Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
My File Chache on my RAM is WAY to big. Have a look at this picutre
5ufw9k.png

That is IDLING!!! I can't hardly even play tf2 on maxed out settings for more than an hour without it running out of memory! On my old macbook(with 2GB of RAM) the file cache was TINY(~100MB)! Why is it so high, and how can I fix it?
Computer specs are THERE VVVVVVVVV

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My File Chache on my RAM is WAY to big. Have a look at this picutre
That is IDLING!!! I can't hardly even play tf2 on maxed out settings for more than an hour without it running out of memory! On my old macbook(with 2GB of RAM) the file cache was TINY(~100MB)! Why is it so high, and how can I fix it?
It is quite normal for all of your memory to be in use by OS X. It does not mean that you are running out of memory or that it is maxed out. OS X will manage all available memory, making it available to apps on an as-needed basis. Refer to the following Apple support article for more information on how to understand your Activity Monitor readings.
The combination of Free, Wired, Active, Inactive & Used memory statistics in previous versions of Activity Monitor have been replaced in Mavericks with an easy to read "Memory Pressure" graph.
Memory pressure is indicated by color:
  • Green – RAM memory resources are available.
  • Amber – RAM memory resources are being tasked.
  • Red – RAM memory resources are depleted and OS X is using the drive for memory.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
My File Chache on my RAM is WAY to big. Have

I took 5 seconds to google your issue with TF2 and there are reports of a memory leak on TF2. I would go post on TF forum and see if they can help with some tweaks or a patch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.