Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Is there a place to sell your old hard drive? I recently upgraded to a SSD and have my old hard drive sitting around. I'm sure I could just recycle it, but would like to get cash for it.

Is there like a place I can do that like I would a cell phone? Thanks

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
You could put it in the MacRumors market place. I'm sure someone would be interested for the right price.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
don't have enough post...to post there...

First off, can't you use it for backup? If your data are important then you need more than just one backup copy.

The obvious places to sell or Craigslist and eBay. DOn't expect a lot of money for a used drive. And after a while you will be able to post here.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I"ve sold a few drives on craigslist, but for very little money. Three years ago a guy paid me $50 for a 1 TB disk that was less than a year old.

I have a bunch of 3 TB disks on the shelf and I'd consider myself lucky if I could get $50 each on my local craigslist. I doubt I can, so I'm not even trying.

OP, ChrisA makes a good point. Get an inexpensive enclosure and bingo, there's a backup drive for you.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Well I could, I already have an external drive... Guess I can always sell it with the computer whenever I sell that. Or just wait. Thanks

lumencreative

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
Lancashire
I would go as far as to suggest using it to backup your external hard drive. I've lost count of the number of backups I've lost due to drive failures...I now have:

Mac Mini connected to a 2TB External Drive which then syncs to Dropbox. I'm also going to be buying a NAS drive shortly as an extra backup.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Get an external dock, like the Plugable one, and use it as a spare. Even if you have a backup a clone is nice to have. You could load Yosemite on it and try it out without having to mess up your main drive or your backup. Then when you finally switch to the new system sell it.

Or pop it into your optical drive space if your MBP has one.

Rob

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
The thing is, a hard drive is already so cheap and relatively few people upgrade their own computers, so the market is small compared to an iPhone. Tons of people will take a used, last year iPhone for $400 instead of ponying up whatever a brand new one costs. But, you can get a brand new 1TB 2.5" HD for $65. Not many people would rather have a (presumably smaller) used HD for $35 instead, especially given the fragility and importance of a HD. Then you have the effort of wiping the drive completely and the concern that someone might find something if you didn't wipe it correctly...

You might get a few nibbles on Craigslist for $20, but there's no service that does this like Gazelle because there's simply not enough profit margin to make up for the low volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.