
This would have been convenient for me maybe 1 time in the last 10 years. But it's the first step, not the last.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Seriously?

Nordstrom's? What % of the iPhone toting population shops there, even twice a year? :eek:

How about getting some "basic" stores on board?

Suggestions, people, suggestions! :D

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
It's important to have a showcase for the technology. If Nordstrom's is just an update away from having the necessary functionality working, then it makes perfect sense to go to them first.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Nordstrom is a great store, but they are damn pricey to shop at. I think the are basically against running sales, or discounting merchandise more than twice a year.

It's a retail start should this be true. Be happier to see target, macys, etc that most may frequently visit.

I bet Costco is on board out of the gate.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
If they can't get everybody on board right out of the gate, it's good to focus on fancy stores rather than not. Obviously we'd love Walmart & Target, but better Nordstrom than Dollar Tree.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Nordstrom's? What % of the iPhone toting population shops there, even twice a year? :eek:

How about getting some "basic" stores on board?

Suggestions, people, suggestions! :D

Look, I get it that Nordstrom is pricey, but come on. Think about it. They obviously are doing very well, because they make a lot of money ($12.5B revenue, $734M net in FY 2013).

How many of those shoppers do you think are carrying Android devices vs iPhones?

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Soon we will have Apple Financial Services to provide credit cards to those who wish to have one just for the sake of being Apple centric-not a bad way to make more $. Caveat: scores below 680 need not apply.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
They plan to add these guys 1-at-a-time?

Why not partner with credit card swiper companies or something, so that these sorts of abilities start showing up at gas stations, liquor stores, targets, grocery stores and everywhere else a credit card is manhandled. Once that works spiffily, then we can all collectively work on how to get it to work at restaurants (and if we get off the tip-for-service system during this time, so much the better)

kdarling

macrumors P6
As long as their main NFC payment app works at any store, on any credit or debit card that I wish to register...

... then Apple can come up with all the proprietary store-specific extras they want, as far as I'm concerned. (Probably some kind of iBeacon sales / coupons to go with the store and purchase.)

Just don't lock me into certain stores or cards.

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
I'm 100% on board with this.

Nordstrom is a great store and it's well worth it shopping there during their sales. Plus the customer service and return/exchange policy are second to none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.